More UK spending? Higher taxes look inevitable - think-tank

snoop1130

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If its anything like building silly train lines to knock an hour or so from Leeds to London he can forget it

It's not even an hour and no one will be able to afford the fares. Look at the high speed train in Spain AVE, a disaster.

13 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Per EU citizens it´s not so much what the EU lost. And the EU has the chance to save money so it´s doesn´t really hurt. I wonder why the UK government needs more money. They safe sooooo much money to be not in the EU anymore. ????????????

I believe you, but thousands wouldn't. ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

In the UK they said introducing competition tends to reduce prices, 20 years after privatising train companies, the UK has some of the highest train fares in the world.

Of course, the railways were only partly privatised, the public still gets to subsidise them, a classic case of nationalising losses and privatising profit.

Plus of course there was no competition, except when companies were bidding for each regional monopoly area.  And naturally, no railway franchise is willing to make a loss - so <deleted> the consumer, he has to suffer higher prices, reduced services or sometimes no service at all. I doubt that i will ever use HS2, but will still have to pay for it.