BANGKOK
webfact

Chiang Mai and the virus: Rod daeng driver feels the pinch from Covid-19 and immigration say less than 100 Chinese arrived!

Chiang Mai and the virus: Rod daeng driver feels the pinch from Covid-19 and immigration say less than 100 Chinese arrived!

c1.jpg

CM108.com published an interview with a driver of a "rod daeng" (red song thaew) in the city relating how his income has dropped dramatically since the start of the Covid-19 outbreak.

And the media further reported that immigration were saying there were less than 100 Chinese arrivals on Thursday.

Suphan Bunyeun, 54, said he could barely scratch out a living as there were hardly any tourists left - certainly virtually no Chinese.

He said he used to get more than 1,000 baht a day.

c2.jpg

Now he is lucky to get 600 baht, that leaves him with 300 baht after gas was paid for.

He was having to rely on the locals going to the market and paying him 30 baht a time.

Meanwhile the media said that Chinese arrivals in the north that should be in the thousands are now just a meager trickle.

Immigration said that on Thursday February 19th there were just 95 arrivals from China.

c3.jpg

Source: CM108

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-24

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, harada said:

If I couldn't hear this little voice inside my head saying "every things 100% under control" I would love to be in CM right now, looks great.

The smog is really bad here in CM.

I'd rather be in Saigon or Siem Reap.

• Like 1

Now he is lucky to get 600 baht, that leaves him with 300 baht after gas was paid for.

What a whinger. Average Thai worker gets 300 baht a day so what makes this minion special?

• Thanks 2

Just now, legend49 said:

What a whinger. Average Thai worker gets 300 baht a day so what makes this minion special?

No , thats minimum wage 350 Baht ? And many Thais earn more than minimum wage 

I see an opportunity for the police to cash in on no parking zones. Or do these red en wit blocks on the curbs mean Songteaw parking zone ?

• Haha 1