Ex-senator Ruangkrai writes to US ambassador over court ruling

webfact

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I love this guy bringing this up. He is also a legal expert.

So the Constitutional Court is in fact dubious and not officially anointed or certified, so is like a snake with out fangs? Oh please tell me it is so! Gonna be a lot of retrials. 

I quite liked the 'heard evidence from the prosecution. No need for evidence from the defence, the prosecution evidence was enough for us to form a verdict.'

Cowboys or what? And nw it seems they have never been properly constituted. Too funny. Put the beggars in prison for 10 years each, confiscate their assets and retry all their cases. with a properly constituted court that hears defences.

Never heard so much nonsense in all my life.

Mediaeval throwbacks all.

Edited by ParkerN

Now I'm as cynical as the next Englishman at the way some aspects of that fine document the Constitution of The United States of America have of late been interpreted in certain circles; but, aware of the almost sacred reverence with which it is held, I cannot but chuckle at the likely reaction of the ambassador in receiving a letter which quotes from three successive Thai constitutions, with only ten years separating each one!

• Haha 2

I'm curious when the Thais will finally wake up to the fact the US Government no longer sees them as a reliable, democratic ally in SE Asia. The coup caused major friction in the relationship and the farce of an election and recent events have not made things better. Prayut's dancing with the Chinese is quite troublesome and just emphasizes how unreliable this government will be.

The US has significantly improved ties with Vietnam during this time and against all odds, likely views them as a more reliable ally than Thailand at this point.

In Trump's view, Thailand just isn't all that important anymore (he didn't attend the APEC Summit here in Nov., nor did any high ranking US Gov't official) - but he went to the APEC Summit in Vietnam in 2017 and Hanoi to meet with North Korea's Kim. He has visited Vietnam twice now as president to zero for Thailand.

• Thanks 1

When this makes the American mass media, it will be important to people who watch news on TV. That is pretty much 20% of Americans. The others are more concerned with the price of beer and delivery time for a pizza. Not even a good pizza at that, unless you've eaten Thai made pizza maybe.  I included 'maybe' so as not to defame Thailand or pizza.

• Confused 1

So it appears the court was not properly constituted under Thai law. If this is so, the court is invalid and it's rulings have to be struck down. It is possible that the judges on said court are culpable and therefore guilty of an offence. Any person found to be obeying an invalid ruling shall also be guilty of an offence.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

So it appears the court was not properly constituted under Thai law. If this is so, the court is invalid and it's rulings have to be struck down. It is possible that the judges on said court are culpable and therefore guilty of an offence. Any person found to be obeying an invalid ruling shall also be guilty of an offence.

Non-trivial prison time without a pardon and no parole.

55 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Probably very true, but who will enforce anything "mai bpen rai"