Shopping for a midrange but not Samsung or Apple smartphone now!

Jingthing

I decided to pass on the Note 8 Pro because it doesn't cover as many bands as the Note 8 -- useful if you travel -- and tests show the contrast ratio is better on the plain Note 8.

The Pro's advantage is a larger battery and a more powerful processor.

Also Neptune Blue on the plain Note 8 looks cool. Colours on the Pro not quite as striking, at least to my eye.

Both phones have audio jacks, a plus since they're becoming rarer.

If you don't like the camera notch peeking at you from the top, there's an option to shrink the display slightly so it doesn't show. Of course you lose some screen space this way.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9812&idPhone2=9814

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, taxout said:

I decided to pass on the Note 8 Pro because it doesn't cover as many bands as the Note 8 -- useful if you travel -- and tests show the contrast ratio is better on the plain Note 8.

I was looking at the same thing yesterday... And depending on which country of original version you're talking about, neither of them matched up very well for use in the U.S. with T-Mobile in terms of LTE compatibility. So nice phone to use here in Thailand, but potentially very restricted in the U.S.

• Thanks 1

The Realme XP doesn't seem to be available in Thailand but the XP Pro (much more expensive) does.

So now I'm strongly considering the Realme 5 Pro which appears to meet all my needs plus it's splashproof which is unusual in this price level.

https://www.gsmarena.com/realme_5_pro-9801.php

It's got more camera than I need but that's OK. 

As I said I don't play games so really don't need higher end specs.

My current older phone at 3 gb ram and 32 storage has been working fine for me.

So I'd have a choice of the Realme 5 pro of 4 gb ram, 128 storage OR the same storage with 8 gb ram.

Not sure if there's any reason to pay extra for the 8 gb ram but it doesn't seem so. 

Here is the network stuff:

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 8(900), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500) - India
  LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500) - EMEA
Speed HSPA 42.2/11.5 Mbps, LTE-A

If you are looking for 5g on a mid-range phone you will probably have to wait at least half a year if not more. I don't need 5g now, but  I tend to keep a phone for 2-3 years, and I suspect I will be wishing I had the 5g before then. Therefore I am holding on to my 2.5 year old phone for another year.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

If you are looking for 5g on a mid-range phone you will probably have to wait at least half a year if not more. I don't need 5g now, but  I tend to keep a phone for 2-3 years, and I suspect I will be wishing I had the 5g before then. Therefore I am holding on to my 2.5 year old phone for another year.

Yeah I already figured that out. Yeah it could be a year or two. I need to replace now though and definitely am not in the market for a 5g capable phone now. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:30 AM, Sumarianson said:

I want to buy one for the other half. The camera seems to be the most important along with battery life and speed for watching movies and FB clips. Any suggestions there? Don't want to spend more than I have to as she is accident prone. Dropped iPhone x in the mop bucket, "frazzeled". Not paying that money again. Between 5 and 10 would be the ideal margin.

look at the Nokia 9 pure view 

On 2/25/2020 at 7:53 AM, martin26 said:

Xiaomi very good quality performance and great value for money been using them for several years now

I bought the Mi Max 3 this time last year. 7'' screen, 5500 mAh battery, very fast, great camera. I like it so much that I bought one again last month, after the other fell in the soup. Price has dropped to B6500.

On 2/25/2020 at 8:58 AM, Krungbin said:

Recently bought a Xiaomi 9T to replace an old HTC OneM8.  I am delighted!

I bought my son this one last summer, after he saw mine. Slightly smaller screen at 6'' but higher resolution and faster chip (he likes games). Camera(s) are a lot better too but overkill IMO. Price last summer 9000B.

11 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

I'm looking at buying 2 new phones for myself and my wife. Lazada shows the same models (Huawei 30 Pro) with the same specs, for different prices. I read that one is sold by the Huawei flagship shop with a ''1 year warranty available'' and another is sold with the reference ' Patumwan' where the warranty is ''1 year local manufacturer's warranty'' . I know that Patumwan is a shopping district in Bangkok. But does anyone know what the difference is between these warranties and how reliable each is? thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 8:43 AM, schondie said:

I bought an Oukitel K6000 Pro a few years ago after a recommendation from another TV member. The phone cost about 6000 baht from Geekbuying or similar website. When it's time for me to buy a replacement, I'm buying the Oukitel K7 (around 4400 baht) as it's got a massive battery and doesn't come preloaded with loads of useless apps.

the k7 look very promising, do you happen to know max internal RAM capacity ?

asus rog phone 2 should according to spec have 8 gb ram

and 4k to 10k mah battery.

if it does, 8k baht is a very good deal,

on the few occasions i bother to use my phone

its complaining my memory is insufficient,

and i get a list to select from which apps i should delete in order

to update an app that otherwise wont work any longer,

its an never ending farce

On 2/27/2020 at 6:16 AM, Jingthing said:

The Realme XP doesn't seem to be available in Thailand but the XP Pro (much more expensive) does.

