Mandatory health insurance for "OA" extensions

22 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

For me travel out of the country to convert to "O" is not possible.

At this stage I'm looking at changing to a marriage extension. The advantages are, no crappy insurance and the freeing up of my funds currently lying fallow in a bank.  The downside is getting married to the old girl and all that entails.

Ergo, I'm interested in hearing more about the cheap, huge excess, insurance deals. Effectively just a more expensive extension.

What company(s) are offering them and are they definitely acceptable by Immigration?  Are they available even for older, infirm applicants who may not be acceptable for insurance normally?

I feel for you as it will be very difficult - if not impossible - to find a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy when over 75 years of age or having pre-existing conditions.

And even if you do find them, the annual premium which is already exorbitantly high for the ridiculous low coverage these IO-approved policies provide, will rise every year.  At age 83 the annual premium can be 380.000 THB.  Yes, you read that correctly, 380K for a maximum coverage of 400K - ridiculous!

You are already aware that marrying your 'old girl' will enable you to apply for an extension based on your orignal Non Imm OA Visa for reason of marriage, which does not require mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

Also FYI > Switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa will indeed necessitate a border-run.  But it does NOT mean that you have to apply for that Visa outside Thailand.  You can simply apply for it - after having exited and returned to Thailand - at your local IO.

Just now, Bangkok Basha said:

Could someone please share the links from previous posts on how to transfer from a Non-OA to an O?

HI, I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent extension.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

19 hours ago, Doznotdiz said:

Are you aware that 1-year Non-I’m “O” visas are no longer available outside Thailand?

As you feel the need to quote me: also wrong as ubonjoe wrote.

One option for me would be a one year multi entry Non-O based on marriage in Savannakhet.

But I will likely use the single entry Non-O and then do extension as usual.

20 hours ago, Doznotdiz said:

1. How long before insurance applies to Non-Imm “O”?

2. You have to leave the country to get the “O” visa, and then (apparently) pay an agent to transfer it to 1-year equivalent.

3. Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses.

"Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses."

I am 75 years old and I seriously doubt I could find any insurance for such prices! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Doznotdiz said:

1. How long before insurance applies to Non-Imm “O”?

2. You have to leave the country to get the “O” visa, and then (apparently) pay an agent to transfer it to 1-year equivalent.

3. Insurance policies (approved by immigration) are available for 7,500 or 15,000 baht annually - but of course they have high excesses.

You can leave the country and re-enter on a 30 days Visa exempt. Then convert it to a 90 days Non-immigrant O at the local immigration office. Then after 60 days apply for a 1 year extension. 

OR, you can use an agent to get around the insurance issue. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You can leave the country and re-enter on a 30 days Visa exempt. Then convert it to a 90 days Non-immigrant O at the local immigration office. Then after 60 days apply for a 1 year extension. 

OR, you can use an agent to get around the insurance issue. 

Which agents are obtaining extensions on an O-A without any insurance. 

Was not aware of that.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you really willing to pay for one of these questionable insurances?

The forum has plenty of information how to get rid of the Non O A status (as written in previous post).

I am in the same situation, due in October, and will surely take action.

There aren't many people that can self insure to the tune of several million Baht (which is what you need for say cancer cover). A good insurance (say with April, an international company who partner with a Thai company on the approved list) is eminently sensible. 60000 Baht for age early 60s. Speak to a broker and get half a dozen quotes across the price range. 

5 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You may need to travel out at some point, someone can comment further on this. To obtain the Non-O based upon marriage you of course first need to get married. I used an agent which cost me 8000.00 baht to process the marriage certificate. You then simply go down to your local immigration office and apply. The only in country process I am aware of is the conversion of a 30 day exemption stamp, to a non-immigrant O 90 day(which then requires one trip out of the kingdom for some reason), then you return to the immigration office to convert to a full one year. Subsequent renewals will not require the 30 day/90 day conversion process and thus you simply re-qualify without the need for the lengthy process or travel out. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment here with the possibility of converting your current VISA, whatever that is, instead of starting from scratch with a 30 day exemption stamp. 

Thanks for the reply.

I asked the questions about insurance excesses mainly in hope, I was already sure marriage is my only way out. There's no need to change to "O" as there is no criteria for insurance for "O-A" extensions for marriage.

Interested to hear what an agent had to offer to get the marriage certificate. The way I understand the process I need to get a No Impediment declaration certified at the Cons. Gen., have it translated and go to the amphore for paperwork. Anything that saves me doing the rounds personally would be welcome.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

I feel for you as it will be very difficult - if not impossible - to find a thai IO-approved health-insurance policy when over 75 years of age or having pre-existing conditions.

And even if you do find them, the annual premium which is already exorbitantly high for the ridiculous low coverage these IO-approved policies provide, will rise every year.  At age 83 the annual premium can be 380.000 THB.  Yes, you read that correctly, 380K for a maximum coverage of 400K - ridiculous!

You are already aware that marrying your 'old girl' will enable you to apply for an extension based on your orignal Non Imm OA Visa for reason of marriage, which does not require mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

Also FYI > Switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa will indeed necessitate a border-run.  But it does NOT mean that you have to apply for that Visa outside Thailand.  You can simply apply for it - after having exited and returned to Thailand - at your local IO.

