Insurance - Medical Expenses

KhaoYai

When I first bought my bike it was still insured 1st class by the previous owner. When renewal time came up the existing insurer refused to provide 1st class cover because they don't offer such cover for bikes once they reach 5 years old.  Despite my protests that the bike still had 5 or 6 weeks to go until it was 5 years old, they wouldn't move.

I tried to get 1st class cover from a number of companies as all the quotes for 2nd and 3rd class offered very poor cover and didn't seem worth having. I was particularly concerned that I have a reasonable amount of medical cover in case of an accident. I could not find any company that would quote for 1st class due to the bike's age. Then a friend suggested I contact a broker in Bangkok, I did and they got me 1st class with Muang Thai Insurance although at 12,000 baht it wasn't cheap.  I'm just coming up to my third year with them and my renewal notice has arrived. As usual the annual premium increase has swallowed up my no claims bonus so the policy is still around 12,000 even though the bike cover has reduced in line with the fall in value through age.

That prompted me to take a closer look at the cover I'm getting and I don't think its really adequate in terms of medical expenses. Although it covers third party's medical expenses at 500,000 per person with a claim ceiling of 10,000,000, my cover states 'Accident Medical Expenses/ 2 persons @ 100,000'. I need to clarify if that means 50,000 each or per person - I suspect its per person. Whichever it is 100,000 won't go far if I'm seriously injured and 50,000 might just about cover a broken leg.

Is this normal, anyone get better cover than this? I'm just thinking its not worth it but I would of course have to check out what the third party's cover would be on a lesser policy - I would't want to be blamed for an accident and end up paying someones hospital bill for the rest of my life.

Edited by KhaoYai

You are only one accident away from possibly being crippled the rest of your life or worse.

Why go through all the mental anguish over what if an accident happens?

Sell your bike and buy a truck or better yet...take public transportation.

It is not "if" you will have a vehicle accident in Thailand...but when?

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I was thinking about that but I think it may be very difficult to obtain for a motorcyclist. Unless you know a company?

AXA is the best i found. i have the 250k medical expenses per accident for 6900 baht but there is a 600k available for circ 15k. Includes motorcycles but read the small print. I got AXA to confirm in an email because the T&Cs were ambiguous.

Go direct if you are in Pattaya, good service and they speak English.

Mandatory bike insurance includes 30k medical expenses

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, KhaoYai said:

my cover states 'Accident Medical Expenses/ 2 persons @ 100,000'. I need to clarify if that means 50,000 each or per person - I suspect its per person.

My suspicions were wrong, it is 100,000 each for 2 persons. - confirmed by the broker today. However, Roojai are almost 5000 cheaper but their medical expenses are 50,000. I don't feel either figure is adequate.

6 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I was thinking about that but I think it may be very difficult to obtain for a motorcyclist. Unless you know a company?

There are PA that includes motorcycle riders, unless your work includes riding motorcycles specifically (ex. grab, foodpanda, delivery, etc).

I have one from Thaisri,and I saw one from AIG too.., that's aside from my Motorcycle insurance. Iv'e learned the hard way when I had an accident last year, motorcycle specific insurance will only cover medical on top of the PoRoBo (CTPL) if the accident isn't your fault. PoRoBo will cover you max 80k (proof of no legal liability) or 30k (no proof required).

But note that I don't have the class A insurance, as they don't offer that to 250cc and below. I have the Type 2+, so might be a diff case with Class A ones. 

For immediate medical coverage, get a personal accident insurance that includes motorcycle riders (commuters). 

Edited by alx123

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

Don't you have health insurance?

Health insurance is not possible for me unfortunately. I have a pre-existing illness and have been quoted massive premiums because of that - and that's just the ones that will cover me. The companies involved are absolute bar stewards in my opinion. I fully accept that a pre-existing illness would be excluded from the cover of any insurance I might seek. However, as my illness does not and will not affect my health in any other ways, I can't see how they can justify quoting me at least 10 x what others pay. The illness does not affect my ability to lead a normal life and I am in no way disabled.

Also, when I've had accident cover in the past - motorbike riding was always excluded.