Teachers of Thailand: How much paid holiday do you get a year?

FruitPudding

How much (paid) holiday do you get?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am a now retired foreign teacher. I taught at four different high school in three different provinces, Two were public, two were private. I cast my vote on a composite average basis, though actually, there was not much difference between the four places. At one place, our annual holiday leave was about two weeks longer than the other three, but that was offset by a longer workday. The MOE and OBEC specify a required number of instructional hours/year. Too my knowledge, it is the same for all schools, at least within the two broad categories of Prathom and Mathayom.

I never realised until reading more stuff on here how many people teaching don't get paid for holidays. Fair play to anyone doing that and being able to live happily. 

My experience is slightly different as I have no knowledge of Thai schools, but in my international school we get 14 - 15 weeks off a year fully paid. We only get two public holidays off and are open as usual for most of them. Songkran always falls in Easter so we are off then anyway. We're allowed 3 personal leave days at full pay. 

For the 19/20 academic year our holidays are - 

October - 1 week

Christmas - 3 weeks

February - 1 week

Easter - 2 weeks

Summer - 7 weeks and two days (optional paid extra summer school for 2 weeks at the end of June / early July) 

• Like 2

7.5 weeks summer.

2+ weeks term break

1 week seasonal

1 week other

All Thai holidays

* Minimum two weeks of the summer period work at home for next term. I don't need all that time. Better to be prepared. Five weeks being lazy. Two week trip and recharge.

Edited by Number 6

On 2/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Not one baht from the middle of March to the beginning of June, sometimes not even paid for a few days off in November/ midterm.

I do not have sick leave, no business days, and no insurance!

Luckily, I could continue paying into my Thai social security privately, so I'm fully covered. 

But none of my colleagues has got that./ 

It wasn't always like that, but a wrong decision on my side only left the choice to work for an agency. 

Then, I couldn't leave because I had to be there a full year to get my teacher's license. 

It might soon be over, but that's how it is, perhaps was. I'm looking forward to greener pastures. 

For people who're planning to start teaching, please do not sign such a contract. 

I do regret it, but shi_t happens from time to time, and I'm now paying the price of leaving my school, where I had a lovely position. 

It's now time to move on. There's nobody else to blame than me for signing such a contract. 

It can be quite tricky when you have to feed a family. 

If it is any consolation, your contract is not legally binding in the eyes of Thai labour law. You can walk at anytime with no repercussions. It the contract does not fall in line with the labour law, which it won't, then it is a void contract. Purely done for show and to try to control you. Hope this helps. ????

• Thanks 1

When I started 12 years back, I accepted unpaid holiday for both the holidays, but that was OK. Life was fun back then!

As time progressed and the jobs got better, I got half pay and the monthly salary increased, then full pay every month for the whole year, we needed to do some lesson prep or some extra classes, but still received 6 weeks to 2 months off over the 2 holidays at full pay.

This progressed into getting up and making a 40 minute trek on a bike to scan your finger before 8.00 am. Summer camps were added to the list, along with spending time sitting in staff rooms twiddling thumbs or producing a text book for a social studies course that was never implemented after hours of meetings, from there it started going downhill. At that time I was practically working the whole year for 32K a month but this time we had no unpaid holiday and it wasn’t fun any more .. That was the time to quit.

Schools seem to lose track of the idea, we are here to enjoy Thailand, if you are working an 8 hour day, 48 weeks a year then you may as well go back home, and earn better money. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me do some quick math.  I think my last contract worked out to be about five weeks of vacation for nine months.  There are many days that simply turn into some "activity" or exams or something else that cancels classes.  Plus another week of giving exams, so that's really like six weeks off for nine months.  But, yes, summer camp, and a zillion little extra projects that amount to about an extra 30 hours.  Zero stress stuff, but it's still work.  

A good school will offer a 12-month contract.  My first one was maybe 18-months, but that doesn't come without its headaches.  

In hindsight, I think a 6-month contract makes sense.  If you don't like the school, leave.  easy.  Suffering for another six months isn't good.  

The KEY is to come to Thailand with lots of money and only teach for fun money.  Keep your burn rate down.  If you are a poor teacher, you must leave immediately and go make real money.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Like 1

I used to teach in Bangkok at one of the big public universities about 30 years ago.  Although I liked the teaching and the time off the money was quite poor.  Although looking at what some teachers make now, we actually did much better when adjusted for inflation.  Contracts were all for a year and you were paid for all the breaks throughout the year.  After a few years I left teaching and got a real job that was not in education and paid much more.    

allot of foreign teachers in Thailand work through an agency... its very rare for a school to hire a teacher directly unless its a University or an international school.

Most agencies will only pay for the time worked during the school year + plus normal scheduled holiday days (which there are quite a few)... during the school break teachers will usually have to fend for themselves by doing private lessons or camps. (be warned most agencies are shady they will try to overwork you without extra compensation... and will not pay on time... read your contract very carefully before signing or agreeing to anything)  In some cases an agency wont even do a proper interview before offering you a contract... which means they are desperate and cant keep the position filled..  take the position at your own risk if you come across an agency that is to eager too hire you.

its worth noting that some agencies will hire you if you don't have BA... but you will need to have a BA if you want to get a work permit.

