Cheapest Health Insurance

OK so may be stupidly but I've only just become aware that I am going to be required to have health insurance for my 0A extension after living here for 3 years. I thought the new rules only apply to new OA Applications.

Anyway I will be applying for my extension later this week or next depending upon when my bank letter arrives.

So I'm just wondering if anybody has had any experiences with finding the cheapest option I'm not really concerned with the coverage at this stage just want to get this whole f****** mess behind me. With the changes that have been made with regards to Embassy stat decs as proof of income it has all been in a pain in the bum! Also any idea how long it will take to get documentation from the insurance company once the application is made?

Cheers 

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

No I simply want the cheapest policy to satisfy the immigration requirement, I don't care about the coverage at this point.

1 minute ago, Stanley78 said:

Are you sure bothering with getting a potentially overpriced insurance with low cover is even cost effective?

I'm sure others can and will give more detailed advice.

• Like 1

I believe Pacific Cross Standard Plus  with a 300k deductible is as cheap as it gets ( to satisfy the Thai requirements ).

BUT, don’t jump in with both feet there are options to avoid the mandatory health insurance by converting to an O visa, various ways to do this .

Peter Denis will be along shortly with a document to show you your options.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Maybe you should dump your damn O-A by leaving the country and get a new Non Immigrant O and by then have NO NEED for a expensive health insurance....

Glegolo and Andrew Dwyer are correct with their suggestions.

I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

In order to access your PM-messages, just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 1 said:

No I simply want the cheapest policy to satisfy the immigration requirement, I don't care about the coverage at this point.

> Attached a link to a post highlighting the 'benefits' of the thai IO-approved policies.

I suggest you take a look before making a decision.

36 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

> Attached a link to a post highlighting the 'benefits' of the thai IO-approved policies.

I suggest you take a look before making a decision.

Thanks for that and all your hard work on compiling any information. I had previously seen your posts regarding this and it may be an option down the track but at the moment I'm just simply not interested in f****** around at the moment. Of course the other issue is if they happen to close that option and apply the health insurance to the O via also.

25 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Cheers @OJAS and @Andrew Dwyer That seems perfect to me. At 55 it means I would have to pay 22000 according to my reckoning, which is about 12000 cheaper than I've seen.

EDIT

Actually would I be right in assuming if I went for the standard extra option @27523b, it would actually be 50% discounted by taking the 300,000b deductible?

Edited by 1

10 minutes ago, 1 said:

Cheers @OJAS and @Andrew Dwyer That seems perfect to me. At 55 it means I would have to pay 22000 according to my reckoning, which is about 12000 cheaper than I've seen.

NB - I've now edited the post to which you were responding following some further delving which has revealed that it's Pacific Cross's Standard Extra Plus plan that's the cheapest, not their Standard Extra one!

Although the Standard Extra plan does indeed, on paper, appear to provide adequate cover in compliance with the Immigration Bureau's requirements, my gut feeling is that it's the specific BDMS Hospital Group exclusion that renders it ineligible in their eyes!

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

so in plain english, the cheapest throwaway policy renewable to 99 (or life) for someone with adequate outside insurance, only needing something to check the box at immigration,.........would run about US$2000/year for a 60yo.

any suggestions for a 60yo that isn't concerned with lifetime cover?  say something renewable to mid-70's, that would give time to work out alternate coverage or find a new retirement country.........or wait it out hoping the insurance requirement could be dropped after a few years.

I will go a step more harsh. Anyone that needs to rely on retirement for their extensions and originally had a non O-A is crazy to obtain Thai health insurance.

In fact the OP has perfect timing to kill off current permission of stay and obtain new non O. I'm aware can be done via reentry VE and do conversion at imm.

My vote take short holiday to HCHC and obtain non o.

Anything else is nuts. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I will go a step more harsh. Anyone that needs to rely on retirement for their extensions and originally had a non O-A is crazy to obtain Thai health insurance.

In fact the OP has perfect timing to kill off current permission of stay and obtain new non O. I'm aware can be done via reentry VE and do conversion at imm.

My vote take short holiday to HCHC and obtain non o.

Anything else is nuts. 

Curious to know what the standard thinking is here that they won't include the O Visa at a later date to require the exact same conditions?

1 minute ago, 1 said:

Curious to know what the standard thinking is here that they won't include the O Visa at a later date to require the exact same conditions?

Nobody knows for sure... but they cannot impose 12 month insurance requirement on a Non-Imm-O VISA as it only allows a 90 day stay.

Extensions is another matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 1 said:

Anything is possible. However don't confuse these 2 visas. People do that because the ongoing extensions had same requirements prior to insurance for non O-A. 

Different animals. Non o and non O-A.

I think what most folk did not see coming was insurance made compulsory for folk folk that are doing extension with original O-A. 

Absolute crazy rubbish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Nobody knows for sure... but they cannot impose 12 month insurance requirement on a Non-Imm-O VISA as it only allows a 90 day stay.

Extensions is another matter.

So in effect I would have to leave the country twice within about three months to satisfy the O visa requirements?

First time to cancel my existing Visa and then in 90 days?

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Anything is possible. However don't confuse these 2 visas. People do that because the ongoing extensions had same requirements prior to insurance for non O-A. 

Different animals. Non o and non O-A.

I think what most folk did not see coming was insurance made compulsory for folk folk that are doing extension with original O-A. 

Absolute crazy rubbish. 

Yes it's unfortunate the world over that bureaucracies do not seem to let Common Sense come into the thinking!

13 minutes ago, 1 said:

So in effect I would have to leave the country twice within about three months to satisfy the O visa requirements?

No, only once. A Non-Imm-O gets a 90 day Permit to Stay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 1 said:

You would only have to leave the country one time to apply for a non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate that allow a 90 entry or leave and re-enter to get a visa exempt entry. 

With a visa exempt entry you would apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

Then within the 30 days of either of the 90 day entries you would apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You would need exit Thailand once. 

Exit without reentry permit. Go anywhere. Good place and cheap flights is Saigon.

Obtain non o at Saigon consulate. Very chill easy to access place. Smallish queue. No appointment necessary. Chill out in district 1 with 25baht Saigon green.

After return attend imm with your non o and the other requirements you already have in place. Minus insurance. 

12 month extension. Happy days and all in place for repeat process 12 month down the track. 

Sorry for my laziness here.

With the O Visa I assume you apply for an extension in the exact same way as you do an OA Visa so you are not required to leave the country every year?