Mandatory health insurance for "OA" extensions

I understand that I will have to have health insurance (Thai company) for my next extension (based on "OA" visa). Should the insurance start date be the date of the extension expiry/renewal, or will immigration require it to be active when applying. If the latter, then obviously cover would expire prior to the next extension renewal, and immigration might disallow. Anyone have experience of what is required? BTW - my Immigration office is Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you really willing to pay for one of these questionable insurances?

The forum has plenty of information how to get rid of the Non O A status (as written in previous post).

I am in the same situation, due in October, and will surely take action.

1. How long before insurance applies to Non-Imm “O”?

2. You have to leave the country to get the “O” visa, and then (apparently) pay an agent to transfer it to 1-year equivalent.

3. Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses.

16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's almost a magnitude less than published prices.

I know that similar kind of insurance had been acknowledged via an "agent".

But no way fulfilling the requirements (400k inpatient, 40k outpatient).

I said “approved”; the requirements are satisfied, and those prices are correct. As for agent use - have you ever tried to convert a short-stay “O” visa obtained outside of Thailand to a 1-year “O” in Thailand? Are you aware that 1-year Non-I’m “O” visas are no longer available outside Thailand?

36 minutes ago, Doznotdiz said:

2. You have to leave the country to get the “O” visa, and then (apparently) pay an agent to transfer it to 1-year equivalent.

3. Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses.

1.  No idea, if ever. Today it does not, and tomorrow it will not.

2. You can get the 'O' overseas or in Thailand. You would need to leave to 'cancel' the O-A and restart.

An agent is not obligated to get a 12 month Extension

3. Yes, effectively 7,500 or 15,000 waste paper. Strictly speaking they do not qualify, as they provide no cover, certainly not what is specified in the O-A Extension requirements.. 400,000 baht In-Patient and 40,000 baht OP. The deductible exceeds that. How long before that bypass is blocked?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

1.  No idea, if ever. Today it does not, and tomorrow it will not.

2. You can get the 'O' overseas or in Thailand. You would need to leave to 'cancel' the O-A and restart.

An agent is not obligated to get a 12 month Extension

3. Yes, effectively 7,500 or 15,000 waste paper. Strictly speaking they do not qualify, as they provide no cover, certainly not what is specified in the O-A Extension requirements.. 400,000 baht In-Patient and 40,000 baht OP. The deductible exceeds that. How long before that bypass is blocked?

Read my previous quote regarding O-visas. Also I said approved insurance policies (by immigration); excesses do not exceed the 400k.

15 minutes ago, Doznotdiz said:

Read my previous quote regarding O-visas. Also I said approved insurance policies (by immigration); excesses do not exceed the 400k.

If the excess is more than zero, it impacts on the reason insurance became an obligation. Basically to cover those who did not have the means to pay their hospital bill. Any excess detracts from that. 

Edited by jacko45k

OP, follow Peters roadmap document it will tell you all you need to know.

The cheapest mandatory health insurance required by Thailand immigration for an OA visa was quoted at 27,600 baht for a 55 year old.

Conversion to an O visa will cost you considerably less:

A border run and return on Visa Exempt, obtain a 90 day 0 visa at your IO, apply for 1 year extension.

or

Visit a Consulate or Embassy in a nearby country to obtain 90 day O visa, apply for extension.

Are your options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's almost a magnitude less than published prices.

I know that similar kind of insurance had been acknowledged via an "agent".

But no way fulfilling the requirements (400k inpatient, 40k outpatient).

The insurance pricing is going to vary with your age. Numbers posted here regarding cost are meaningless unless tied to age, and conditions. 

1 hour ago, Doznotdiz said:

you do not have to pay an agent - ever for anything - that has to do with immigration. You can do things yourself. The way to go from OA to O is not known to me, but I would go to immigration and simply ask. Perhaps bring a trusted Thai interpreter. But Agents are never needed or demanded by immigration.

1 hour ago, Doznotdiz said:

There are currently no plans made public that say that they are going to apply insurance to Type O.  Again, insurance prices are contingent upon age. And very GREATLY by age. And also companies approved on the list - some of them are global and some of the worlds largest. Not ripoff companies.

Did quite a bit of research for Thai Insurance to support my Retirement extension in June. 

When I finally made the decision on what company and plan, I was told by the sales agent that my insurance needed to start the same date as my extension. 

Good thing I'm developing a sense of humor about all this ...

Edited by kbb
Typo

5 minutes ago, kbb said:

Did quite a bit of research for Thai Insurance to support my Retirement extension in June. 

When I finally made the decision on what company and plan, I was told by the sales agent that my insurance needed to start the same date as my extension. 

More  research might have triggered the idea of changing from a Non-Imm OA based extension, to a Non-Imm_O, and then insurance would be your choice. 

Did you find much difference between qualifying policies and regular policies? I certainly found the out patient requirement would have bumped my premium substantially.  

• Like 1

For me travel out of the country to convert to "O" is not possible.

At this stage I'm looking at changing to a marriage extension. The advantages are, no crappy insurance and the freeing up of my funds currently lying fallow in a bank.  The downside is getting married to the old girl and all that entails.

Ergo, I'm interested in hearing more about the cheap, huge excess, insurance deals. Effectively just a more expensive extension.

What company(s) are offering them and are they definitely acceptable by Immigration?  Are they available even for older, infirm applicants who may not be acceptable for insurance normally?

16 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For me travel out of the country to convert to "O" is not possible.

At this stage I'm looking at changing to a marriage extension. The advantages are, no crappy insurance and the freeing up of my funds currently lying fallow in a bank.  The downside is getting married to the old girl and all that entails.

Ergo, I'm interested in hearing more about the cheap, huge excess, insurance deals. Effectively just a more expensive extension.

What company(s) are offering them and are they definitely acceptable by Immigration?  Are they available even for older, infirm applicants who may not be acceptable for insurance normally?

You may need to travel out at some point, someone can comment further on this. To obtain the Non-O based upon marriage you of course first need to get married. I used an agent which cost me 8000.00 baht to process the marriage certificate. You then simply go down to your local immigration office and apply. The only in country process I am aware of is the conversion of a 30 day exemption stamp, to a non-immigrant O 90 day(which then requires one trip out of the kingdom for some reason), then you return to the immigration office to convert to a full one year. Subsequent renewals will not require the 30 day/90 day conversion process and thus you simply re-qualify without the need for the lengthy process or travel out. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment here with the possibility of converting your current VISA, whatever that is, instead of starting from scratch with a 30 day exemption stamp. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied

1 hour ago, kbb said:

You might be interested in this thread about the 'benefits' of thai IO-approved insurance.

1 hour ago, Brayka said:

I am surprised that some of you say don’t take any questionable Thai insurances.  At least don’t come begging, if something happens, for go fund me! 

You answered your own argument by inserting the word “ questionable “  !

Policies are available out there which are perfectly acceptable without succumbing to IO’s forced mandatory health insurance policies.

• Like 1