Edited by speckio
  • Thanks 1

Paid holiday is not the be all and end all.

My best ever job was financially very good. I could leave for summer as soon as my grades were handed in. This was usually around 15th-18th March. I did not have to return until the day before new term which was about 10th May. No need to sign in or scan for the whole time. I usually had the whole of October off too. The school was Catholic run so a few days at Christmas. All Thai public holidays too. All of this time was with full pay. 

The job came with a 12 month contract and after one year of service a new year bonus of 1 month salary was given. So, in effect, 13 months salary. 

The job was great until a new department leader we elected. She started to create problems that weren't really there. The job became a pain and not at all enjoyable. The money was great but I was starting to feel angry at the mere sight of the woman. I left and got a job at a great school with a 10 month contract, no pay during school holidays, but had much more job satisfaction. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, thequietman said:

If it is any consolation, your contract is not legally binding in the eyes of Thai labour law. You can walk at anytime with no repercussions. It the contract does not fall in line with the labour law, which it won't, then it is a void contract. Purely done for show and to try to control you. Hope this helps. ????

Thank you, I'm definitely on my way out.

The problem is solved, looking forward to much greener pastures.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:50 PM, speckio said:

allot of foreign teachers in Thailand work through an agency... its very rare for a school to hire a teacher directly unless its a University or an international school.

Most agencies will only pay for the time worked during the school year + plus normal scheduled holiday days (which there are quite a few)... during the school break teachers will usually have to fend for themselves by doing private lessons or camps. (be warned most agencies are shady they will try to overwork you without extra compensation... and will not pay on time... read your contract very carefully before signing or agreeing to anything)  In some cases an agency wont even do a proper interview before offering you a contract... which means they are desperate and cant keep the position filled..  take the position at your own risk if you come across an agency that is to eager too hire you.

its worth noting that some agencies will hire you if you don't have BA... but you will need to have a BA if you want to get a work permit.

You're so right. Some agencies advertise jobs where a degree isn't needed.

Then the new teacher is sent on a visa trip; the consulate usually asks for a degree.

A phone call to the HRM and a fake degree produced and sent via e-mail. Unfortunately, are agencies only there to make money.

If you do not have insurance, no sick leave days, and no business days, you're nothing else than a number.

If the TCT then finds out that the degree is fake, it's usually the teacher who's got huge problems.

Deportation, hefty fines, etc. included. 

IMHO, these criminal practices have to stop immediately.

Of course, can these agencies make a meager offer to schools and then often get a contract. 

Why do some of us study for additional degrees to obtain a teacher's license when others do not give a flying <deleted>?

23 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

You're so right. Some agencies advertise jobs where a degree isn't needed.

Then the new teacher is sent on a visa trip; the consulate usually asks for a degree.

A phone call to the HRM and a fake degree produced and sent via e-mail. Unfortunately, are agencies only there to make money.

If you do not have insurance, no sick leave days, and no business days, you're nothing else than a number.

If the TCT then finds out that the degree is fake, it's usually the teacher who's got huge problems.

Deportation, hefty fines, etc. included. 

IMHO, these criminal practices have to stop immediately.

Of course, can these agencies make a meager offer to schools and then often get a contract. 

Why do some of us study for additional degrees to obtain a teacher's license when others do not give a flying <deleted>?

The comments that you make about agencies are often very wide and generalised. There are two very good agencies that operate in the Issan area. Visa, extension, WP and insurance all provided and paid for.

Good agencies play an important part in providing teachers to schools, especially in the less touristy areas which are often not as desirable to some foreign teachers. Often a lack of English speaking skills and lack of understanding of immigration and labour laws makes direct hire from a school complicated.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thanks 1

Last I counted I was getting an average of 118 "holiday" days per year off plus 52 Sat/Sun which works out to roughly 222 out of 365 days per year that I'm being paid not to work. This does not include school activities and school day holiday observances. (making kratongs, stringing flowers for Mother's/Father's/Teacher's day, O-NET study, sports week, etc.) where classes are not held.

All of this on fully paid, 1 year contracts so it's hard to claim that teachers have a hard life and even harder to listen to some whining that they have to stay til 4pm with no classes to teach.

If you're here to "simply enjoy Thailand" then please, don't teach. These poor kids have enough trouble now learning how to think independently and actually acquire an education. The MoE requires schools to "be open" for classes a certain amount days per semester BUT doesn't stipulate that education must take place beyond a set of guidelines and goals for national testing.

Add to this textbooks bought because they're pretty, or the schools get kickbacks through government programs that contain numerous grammatical and syntactical errors that you need to use and must (or should) correct before teaching. The casual, untrained "Teacher" does more harm than good.

Sorry, rant over. Some of us just care and take our profession seriously. :wai:

PS. To an earlier poster - Agencies don't get you a teacher's licence. They may help with the paperwork but you either qualify or you don't. They DO however get waivers but if you need to wait a year you're getting screwed.

I just quit a job. I got from mid Feb to mid May off and also October(paid). So 4 months plus a couple of weeks at Xmas. I also got 20 business leave days. Also got paid for 14 months(2 months bonus).

It's pathetic how some people accept 11 month contracts, non-paid holidays etc.