Hua Hin Airport expansion to help transform sleepy resort into a truly international tourist destination

webfact

I'll believe it when it has been completed.  Seven years ago I visited Hua Hin as a tourist and found a couple of real estate agents to show me a few rental properties (I was looking for a place to move once I retired in the US).  Both were talking up the high speed rail project at that time.  Sometime after retiring to Hua Hin I decided that high speed rail was never going to happen here in my lifetime (though many people and the Thai gov't were still talking about it).  Several months ago I read a story on this forum which stated that the rail project had finally been cancelled (or shelved) due to a lack of foreign investment interest. Duh!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Sure you are in the right place? I've lived there nearly twenty years and never seen a mountain close by. 

Right now, AQI count is an "unhealthy" 151 and the PM2.5 count of 56.2 is more than twice the WHO safe limit.

Hope you're wearing a good quality mask!

Yeh I've lived here 15 years too.

Maybe mountains is a stretch but hills toward Hub Kapong.

I don't mean I live in the mountains, they are just around where I live

Have you got a machine or just using the apps?

18 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

I don't trust those apps 100%, there is a strong breeze everyday at the moment so I can't believe the air is too bad here. I used to have to use a ventolin inhaler in the UK, never touched it whilst living here!

Your becoming stronger!.  Here in Bangkok we are breading a new version of human to compete with New Delhi.  Able to withstand any toxic environment ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Yeh I've lived here 15 years too.

Maybe mountains is a stretch but hills toward Hub Kapong.

I don't mean I live in the mountains, they are just around where I live

Have you got a machine or just using the apps?

Both. I'm a belt and braces bloke!

On 2/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, Krataiboy said:

Sure you are in the right place? I've lived there nearly twenty years and never seen a mountain close by. 

Right now, AQI count is an "unhealthy" 151 and the PM2.5 count of 56.2 is more than twice the WHO safe limit.

Hope you're wearing a good quality mask!

If you look at the contributors map there are only 2 stations ToyotaSureMuangPetch by CSE - Tha Yang air quality index (reading 161) and Hua Hin International School - Hua Hin air quality index ( reading 159 ) both 20km away from Cha-am and both in built up areas with plenty of traffic, these readings are only averaged for other areas without any monitoring stations, if you go 10km slightly south of the school monitor to Sansiri - Autumn Hua Hin air quality index the index is only reading 90, they are not that accurate unless you have one of the monitoring stations within a couple of km from your location, or buy one of their $300 USD monitors and add it to the public domain for tracking

Edited by kmj

On 2/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, NCC1701A said:

i live in Hua Hin and as all things Thai the planning is non existent.

or is maximized to include corruption like unnecessary motorbike taxis.  

they don't even have a baht bus route to the new bus terminal yet.

all they have to do is make the U-turn one more U-turn north to include the terminal but no.

Note the article says nothing about a start date for renovation of Hua Hin Airport.

The new rail line is clearly coming in, and the new roads to the North and South of HH are complete. 

The HiSos and Chinese are going to continue buying condos here. If improved rail and air travel means they stop driving their cars to HH, it will be a welcome relief. It’s not the number of cars that’s a problem; it’s that BKK people all drive too aggressively.

If the foreign tourists are funneled to the empty developments and beaches between Hua Hin and Cha’am, that’s a good thing for the local economy. And if the tax revenue gives the mayor the budget he needs to install proper sidewalks in town, it’s also welcome. And a North-South trolley from Soi 6 to Soi 112 would actually reduce the current traffic quite a bit. It’s all doable, we just don’t have faith it will get done.

Of course, if a thousand Chinese tourists show up on my beach one morning, we have a serious problem.

13 hours ago, kmj said:

If you look at the contributors map there are only 2 stations ToyotaSureMuangPetch by CSE - Tha Yang air quality index (reading 161) and Hua Hin International School - Hua Hin air quality index ( reading 159 ) both 20km away from Cha-am and both in built up areas with plenty of traffic, these readings are only averaged for other areas without any monitoring stations, if you go 10km slightly south of the school monitor to Sansiri - Autumn Hua Hin air quality index the index is only reading 90, they are not that accurate unless you have one of the monitoring stations within a couple of km from your location, or buy one of their $300 USD monitors and add it to the public domain for tracking

I am aware of the paucity of air quality monitoring stations south of Bangkok, and I have an air quality monitor so I can take my own readings. I would advise anyone who is serious about protecting their health to do the same.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, NCC1701A said:

i live in Hua Hin and as all things Thai the planning is non existent.

or is maximized to include corruption like unnecessary motorbike taxis.  

they don't even have a baht bus route to the new bus terminal yet.

all they have to do is make the U-turn one more U-turn north to include the terminal but no.

Last time I made a U-turn in Hua Hin it cost me 500baht. And I was just following the bike that did it just before me.... Nowadays, I'm very careful where I make my U-turns in HH.

I've lived in Hua Hin for 3 years, and I love living here, but I wouldn't come here if this was to be my big Thai holiday. There's really not much to do here compared to other places in Thailand. I can think of a lot of other places I'd go for my getaway holiday.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:06 PM, Misab said:

I think 45 meter is print error.

For International flight it should be about 60-meter-wide and 3,7 km long.

As I understand it Hua Hins runway at the present is 35-meter-wide and 2,1 km. long so adding 45 meters makes it 2,145 km long.  

There is no space beyond 45 meters runway extension on the north side - extending the runway over the bay side would cost a ton more money.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

I am aware of the paucity of air quality monitoring stations south of Bangkok, and I have an air quality monitor so I can take my own readings. I would advise anyone who is serious about protecting their health to do the same.