So now I'm strongly considering the Realme 5 Pro which appears to meet all my needs plus it's splashproof which is unusual in this price level.

https://www.gsmarena.com/realme_5_pro-9801.php

It's got more camera than I need but that's OK. 

As I said I don't play games so really don't need higher end specs.

My current older phone at 3 gb ram and 32 storage has been working fine for me.

So I'd have a choice of the Realme 5 pro of 4 gb ram, 128 storage OR the same storage with 8 gb ram.

Not sure if there's any reason to pay extra for the 8 gb ram but it doesn't seem so. 

Here is the network stuff:

im following your wish list*tks!). Dont you consider having the network range provided by VOLTE a necessity, for the future?

5 minutes ago, paddypower said:

im following your wish list*tks!). Dont you consider having the network range provided by VOLTE a necessity, for the future?

For me not really. 

I'm pretty much decided on the realme 6.

I did compare to the also new redme note 9 and it's still the realme 6 for me. 

It's not yet in stores the last I checked but I was quoted a price of 8k baht with 8 gb 128 which sounds good to me. 

• Like 1

I would like to say that since your a very basic type of guy why even bother with a smart phone, dont know what you got against Apple or Samsung but my experience with cheap anything is...its cheap and nasty and often dont go the distance....I would recommend that you just get a land line put in that would serve you well.....

On the other hand double your budget and at least get something decent, since im not a fan of Android though I love the Samsung Note I cant recommend you anything though I have friends who do like there Android phones, most of my close friends and family all use Apple and we keep coming back to Apple every time so thats telling you something....

I did buy 2 Android phones with duel sim for travel, the first was a $AU300 job I loathed and a Chinese branded one, that was given away as I was totally disgusted with it...then a mate based in BKK use to rave about his Samsung prime j7 so I bout it for 9000B in BKK, I used on my following trip only to hate it even more than the Chinese phone, my daughters has it now.....If your into cheap phones you dont know what your missing out on, and the excuse you dont need a high end phone dont wash with most people...There just a better experience full stop.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I still like the Realme 6 but now no rush to buy it. I was going to buy it in a mall. Closed. My urgent need to buy a new phone was based on my currently weak battery. But as like much of the world now I'm not going out much or at all, I don't have any problem keeping it charged. 

I have a brand new Xiaomi 9T and a brand new Xiaomi 9T Pro. We got them as gifts and don't need them. Both immaculate and still factory wrapped. 

Specs:
Body: Aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front, glass back;
Display: 6.39" AMOLED, notch-free, 2,340x1,080px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 402ppi; HDR 10 and DCI-P3 compliant.
Triple rear camera: Wide - 48MP f/1.8, 1/2", 0.8µm pixel size, PDAF; Telephoto - 8MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm pixel size, 2x zoom; Ultra-wide - 13MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm pixel size; 2160p@30fps.
Front camera: Motorized pop-up 20MP, 0.8µm pixel size, f/2.2; 1080p/30fps video recording; drop detection.

Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 730: octa-core CPU (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 470 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 470 Silver), Adreno 618 GPU.

Memory: 6GB RAM; 128GB ROM.
Battery: 4,000mAh Li-Po (sealed); 18W fast charging.
Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.15/13 (800Mbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0
Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; single down-firing speaker; 3.5mm jack
And an extra thin plastic case for extra protection for the glass back

Carbon Black

Give them to you for 7000 each.

xiaomi-9T-combo.jpg

22 hours ago, Tariya said:

I have a brand new Xiaomi 9T and a brand new Xiaomi 9T Pro. We got them as gifts and don't need them. Both immaculate and still factory wrapped. 

Specs:
Body: Aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 5 front, glass back;
Display: 6.39" AMOLED, notch-free, 2,340x1,080px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 402ppi; HDR 10 and DCI-P3 compliant.
Triple rear camera: Wide - 48MP f/1.8, 1/2", 0.8µm pixel size, PDAF; Telephoto - 8MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm pixel size, 2x zoom; Ultra-wide - 13MP, f/2.4, 1.12µm pixel size; 2160p@30fps.
Front camera: Motorized pop-up 20MP, 0.8µm pixel size, f/2.2; 1080p/30fps video recording; drop detection.

Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 730: octa-core CPU (2x2.2 GHz Kryo 470 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 470 Silver), Adreno 618 GPU.

Memory: 6GB RAM; 128GB ROM.
Battery: 4,000mAh Li-Po (sealed); 18W fast charging.
Connectivity: Dual-SIM; LTE-A, 4-Band carrier aggregation, Cat.15/13 (800Mbps/150Mbps); USB-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; dual-band GPS; Bluetooth 5.0
Misc: Under-display fingerprint reader; single down-firing speaker; 3.5mm jack
And an extra thin plastic case for extra protection for the glass back

Carbon Black

Give them to you for 7000 each.

xiaomi-9T-combo.jpg

Hi,

if im correct the 9t pro is K20 as global version right?

could you please check it? (especiall what LTE Bands)

If yes interested in 9T Pro.

Are you in Bangkok?

Hi.

Yes, it is Global.

Here are the complete specs, the bands in bold.

Operating System: MIUI 10
CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, Octa core, 2.84GHz, GPU: Adreno 640
RAM: 6GB
ROM: 64GB
Display    Screen Type: AMOLED Capacitive screen
Screen Size: 6.39 inch
Screen Resolution: FHD+ (2340×1080 pixels) screen display
Network    Wireless Connectiveity: GSM, 3G, 4G, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth
Frequency:
2G GSM B2/B3/B5/B8,
3G WCDMA B1/B2/B5/B8,
4G FDD-LTE B1/B3/B5/B7/B8/B20, TDD-LTE B38/B40

Bluetooth: Yes
WiFi: Yes
GPS: GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo
Camera    Camera Type: One front Three back
Back Camera: 48.0MP+8.0MP+13.0MP
Front Camera: 20.0MP
Video Recording: Yes
Connectivity    SIM Card Slot: Dual Nano SIM Card Dual standby(2 Nano Sim Card)
TF Card Slot: N/A
USB Slot: Type-C USB
Audio Output: Yes
Microphone: Supported
Speaker: Supported
Media    Video Format: 3GP, MP4, RMVB
Audio Format: WAV, AMR, MP3
Image Format: GIF, JPEG, BMP, PNG
FM Radio: N/A
Language    
Afrikaans, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, Bulgarian, Bulgarian, Deutsch, English(Austrlia), English(Canada), English(India),English(New Zealand), English(Singapore), English(United Kingdom), English(United States), English(Denmark), English(Finnland), English(Germany), English(Ireland), Espanol(Espana), Espanol(Estados Unidos), French, Italiano, Magyar, Hravatski, Nederlands, Uzbekistan, Polish, Portuguese(Brasil), Portuguese(Portugal), Romana,Slovencina, Slovenscina, Suomi, Svenska, Vietnamese, Turkish, Czech, Russian, Ukrainian, Greek, Hindi,  Thai, Arabic,  Hebrew, Korean, Japanese, Traditional/Simplified Chinese

Sensor    Distance sensor, ambient light sensor, acceleration sensor, gyroscope, electronic compass
Additional Features    4G, WIFI, GPS, Bluetooth,Gesture Sensing,Smart Wake, Ebook, Email,Messaging, wallpapers, calendar, calculator,clock, camera, tethering & portable hotspot, fast charge, Type-C, Google Play Store, etc
Battery    Battery Type: Lithium
Capacity: 4000mAh(typ)/3900mAh(min) Built-in
Standby Time: About 2~3 days
Charger: USB, travel charger
Dimension & Weight (Main Product)    Dimension: 156.7 x 74.3 x 8.8mm
Weight: 191g
Package Contents    
1 × Phone
1 × Built-in Battery
1 × Type-C Cable
1 × Eject Pin
1 × Case
1 × User Manual
1 × EU Power Adapter (A right AC Adapter will be sent as your shipping country)

• 2 weeks later...

im content with oppo a9 2020, 6.7k baht on lazada 8 gb ram 128 gb rom 5000 mah battery

and good sound. its a bit big but i need to scroll up the fonts size anyway these days

so for me its a perfect fit. i especially care for ram & battery, both were painfully

inadequate on my ole phone, in fact i never carried it since the battery would just go flaccid if it wasnt connected to a charger.

it didnt come with holster so you need to buy online separate,

no shop open in pattaya

Edited by brokenbone