Chevrolet assures after-sale service following exit from Thailand

snoop1130

Chevrolet assures after-sale service following exit from Thailand

By THE NATION

800_aad00a8567af759.jpg

Chevrolet Thailand said its after- sale services will continue at Chevrolet service centres nationwide after the brand's withdrawal from the Thai market at end of this year.

General Motors announced on February 17 that it had signed a binding term sheet with Great Wall Motors on the sale of GM’s Rayong vehicle manufacturing facility, and would withdraw Chevrolet from Thailand.

GM Thailand’s Director General Vanchana Unakul said GM Thailand has a large inventory of genuine parts for repairs and maintenance service of old and new Chevrolet models.

“I and the after-sale team will continue to take care of our customers ” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382752

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-24

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Somehow I just can't see any dealership of Chevrolet in Thailand staying open to service their brands...Thais in business do not work that way, and car dealers definitely don't.

As a Cruz owner of several years, I have found the dealerships service centers are sorely lacking in training anyway. My neighbor across the soi with a 2nd Captiva has the same problem. We have found several ex Chevrolet mechanics that have left the dealerships over the years and opened their own shops to handle foreign makes. We have found them to be better at it than the service centers at the dealerships. I summize there are reasons why these mechanics left the dealerships to start their own shops over the years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, featography said:

As a Cruz owner of several years, I have found the dealerships service centers are sorely lacking in training anyway. My neighbor across the soi with a 2nd Captiva has the same problem. We have found several ex Chevrolet mechanics that have left the dealerships over the years and opened their own shops to handle foreign makes. We have found them to be better at it than the service centers at the dealerships. I summize there are reasons why these mechanics left the dealerships to start their own shops over the years. 

Perhaps they left to increase their income...

• Like 1

Are there any consequences for the company if the just decide to shut down everything after a year, once they reduce their inventory of unsold cars?

GM failed because they don't seem to manage their Thai operation very well. I have a 2555 Aveo. I have had to make many repairs on this car within its first 50,000 Km. You can take the ignition key out when the car is in neutral. If you forget that your car is in neutral and take out the key, the car will roll if it is on an incline. I tried to get it fixed, but could not. Chevys have less value than Japanese cars on Thai market. The car has no durability it seems. Is it me or are the Chevys in Thailand inferior to Japanese or Korean cars?

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

GM failed because they don't seem to manage their Thai operation very well.

GM failed in the US quite a few years ago.  The government took it over to the tune of about 50 billion dollars.  Otherwise GM wouldn't have made it to 2010.

Edited by rwill

A statement like this from a company that is stopping with its activities here is not worth the paper it is written on (probably online only anyway).

Having said that, I don't believe in any guarantees from these guys, but do think parts and service will not be an issue, there are simply so many on the roads it is worth it to keep doing this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Somehow I just can't see any dealership of Chevrolet in Thailand staying open to service their brands...Thais in business do not work that way, and car dealers definitely don't.

He didn't say that dealers will stay open just to service their brand; he did say that...

"GM Thailand has a large inventory of genuine parts for repairs and maintenance service of old and new Chevrolet models. “I and the after-sale team will continue to take care of our customers”".

That means parts will continue to be available to those who want them, as GM has stated all along.

5 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

You can take the ignition key out when the car is in neutral. If you forget that your car is in neutral and take out the key, the car will roll if it is on an incline. I tried to get it fixed, but could not.

Don't Aveos have handbrakes, you know, those things specifically designed to stop the car rolling away on inclines?  There isn't a car in the world that wouldn't do that if left in neutral on an incline without applying the handbrake, is there?

5 hours ago, rwill said:
5 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

GM failed in the US quite a few years ago.  The government took it over to the tune of about 50 billion dollars.  Otherwise GM wouldn't have made it to 2010.

That poster obviously meant GM Thailand as the current GM, (US), has not failed. 

GM was bailed out in 2008/9, along with other companies, but the government later sold it's interests and no longer control those companies.

5 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

My wife has an optra ,we bought it donkeys years ago ,the reason we still keep it is ,because its such a reliable car,virtually nothing has gone wrong with it in 173000 km  ,but then i get it serviced every 6k and not by Chevrolet ,but by a good mechanic.

Use are very, very lucky I just hope you've not spoken to soon as 100,000miles is about the threshold of the engine and the transmission. Keep mothering it. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

GM Thailand didn't fail, the Parent company decided to no longer manufacture RHD vehicle and as such shut Thailand down as it was surplus to their needs.

FWIW GM was in negotiation with Great Wall since beginning of 2019 so its a but <deleted> the way they have done this with Thailand and Australia.

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Use are very, very lucky I just hope you've not spoken to soon as 100,000miles is about the threshold of the engine and the transmission. Keep mothering it. 

you are joking ,my old company had reps cars that had done 250000 miles on the same engine ,all serviced regularly.

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

He didn't say that dealers will stay open just to service their brand; he did say that...

"GM Thailand has a large inventory of genuine parts for repairs and maintenance service of old and new Chevrolet models. “I and the after-sale team will continue to take care of our customers”".

That means parts will continue to be available to those who want them, as GM has stated all along.

Chevrolet are and have opened what they  call 2s and 3  s  service centres, I  guess  they  will expand these to cope  with service work, dealers can also carry  on with service work if they want, the question is  how many will? although they have had to invest in various machines already to do current service work.

My  biggest gripe is that they did  not  notify current customers about an upcoming sale FIRST so  those  loyal customers got  bugga  all in the  way of an opportunity to  buy a  new vehicle before they'd  all gone.

Add to  all this the general Thai crappy service with  most things anyway and you  have a double whammy. That said this is becoming a worldwide  problem where even in  other countries they seem to give you  the run around in the hope  you'll give up. The trading standards  agency in the  UK used to  have some teeth at one time but  now  all they have is  Grannys ole  gums and are virtually useless.

I  doubt  parts  will be a  problem for a long time and there is  also lots of other parts  available in places  such as Facebook Market especially aftermarket  stuff  such as  projector headlights and lots of  body panels  bumpers etc.

I have a  Colorado and the vehicle is fine no complaints at  all, the service  is not so good but I've had  no problems with it in  the last 14 months.

I  keep my vehicles   quite a  long time so depreciation is  not an issue  for me. 10  years normally, many cars now seem to last way  longer than years ago.

I see Honda stopped manufacturing in the Phillipines recently in Automobiles (  but opened a  new scooter  factory)  now also and Ford too in Indonesia Japan https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2016/01/25/ford-closing-down-unprofitable-japan-indonesia/79297876/

I wouldn't be surprised to see  Ford go although there sales are about 50k a  year which is a lot higher than Chevrolet's were.

13 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"after- sale services will continue at Chevrolet service centres nationwide"

Ah, but who will own or franchise these service centers - Great Wall of China Motor Company ?

That's the real  issue  when lets  say and engine gives out an they decline to replace it with a new  one and GM  will have washed their hands of all of this  by then.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:17 AM, featography said:

I would be grateful for a pm with the name and number of one such mechanic

Many thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Australian dealers are  a  bit  miffed as they have another 2.5  years  left on their dealership franchises and are meeting with their PM

How bout the ones that have spent millions refurbishing their dealerships and will never actually open them !!