Savannakhet NON O Visa, multiple entry, based on marriage to a Thai national, application on Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - Report

I  can confirm this. An applicant in front of me in the queue who has done many visas in Savannkhet was also presented  with that request for the first time in his experience. He and his wife had no document with them to offer but after some lengthy discussions and wait he eventually was granted a visa.

But I can not say if he  actually got the visa he was applying for.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they will accept a foreign marriage certificate that is in English or a translation of it if not in English.

Well not my friends experience last week. He was told to go to bangkok ministry if foreign affairs and get a translation. He was married in the uk to his Thai wife. Has always got his marriage visa there with just a normal translation. Now not good enough.

I get my O visa at Savannahkhet, so this is very important for me. My thanks to the OP for passing it on, since I have never shown any kind of name change certificate for my wife previously.

After reading the various posts, i have two questions and I wonder if anyone has the answer to them:

1. Is it mandatory for my wife to be present in person? Or can she simply sign copy documents?

2. We were married in 2010. I don’t recall my wife ever being given a name change certificate, just the flowery marriage certificates. I will now look for a name change certificate in case she was given one without me  realising it at the time. But, if I can’t find any name change certificate, is there any alternative documentation that is known to be an acceptable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any information on these two points.

19 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I get my O visa at Savannahkhet, so this is very important for me. My thanks to the OP for passing it on, since I have never shown any kind of name change certificate for my wife previously.

After reading the various posts, i have two questions and I wonder if anyone has the answer to them:

1. Is it mandatory for my wife to be present in person? Or can she simply sign copy documents?

2. We were married in 2010. I don’t recall my wife ever being given a name change certificate, just the flowery marriage certificates. I will now look for a name change certificate in case she was given one without me  realising it at the time. But, if I can’t find any name change certificate, is there any alternative documentation that is known to be an acceptable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any information on these two points.

You don't get name change cert when you get married. It comes when your then wife goes to her home amphoe and changes her name on ID card.

Just now, MagnumForce said:

What if your wife chose not to change her name? Is this stated on the Kor Ror 2 or 3 anywhere? If not, how do you prove it, if asked to do so at Savannakhet?

I would expect it not to be asked for as the marriage certificate is in the same name as her ID card.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Well not my friends experience last week. He was told to go to bangkok ministry if foreign affairs and get a translation. He was married in the uk to his Thai wife. Has always got his marriage visa there with just a normal translation. Now not good enough.

Why would he need to translate an English marriage certificate? They accept certificates in the English language. They accepted our Aussie marriage certificate.

11 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

So where to get this certificate, after over 16 years of marriage?  Where we were married, where my wife was registered on blue house book when she updated her ID card after marriage, or where we live now, where she is registered in blue house book?  All 3 different locations.

I would guess one was never issued that many years ago. Especially if it was done at the same time you registered your marriage.

Your wife could go to any Amphoe and ask them for something to prove your wife's name was changed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

So where to get this certificate, after over 16 years of marriage?  Where we were married, where my wife was registered on blue house book when she updated her ID card after marriage, or where we live now, where she is registered in blue house book?  All 3 different locations.

My suggestion would be for you to take your wife with your marriage certificate and the Kor Ror 2 and your wifes ID card to the nearest Amphur office and ask them for a name change certificate. All the Amphur offices are linked and they should be able to give you a copy or they will be able to tell you where to go to get one. Explain to them the you need it for immigration.

4 hours ago, fourpack said:

Can debate this till the cows come home. If they are asking for it then that's it. They really don't care what you/we think and to be honest why should they.

Preach!  And really that is the correct view.  We can all bitch and moan til the khway come home ... but in the end, do it their way or don't get it done.  I particularly love the forum members who post about telling IO's they are wrong, etc ... 

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

So, assuming everyone starts turning up at Savannahket with the requested certificate, what do people predict the next stumbling block to be?  

Until the vans stop turning up with "tourists" on visa runs, it will just get harder and harder for those of of us trying to get Non O visas for marriage / family / kids.  

Much more to your point though they might start requesting bank books.  Which would slow down the border runners at least.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:11 PM, fourpack said:

You don't get name change cert when you get married. It comes when your then wife goes to her home amphoe and changes her name on ID card.

I see. Thanks for that info. We may have it somewhere then as her ID card is in her married name.

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Does anyone have any experience on whether the Thai wife HAS to be present when making the application, or will signed copy documents still suffice?

Signed.  Use blue ink.  

Hello again

I did get my visa and so did all others that I saw when submitting my application.  My take for what its worth, is that the lady behind the counter is being pedantic but also helpful.  Having told applicants they did not have the right forms or copies she gave ways to solve the problem.  This is my impression, I don't think she was acting on her own, she must be following instructions.  All that seems to have changed is that you need both marriage certificates and copies.

The lady behind the counter whilst wearing a mask I am sure was the same lady who excepted my previous application 15 months ago.

1 minute ago, Coastman63 said:

Hello again

I did get my visa and so did all others that I saw when submitting my application.  My take for what its worth, is that the lady behind the counter is being pedantic but also helpful.  Having told applicants they did not have the right forms or copies she gave ways to solve the problem.  This is my impression, I don't think she was acting on her own, she must be following instructions.  All that seems to have changed is that you need both marriage certificates and copies.

The lady behind the counter whilst wearing a mask I am sure was the same lady who excepted my previous application 15 months ago.

You have always needed both marriage certificates and copies of...

No you have not needed  both copies of your marriage certificates at this consulate in Savannakhet before! Look at previous posting on this subject which I have been following for years!  Why is it everyone thinks they know better and cannot resist telling the world so.  

3 minutes ago, Coastman63 said:

No you have not needed  both copies of your marriage certificates at this consulate in Savannakhet before! Look at previous posting on this subject which I have been following for years!  Why is it everyone thinks they know better and cannot resist telling the world so.  

I have been there 11 times, both certificates and copies of. I copy the back too, so the copies are just like the originals. They have never handed back a copy they don't need to me or said one will do..

12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

I've never taken both of them, just the one.  Wasn't sure if it meant the other certificate you get updated from your amphur office to show still married.  Never taken that, either.

I used to take the Kor Ror 2, but they did hand that back, so don't bother now..

As for the two certificates, perhaps Ubonjoe could clarify one way or the other.????

Edited by transam

Just because they don't hand back the copy they don't need, does not mean they don't need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't need an invitation letter either but guess what I always provide one just in case .  I have also been applying at this consulate for the last 15 years.  Before the current purpose built consulate was built.

1 minute ago, Coastman63 said:

Just because they don't hand back the copy they don't need, does not mean they don't need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They don't need an invitation letter either but guess what I always provide one just in case .  I have also been applying at this consulate for the last 15 years.  Before the current purpose built consulate was built.

Well done.....:clap2: