Jump to content
BANGKOK
Doznotdiz

Mandatory health insurance for "OA" extensions

Recommended Posts

I understand that I will have to have health insurance (Thai company) for my next extension (based on "OA" visa). Should the insurance start date be the date of the extension expiry/renewal, or will immigration require it to be active when applying. If the latter, then obviously cover would expire prior to the next extension renewal, and immigration might disallow. Anyone have experience of what is required? BTW - my Immigration office is Chiang Mai.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you really willing to pay for one of these questionable insurances?

The forum has plenty of information how to get rid of the Non O A status (as written in previous post).

I am in the same situation, due in October, and will surely take action.

 

1. How long before insurance applies to Non-Imm “O”?

2. You have to leave the country to get the “O” visa, and then (apparently) pay an agent to transfer it to 1-year equivalent.

3. Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's almost a magnitude less than published prices.

I know that similar kind of insurance had been acknowledged via an "agent".

But no way fulfilling the requirements (400k inpatient, 40k outpatient).

I said “approved”; the requirements are satisfied, and those prices are correct. As for agent use - have you ever tried to convert a short-stay “O” visa obtained outside of Thailand to a 1-year “O” in Thailand? Are you aware that 1-year Non-I’m “O” visas are no longer available outside Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Doznotdiz said:

1. How long before insurance applies to Non-Imm “O”?

2. You have to leave the country to get the “O” visa, and then (apparently) pay an agent to transfer it to 1-year equivalent.

3. Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses.

1.  No idea, if ever. Today it does not, and tomorrow it will not.

2. You can get the 'O' overseas or in Thailand. You would need to leave to 'cancel' the O-A and restart.

An agent is not obligated to get a 12 month Extension

3. Yes, effectively 7,500 or 15,000 waste paper. Strictly speaking they do not qualify, as they provide no cover, certainly not what is specified in the O-A Extension requirements.. 400,000 baht In-Patient and 40,000 baht OP. The deductible exceeds that. How long before that bypass is blocked?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

1.  No idea, if ever. Today it does not, and tomorrow it will not.

2. You can get the 'O' overseas or in Thailand. You would need to leave to 'cancel' the O-A and restart.

An agent is not obligated to get a 12 month Extension

3. Yes, effectively 7,500 or 15,000 waste paper. Strictly speaking they do not qualify, as they provide no cover, certainly not what is specified in the O-A Extension requirements.. 400,000 baht In-Patient and 40,000 baht OP. The deductible exceeds that. How long before that bypass is blocked?

 

Read my previous quote regarding O-visas. Also I said approved insurance policies (by immigration); excesses do not exceed the 400k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Doznotdiz said:

Are you aware that 1-year Non-I’m “O” visas are no longer available outside Thailand?

Nor inside Thailand!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Doznotdiz said:

Read my previous quote regarding O-visas. Also I said approved insurance policies (by immigration); excesses do not exceed the 400k.

If the excess is more than zero, it impacts on the reason insurance became an obligation. Basically to cover those who did not have the means to pay their hospital bill. Any excess detracts from that. 

Edited by jacko45k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, follow Peters roadmap document it will tell you all you need to know.

 

The cheapest mandatory health insurance required by Thailand immigration for an OA visa was quoted at 27,600 baht for a 55 year old.

 

Conversion to an O visa will cost you considerably less:

 

A border run and return on Visa Exempt, obtain a 90 day 0 visa at your IO, apply for 1 year extension.

 

or

 

Visit a Consulate or Embassy in a nearby country to obtain 90 day O visa, apply for extension.

 

Are your options.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...