Savannakhet NON O Visa, multiple entry, based on marriage to a Thai national, application on Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - Report

On 2/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, Coastman63 said:

The counter lady then asked for a copy of the marriage certificate that shows her maiden name ie not just the normal Kor 3 ie the white one with flowery border but the brown one.

Would a Western marriage license, in English (er, American) have sufficed? Ubonjoe?

17 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Would a Western marriage license, in English (er, American) have sufficed? Ubonjoe?

Yes they will accept a foreign marriage certificate that is in English or a translation of it if not in English.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

@ubonjoe could you please detail the official Thai numeration for the two documents that the OP references as 'white one with flowery border' and 'the brown one'? Just for clarity going forward here.

Thanks!

NL

The fancy one with flowers on it a Kor Ror 3. There is also a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. I assume the brown one is a name change certificate given when his wife changed her name.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The fancy one with flowers on it a Kor Ror 3. There is also a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry. I assume the brown one is a name change certificate given when his wife changed her name.

Thanks for that. I don' recall Mrs NL getting a bit of paper of any color when she changed her ID card all those happy years ago but I will check. Maybe what appeared to be a simple bit of bureaucratic paper excess has more importance these days. I wonder if her name changes somewhere in the blue book that she's supposed to sign a copy of? Maybe copying/signing the two pages that show the name change would work if she was in absentia or didn't have a bespoke change-of-name certificate.

37 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for that. I don' recall Mrs NL getting a bit of paper of any color when she changed her ID card all those happy years ago but I will check.

Mine did not get one when we registered our marriage. She had no choice about the name change since it was mandatory then (before 2002 when the act requiring it was changed).

We also never had a Kor Ror 2 until she got one at a Amphoe when immigration asked for it the first time.

I was married 8 years ago they gave name change certificate out then.

Never had to use is yet but will be coming with me next visa run to Savannakhet. Another piece of paper to carry???????? it's not brown though

IMG_20200227_162532.jpg

Edited by fourpack
  • Like 2

When I got my visa in Savannakhet in November I was not asked for this document but since then I have heard about many people being asked for it. I can understand why they are asking. If you look at the marriage certificate the woman's name is her maiden name and not her married name so they want the document where she has changed her name. When we were married at the Amphur office the documents that were handed to us were the marriage certificate, the Kor Ror 2 and my wife's name change certificate which was used to change her ID card and her House Book Registration. 

8 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

When I got my visa in Savannakhet in November I was not asked for this document but since then I have heard about many people being asked for it. I can understand why they are asking. If you look at the marriage certificate the woman's name is her maiden name and not her married name so they want the document where she has changed her name. When we were married at the Amphur office the documents that were handed to us were the marriage certificate, the Kor Ror 2 and my wife's name change certificate which was used to change her ID card and her House Book Registration. 

I disagree.

As Ubonjoe's post before yours, the ID is on the back of the marriage certificate.

Just need to compare it with the current one.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I disagree.

As Ubonjoe's post before yours, the ID is on the back of the marriage certificate.

Just need to compare it with the current one.

What do you disagree with? Do you disagree with what actually happened to us? I have only listed what we were required to do both when we were married and also when we went to Savannakhet and what we were asked for. It is surprising that you were not with us at either our wedding or at Savannakhet to know what we were asked for at the different offices.

What Ubonjoe says could be easily done and what is done are two different things 

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

What do you disagree with? Do you disagree with what actually happened to us? I have list what we were required to do both when we were married and also when we went to Savannakhet and what we were asked for. It is surprising that you were not with us at either our wedding or at Savannakhet to know what we were asked for at the different offices

I disagree with you saying that "you can understand why they ask".

I cannot see the point TBH.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

It is simple. The marriage certificate has one name on it and the ID card and the visa application has a different name on it and now they are asking for the change of name document to prove the name change. I am not saying that what Ubonjoe is saying is not a better way but.

