Pool costs

Sametboy2019

In the sticks it is very hard to maintain if you are not there. My friend in Nakon nowhere filled his in because when he wasn't there it turned into a pond and filled with bugs and frogs!????

But back on topic 200k for an average small pool sounds good 

Edited by maprao

I have been gathering information for a pool build in Issan for about a month. Some generalizations from the data I have:

• In-ground tiled concrete and fiberglass cost about the same here in Thailand.
  • Most quotations I have received by pool businesses fall around 18,000 to 20,000 per square meter complete and ready to swim. Depths are 1.2 to 1.5.
  • A few quotes were 50% more. 1 was 25% less.
  • There are a lot of farangs building pools for other farangs. (Reminds me of the false economy of Japanese doing business with Japanese in Hawaii. They were happy things were cheaper than Tokyo, and had no idea what the real costs should be.)
  • DIY could easily cost 10,000 to 12,000 per m2 if built to the same spec and using mid range pump,  filter and salt chlorinator.

I would love more information before deciding on the build!

15 hours ago, Kwarium said:

There are a lot of farangs building pools for other farangs. (Reminds me of the false economy of Japanese doing business with Japanese in Hawaii. They were happy things were cheaper than Tokyo, and had no idea what the real costs should be.)

And a lot of them know what they are doing, there's some good thai-australian pool companies, the amount you pay extra is simply for their experience like in every other business too.

• Like 1

Hi 

I've just built a 9mtr x 4.7 mtr with depth 0.8 at shallow and 1.8 at deep end. All in 270,000bht tiled, salt water chlorinator, filter, salt pump etc. 

In ground concrete over seen bt me but built by locals, but tiled be myself. 

If this helps you 

Edited by jonny5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, jonny5 said:

Hi 

I've just built a 9mtr x 4.7 mtr with depth 0.8 at shallow and 1.8 at deep end. All in 270,000bht tiled, salt water chlorinator, filter, salt pump etc. 

In ground concrete over seen bt me but built by locals, but tiled be myself. 

If this helps you 

Nice big pool for a good price. I’m curious about your foundation, rebar, walls, plumbing, tiles, and choice of pump chlorinator, etc. 

DIY rocks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 10:32 PM, Kwarium said:

Most quotations I have received by pool businesses fall around 18,000 to 20,000 per square meter complete and ready to swim. Depths are 1.2 to 1.5.

That's roughly about right for an in-ground, fully tiled pool from a serious, well established pool company with a long record for quality and Western supervisory staff. Any less, and there's a question if the 'company' is registered and pays tax, has proper premises, and genuinely knows what they are doing. Any more, and the actual quality will be good but not better.

That said, much depends on whether the price includes a proper filtration system (no socks in the skimmers) from a quality brand, a proper pump room (not a dog kennel), and peripherals such as quality brands of underwater lighting and salt water chlorinators (or other disinfectant systems).

There is a difference in price (up to around 10%) between basic skimmer pools and overflow pools, while the choice of finish - standard tiles, luxury tiles, Pebblcrete, etc - can impact on the end price. Special designs may incur higher architect/conceptual design costs.

In the whole of Isan there are only about three (perhaps four) truly professional, long established builders of concrete pools and who have Western staff, so the distance they have to travel may also need to be factored in.

Shop around, but always try to visit their head office to see what's behind their advertising. It's worth a  day's outing before investing anything up to 1 mio ฿ or more. Ask to meet and talk to their customers.