Best entry from Cambodia to Thailand

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Poipet is resoundingly regarded as the worst. 

Will your starting point be somewhere in Thailand or Cambodia?

Entering Thailand from Cambodia

I have only been out of Thailand two weeks, have a history of tourist visas, and would like to enter using a Visa exempt entry (I have never got one of these before). 

As I understand it, History of tourist visas + entering on a visa exempt may get me problems?

I have a flight ticket back to my country for April.

So I was wondering where is best

9 minutes ago, hughglo9 said:

So I was wondering where is best

Ban Laem is a well used border. 

Reading here I have only heard of Poipet being problematic, and some other Cambodian points presenting issues with those trying to do out/in bounce with a Non-Imm-O Multiple Visa. This is not your case. 

I presume this is your first land entry Visa Exempt this year, as the maximum is 2.

Stand by, some other posters will likely comment on borders they have used. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Ban Laem is a well used border. 

Reading here I have only heard of Poipet being problematic, and some other Cambodian points presenting issues with those trying to do out/in bounce with a Non-Imm-O Multiple Visa. This is not your case. 

I presume this is your first land entry Visa Exempt this year, as the maximum is 2.

Stand by, some other posters will likely comment on borders they have used. 

Yes I have never before used Visa Exempt. 

I am guessing the problem with using somewhere such as Ban Laem is lack of public transport passing through there from cambodia to Bangkok? All the busses seem to go via Poi Pet

2 minutes ago, hughglo9 said:

Yes I have never before used Visa Exempt. 

I am guessing the problem with using somewhere such as Ban Laem is lack of public transport passing through there from cambodia to Bangkok? All the busses seem to go via Poi Pet

Thai Visa Service do border runs to there and maybe you could get a ride back. Some of the other borders ( eg Had Lek) have services to Trat/ Rayong and Pattaya available. 

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thai Visa Service do border runs to there and maybe you could get a ride back. Some of the other borders ( eg Had Lek) have services to Trat/ Rayong and Pattaya available. 

A side question. I know if I flew from Cambodia to Bangkok I would likely have problems in the airport due to my travel history and TV's, but..

What if I flew from Phnom Penh to Chiang Mai?, and tried to get a visa exempt? . There are flights which go via DMK, but I assume I would go through immigration at Chiang Mai and only transit DMK.

If I have a recent history of TV's, would I get problems at Chiang Mai?

Edited by hughglo9

4 minutes ago, hughglo9 said:

A side question. I know if I flew from Cambodia to Bangkok I would likely have problems in the airport due to my travel history and TV's, but..

What if I flew from Phnom Penh to Chiang Mai?, and tried to get a visa exempt? . There are flights which go via DMK, but I assume I would go through immigration at Chiang Mai and only transit DMK.

Chiang Mai is reported to a 'friendly airport'. But I would expect you to change aircraft in DMK and go through immigration there. So no benefit. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Chiang Mai is reported to a 'friendly airport'. But I would expect you to change aircraft in DMK and go through immigration there. So no benefit. 

yes there is a change of aircraft in DMK, tho as I would be in transit and my luggage moving on with the airline I do not think I would go through immigration at DMK

Just now, hughglo9 said:

yes there is a change of aircraft in DMK, tho as I would be in transit and my luggage moving on with the airline I do not think I would go through immigration at DMK

I am not 100% but believe you would... that is my experience with many other countries.

Luggage is another matter, there would be customs at Chiangmai. 

Arriving in DMK would be an international flight (hence immigration), from DMK to CNX local flight, no immigration?

I'm in a similar situation (TV history, plan to do VE overland from Siem Reap to Surin in three weeks, after spending one week in Vietnam and one week in Cambodia, bus from Saigon to PP).

I went from PP to Trat via Ban Laem by public transport. The bus station on the Cambodian side is about 5 km from border crossing, there I had to take a mocy. On Thai side, vans directly behind the border.

12 hours ago, hughglo9 said:

If flying directly to Chiang Mai from overseas with a visa you would be very unlikely to be denied entry. However, Chiang Mai airport immigration does sometimes deny visa exempt entry (and they have orders to screen those requesting visa exemption to ensure they qualify as regular tourists). I strongly advise those with an extensive history as a tourist to avoid trying to enter visa exempt through any airport if there is a reasonable alternative.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Poi pet has always treated me right leaving Cambodia

That is probably due to you not having the intention of turning around and coming back on the same day and/or you visa/extension status.

I think they make problems for people that are wanting to do a border hop for a new entry to get a reputation for being difficult to reduce their workload.

From my experience, avoid Poi-Pet (technically Aranyaphratet Thai side) like the plague! I have made several crossings over recent years and I have always experienced long delays. The worst was 4 hours queuing and my latest, last month, 2 hours! Cambodian Immigration in Poi-Pet never a big problem and generally quick and friendly. 

• Like 1

Choam SaNgam (near Anlong Veng) is a friendly crossing.

However, you would be in the middle of nowhere at either side of the border so you would have to be fairly sure you wouldn't be denied there to try it.

On the cambodian side it's approx 130 km to SiemReap but on a new and good road (and taxis would cost approx 50 US $).

But at the thai side, the closest somewhat bigger city is SiSaKet (at approx 120 km) and Ubon - which has an Airport - is approx 190 km.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

From my experience, avoid Poi-Pet (technically Aranyaphratet Thai side) like the plague! I have made several crossings over recent years and I have always experienced long delays. The worst was 4 hours queuing and my latest, last month, 2 hours! Cambodian Immigration in Poi-Pet never a big problem and generally quick and friendly. 

You can usually expect long delays on the Thai side as Poi Pet is the Main crossing point for Khmers holding L-A visas as in Aranyaphratet, 2 kms from the border, is the Migrant workers registration office where they register an go thru orientation for their jobs in Thailand.

Spoke with some officials there and they process over 600 khmers /day.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

To do a same-day border hop, does this not require a Cambodian visa?

Both a Cambodian visa (which can be issued on arrival) and, assuming you do not have a multiple entry business visa for Cambodia, a waiver by Cambodian immigration of the Cambodian law that mandates an overnight stay. Avoiding the overnight stay often requires a present of 200-300 baht to the Cambodian officials.

On 2/24/2020 at 2:54 PM, hughglo9 said:

New direct flights from PP to Chiang Mai start on March 10.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, Burma Bill said:

Ditto for me. The queues are the worst part, though granted, I now always travel in my own car which means I can use the immigration counter for cars, which is located outside. The chaos and traffic as well as arbitrary rules by Thai customs like having to bring along some photocopies of your car registration to re-enter the country make it more of a hassle. I can save time by using Ban Pakkard, which is not that much further away from Bangkok compared to Aranyaprathet.

• Thanks 1