No, last which was the irst , time.  No change of name certificate. I had it through as it is often asked for by officialdom as my wife's ID card has my surname but the marriage certificate her maiden name. Any transaction involving official documents with maiden name predating her current ID card and name on that. Seems reasonable as a fraud reduction.

My wife was not with me...." Savanakhet so boring"....that didn't matter then. Does it now? I'm going quite soon as the visa has expired, unless I extend permission to stay

first.

By the way, we had problems at the Land Office last year requiring a significant off the books payment to a middle ranking jobs worth. This lady said her ID card photo didn't look like her. Thais seem to think this manufacturing of problems and a payment to make it go away is totally normal. With that mindset how will it ever be stamped out?

3 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

No, last which was the irst , time.  No change of name certificate. I had it through as it is often asked for by officialdom as my wife's ID card has my surname but the marriage certificate her maiden name. Any transaction involving official documents with maiden name predating her current ID card and name on that. Seems reasonable as a fraud reduction.

My wife was not with me...." Savanakhet so boring"....that didn't matter then. Does it now? I'm going quite soon as the visa has expired, unless I extend permission to stay

first.

By the way, we had problems at the Land Office last year requiring a significant off the books payment to a middle ranking jobs worth. This lady said her ID card photo didn't look like her. Thais seem to think this manufacturing of problems and a payment to make it go away is totally normal. With that mindset how will it ever be stamped out?

Yep, a different surname, but the same christian name, DOB and Thai

ID number.

It's just been over officious IMO.

But, they can pretty much ask for what they want.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I is really a unneeded requirement since all they have to do is look at the back of the marriage certificate and they can see your wifes ID number on the back of it that would never be changed. Then compare the ID card number to the one shown on her ID card and house book registry.

This it it on the back of mine. Note there is no number in the space for husband which could of been my passport number.

image.png.e644bd42fa90e70b1032fa9948f4257e.png

I didn't know what this is. So, quite right Ubonjoe. Why I wonder have we been asked so many times for the Change of Name? I also didn't know, never having looked that the ID card akways carries the same number, hover many times changed or replaced.

Still, I'll take the certificate as it's easier than having a disagreement over this!

• Like 1

Good updated info on Savanna-K...guys thanks..I have always picked up my 1 year Multi Entry Non Imm "o" at the London Embassy .Never a problem.. been easy and straight forward ...visit first day and pick up following morning..now..150 pounds.......but now they appear to have brought in this new arrangement whereby you have to register on the internet in advance and follow up with an agreed appointment.The sticking point (apology if all aware) is that it seems you may only get a single entry 90 days....eh..what...Incid my wife keeps her Thai name and Thai passport but also has a UK PP with..my/our name....Married in london almost 20 years ago...so...looks like Savanna may be worth a visit...in May...ps...Had a corneal transplant recently...so if any spelling mistakes...soree..

Edited by Rinrada
add word

52 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Can debate this till the cows come home. If they are asking for it then that's it. They really don't care what you/we think and to be honest why should they.

I see the next step as your wife will have to be with you when applying.

But for now when all the blustering and posturing calms down when all said and done it's only one more piece of paper to carry.

Still far less than needed for A extension based on marriage who knows they may even introduce that as well for an extension based on marriage.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

The ploblem is, if it is a new requirement then it should be advertised, otherwise it will be a wast of time and expense for many.

I have done at least 10 Multi-O at Savv, always the same paperwork and 30 seconds at the window..

I have not had to produce this document either but there has been others who have mentioned being asked for it on some of the other threads but it has only been asked for since the start of this year and not everybody has been asked for it. I take it as a warning that the next time I go there I might be asked for it so I will carry one extra piece of paper just in case they ask.

I was in Savannakhet last week for my non o based on marriage, arrived on Tuesday at 08.30 , 9th in the queue. Had all relevant documents , including wife's name change, all were accepted by the lady IO at the counter and was out in under 2 mins. I was asked for the wife's name change documents 3 years ago, didn't have them at the time but was still given the visa after my wife spoke with the io. Since then I've brought them with me and never had any issues getting a non o baes on marriage to a thai.