Thanks for replying.

I'm not 75 for a few years yet, but medical problems would probably still exclude me, even from a rip-off policy. I didn't really think a high excess policy would work for me, I was just interested in the possibilities.

As stated, it only gets more expensive over the years, so I guess I don't have a choice in the matter. 

My IO has told me there would be no problems getting an extension for marriage with an original entry O-A.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Doznotdiz said:

I said “approved”; the requirements are satisfied, and those prices are correct. As for agent use - have you ever tried to convert a short-stay “O” visa obtained outside of Thailand to a 1-year “O” in Thailand? Are you aware that 1-year Non-I’m “O” visas are no longer available outside Thailand?

I have a new Non O 12 month  multi from Savannakhet

17 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks for the reply.

I asked the questions about insurance excesses mainly in hope, I was already sure marriage is my only way out. There's no need to change to "O" as there is no criteria for insurance for "O-A" extensions for marriage.

Interested to hear what an agent had to offer to get the marriage certificate. The way I understand the process I need to get a No Impediment declaration certified at the Cons. Gen., have it translated and go to the amphore for paperwork. Anything that saves me doing the rounds personally would be welcome.

What you will need Old Croc is what you are calling a No Impediment Declaration certificate which states that you are free to marry and that document must be translated by a registered translation company plus you will need a free to marry document from the amphur office where your intended wife is registered in her blue house book and then you go to your local amphur office with 2 witnesses and get married. <removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment removed

23 hours ago, Doznotdiz said:

I said “approved”; the requirements are satisfied, and those prices are correct. As for agent use - have you ever tried to convert a short-stay “O” visa obtained outside of Thailand to a 1-year “O” in Thailand? Are you aware that 1-year Non-I’m “O” visas are no longer available outside Thailand?

Yes, I have gotten a 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa in Vientiane, Laos and after 60 days I got a 1 year extension to that visa based on my retirement and that extension was renewed annually for 5 years until I married and then I changed the basis of the extension from retirement to marriage and from the time of my Non-Imm "O" visa application in Vientiane every thing else has been done in Thailand at the local Immigration Office and now because of other circumstances I am now on a Multi Entry 1 year Non-Imm "O" visa based on marriage which was obtained in Savannakhet, Laos last November. I have never used an agent for any of my Immigration matters it is easy to do it yourself. You really need to do a lot more research and checking things

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Russell17au said:

What you will need Old Croc is what you are calling a No Impediment Declaration certificate which states that you are free to marry and that document must be translated by a registered translation company plus you will need a free to marry document from the amphur office where your intended wife is registered in her blue house book and then you go to your local amphur office with 2 witnesses and get married. <removed>

Thanks for just repeating what I said about the process. Obviously I already know.

My question was directed at the poster who said he used an agent to get it done, and I was querying what an agent could do to assist the process.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
reply to a edited post removed
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 4:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

It still possible to get a multiple entry non-o visa at a embassy or consulate that allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

Hi Joe. until a few years ago i used to get my non imm O visa in Brisbane but you introduced me to the O-A visa of which i have had 4. My present O-A expires in October and i had intended to go back to Brisbane for a while and get another Non imm O visa. Is this a fact that it is no longer available, if so can you please advise me what to do as i have no idea. I am of an age which eliminates me from health insurance, but want to live in the Sisaket-Khukan area with my partner.  Thank you for past help.

Edited by Huckenfell

6 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Hi Joe. until a few years ago i used to get my non imm O visa in Brisbane but you introduced me to the O-A visa of which i have had 4. My present O-A expires in October and i had intended to go back to Brisbane for a while and get another Non imm O visa. Is this a fact that it is no longer available, if so can you please advise me what to do as i have no idea. I am of an age which eliminates me from health insurance, but want to live in the Sisaket-Khukan area with my partner.  Thank you for past help.

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the embassy or the official consulate in Sydney.

The honorary consulates can no longer issue them.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the embassy or the official consulate in Sydney.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

OK Thanks Joe, but can they be issued through an embassy such as Canberra or does this mean that i will have to get married.

14 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

HI Huckenfell,

When you are married with your partner, and she is a thai national, then you can apply for the Non Imm O - marriage Visa in Sydney as UbonJoe indicated.

Please note that you can also when the present permission to stay of your Non Imm OA Visa almost expires, apply for a 1-year extension of stay at your local IO based on that original OA Visa but this time for reason of MARRIAGE, and when doing so there is no requirement for mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance.

14 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

OK Thanks Joe, but can they be issued through an embassy such as Canberra or does this mean that i will have to get married.

The only way to get a non-o visa is to get married to a Thai.

It can be applied for in Canberra or Sydney.

31 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

When not married to a thai national, there are also other options to stay long-term in Thailand when you cannot or do not want to subscribe to the now mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement when applying for an extension of stay of your original Non Imm OA Visa.

> I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension based on that Visa.  The requirements/conditions for an extension based on a Non Imm O - retirement Visa are exactly the same as for an extension of your present Non Imm OA Visa, with the one exception that no mandatory thai IO-approved health-insurance is required.

To access your PM messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.