Yes due to some health issues I also have one but it rarely goes above 120 where I live in the centre of cha am .5 km from the beach with little traffic in the area most times

4 hours ago, kmj said:

Yes due to some health issues I also have one but it rarely goes above 120 where I live in the centre of cha am .5 km from the beach with little traffic in the area most times

Is that the AQl reading or the PM2.5 level? If the latter, a reading of 120 is over four times higher than the WHO "safe" level for these highly toxic particulates responsible for lung and heart disease - and possibly Alzheimer's.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:48 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Of course it's not correct. Superb journalism decided to drop the zero after the figure 45. After all, if zero means nothing why use it?

I just did a Google search for Hua Hin airport and it looks as though 45 metres is correct.

However it appears that the runway will be widened from 35 to 45 metres along its 2,100 metres. It looks as though they may have to extend the runway as well.

https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/hua-hin-airport-entrepreneurs-required/

Quick Facts:

The runway has a length of 2,100 metres and a width of 35 metres.  It has high runway light intensity.
There are three taxiways with a combined length of 320 metres.
A concrete apron beside the terminal covers an area of over 12,000 square metres.
The passenger terminal has an area of 7,200 square metres with air conditioned arrival and departure lounges to manage up to 300 passengers at any time.
The control tower is 7 stories for efficiency in managing air traffic control.

However for comparison Don Muang  https://www.airport-technology.com/projects/donmeunginternationa/

Runways

There are two runways – 21 R/03L and 21 L/03R – with a golf course between them owned by RTAF. Golfers are warned by a red light whenever a plane lands.

Runway 21 R/03L is 3,700m long and 60m wide. Runway 21 L/03R is 3,500m long and 45m wide. Runways are made of asphalt concrete and can operate 60 flights an hour.

Taxiway and aircraft parking

Don Mueang has 23 taxiways and 95 aircraft parking stands. There are 25 parking stands with contact gates at the international passenger terminal and eight parking stands with contact gates at the domestic passenger terminal. The remaining 62 are remote parking bays.

Been to Hua Hin, absolutely detest the place. First thing they should do is eliminate the taxi mafia which ensure taxi rides cost ten times the going rate in the rest of the country. It's also a very spread out place with very little to see and do. The whores are very loud and obnoxious. 

Good fish, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, Felt 35 said:

We say what is the AQI today but do we really sit down and think about it now and then. Below is one of thousand scary facts about air pollution and how it affect us daily.:sad:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190415-how-air-pollution-is-doing-more-than-killing-us

Having five children and being old and chesty, I've had to think about it. Hence my investment in an AQI monitor, an air purifier and my endless nags on this forum about the filthy air on the "Gulf Riviera".

And while we're on the subject . . . 

Nobody, except a handful of "conspiracy theorists", seems to be talking about it, but pneumonia is one of the symptoms of COVID-19. The lung disease was endemic in Wuhan long before the city was named as the source of a new virus outbreak. It has been the scene of public protests - unusual for China - against the perennially polluted air.

Interestingly, the Chinese are diagnosing new cases of corona virus infection not with blood or serum tests, but via lung scans. Makes yer think. . . 

Edited by Krataiboy

Hua Hin is no longer a sleeping resort. Hasn't been for many years now. It was 20 years ago, when there was only one traffic light, and noting between the airport and the train station. How about expanding the infrastructure, making roads wider, before expanding the airport.

First of all there is little that is sleepy about Hua Hin. Second, they have been talking about this airport expansion for years. They actually did expand the runway some time ago, at considerable expense, and then nothing happened. This is the most underutilized airport in SE ASIA! It is an abomination, and a stain on the face of the administration. It is perfectly located for a regional airport. Use the place. Just do it, and stop the incessant and mindless jabbering. 

While they are at it, they need to get serious about at least two more things. The high speed rail, that will link Surat with BKK, and a few points in between, including HH. And the air quality in HH, which is dreadful. This stunningly incompetent administration has it's work cut out for it and I have some news for Prayuth. Doing nothing is not working. And you need to resign. Yesterday. 

Before bragging for the airport, how about putting proper pedestrian crossing lights (that work) ?

Crossing the roads in HH, mainly in downtown in the Burger King, Clock Tower etc area is a deadly game and I always wondered how the elderly who cannot run for it, manage ?

And how about offering a bhat bus route that runs from downtown to the other areas westbound ?

Edited by observer90210

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

Im just back from Hua Hin and can hardly breath.  Pollution level is 160 there today.  Disgrace.!

<deleted>. I was considering HH as an escape from Chiang Mai during the burning season - maybe have to go further south ... suggestions for clean air in TH welcome. (my thai partner wants to get out of chiang mai but stay in TH during the first few months of the year while the smoke is on)

Edited by sarwardee
my previous Q has been answered by me reading more posts

On 2/24/2020 at 2:40 PM, Canuck1966 said:

I'm in Cha am today, lovely fresh mountain air about 8 clicks from the beach.

Ive been to Cha Am 3x and the water was unswimmable due to blue bottles. Are they in the water all year round?

On 2/24/2020 at 3:11 PM, Misab said:

It was in both Cha-Am and Hua Hin this morning about 175 

If you don't trust the apps just look at the mountains, this morning you could easy see how dirty the air is.  Properly from burning, it goes a little down in the afternoon but raise again during the night. The morning air is here very unhealthy.  

What A Shame. Birdlife will disappear.