Shopping for a midrange but not Samsung or Apple smartphone now!

Jingthing

On 4/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, Jingthing said:

its still a smaller battery then oppo a9,

i guess small print need to be read if you are getting 8 or 6 gb ram,

i would cope with 6 gb if battery was exceptional, but never again mediocre battery. i never bothered bringing my last pos with me,

i would forget to put it on charge the minute i came home

and then it was completely ded

Edited by brokenbone

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

A version that's made for sale around the world not just in China. If you buy a Chinese version there might be problems with the ROM and language.

I purchased several China version phones, never had an issue with language.

What problems with ROM though ?

On 2/24/2020 at 8:17 PM, Henryford said:

Shame you can't spend a bit more. The One Plus 7 Pro is on Lazada for 15k. It is an amazing phone, knocks the spots off any of the 10k plastic ones from Oppo/Vivo and just as good as the 20/30k Samsungs.

The OnePlus 7 looks to be the Bees Knee mate.    Next time I buy any device I'll be sure it has a 3.5mm speaker jack however.

5 hours ago, brokenbone said:

until you read the fine print, 4000mah battery,

even budget phones can do better

I don't know much about it, but that seemed odd to me as I expect to get 3 full charges from my 10,000mAh battery pack, and I very seldom have to use it even once.  Looking at this site, I see a lot at around 4,000mAh and the top limit you can select if doing a search is only 5,000.  Seems to me that 4,000 would be more than adequate.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9846&idPhone2=9963&idPhone3=10203

1 hour ago, treetops said:

I don't know much about it, but that seemed odd to me as I expect to get 3 full charges from my 10,000mAh battery pack, and I very seldom have to use it even once.  Looking at this site, I see a lot at around 4,000mAh and the top limit you can select if doing a search is only 5,000.  Seems to me that 4,000 would be more than adequate.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9846&idPhone2=9963&idPhone3=10203

moto g7 power 5000mah 5-6k bht

i intended to buy it but it wasnt easy to get my hands on in thailand,

so i went for oppo a9

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g7_power-9527.php

battery pack, is that some sort of support system

for inadequate performance phones ?

medical-foldable-walking-aid-mobility-walker-with.jpg_640x640.jpg

Edited by brokenbone

7 hours ago, treetops said:

Are they more power hungry or do you get more life out of a charge?

80% of max doesn't seem like too much of a stepdown anyway.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/moto-g7-power,review-6340.html

it's this battery that propelled the phone to an astonishing 15 hours and 35 minutes of endless web-page streaming over T-Mobile's LTE network in our testing. This runtime makes the Moto G7 Power the longest-lasting phone we've tested in the last two years.

omg.jpg

Edited by brokenbone
  • Thanks 1

People watch in Starbucks or similar. In strut 3 La De Dah Dolly Mops, out come the Phones. Phone Time, Selfie with Little Girly hand pose, Post to Facemuck, then the 2 with cheapo things slip them back into fake Gucci Bag whilst Miss Rich puts Apple screen down so Logo is displayed to all. Men dont bother ive noticed, just drop them on the floor mainly like i do. All Good Fun.

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

I had an LG 6 that was a perfectly good telephone and did everything I needed it to do,  I now have an  Iphone XR and have not noticed any significant improvement. But I am not a techie.  

Most people wont.  They do the same thing after all.

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

I had an LG 6 that was a perfectly good telephone and did everything I needed it to do,  I now have an  Iphone XR and have not noticed any significant improvement. But I am not a techie.  

both are 4 gb ram & low end batteries, 2942 & 3300 mah respectively,

that is why you cant tell any difference, they are identical aside from brand.

a galaxy m31 got 6000 mah and you would feel the difference,

its probably cheaper then the iphone as well

Edited by brokenbone

OK, the only issue brought up here that concerned me was about how the supported networks for the Realme 6 wouldn't work in the USA. That it needed to be "global" or something. But I really don't understand. Is that really true?

The last time I was in the U.S. with my Lenovo I bought a local sim card and it worked fine for phone or data. I didn't use my Thai sim card there.

Lenovo networks:

2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900
3G HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100
4G LTE

•  

What exactly is the problem with compatibility? 

Here are the supported networks for the Realme 6 Thai version as far as I know:

Network - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz- UMTS 850/900/1900/2100 MHz- LTE Bands 1/3/5/8/38/40/41

I also might potentially want the phone to work on trips to Mexico and Colombia. Same thing, local sim cards.

USA

Mexico

https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/mexico

Colombia

https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/colombia

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 months later...

This topic requires an update!

So it turns out because of the lockdown this year and staying home so much, the most urgent reason I had to buy a new phone (dying battery) wasn't so urgent because I could just keep charging it at home.

So anyway, after all this time, I finally took the plunge and I kind of changed my mind.

I did get a Samsung.

I did spend more than 10,000 baht.

So I got the Samsung A71 for 11,500 baht.

It just arrived today, but so far, so good.

I had some reasons to finally buy a Samsung.

This particular model does it for me pricewise for features offered, even though more than the Chinese models. 

Yes, Samsung's reputation for quality seems deserved.

It's a super mass market brand. No more going in for accessories, etc. and not being supported.

Samsung Smart Switch.

I'd rather not buy Chinese products these days (except for the food). The politics and the privacy. I noticed in India there is a major boycott.

Assuming (though didn't really bother to check) that if I ever travel out of Thailand I'll be able to get a local Sim Card to work in it.

Large screen size (I watch a lot of vides) but the feel of the phone is still small enough to not seem too big. I just watched a psychedelic pattern video on it and the screen really is that good.

Downsides?

No water protection

Gorilla Glass 3 not 5

No stereo speakers

As above could have gotten similar and better features for less money with Realme, etc.