Stocks Plunge on Virus Fears US DOW Down almost 1000

48 minutes ago, seasia said:

It would have made a cracking short from last night.

East to say now though.

I'm always suspicious when the markets take huge falls based on rumors or dire predictions.
If you look deep enough you'll find that "some people" are usually making a bundle in the process as if it was the intended result. 
https://www.thebalance.com/how-falling-stock-prices-can-make-you-rich-358152

Believe it or not the 2008 crash made quite a few millionaires wealthier than they were before it all went tits up.

• Like 1

The message should have got through to the brokers weeks ago.

The decline in tourism will grossly effect the travel and tourism industry, i.e. airlines, hotels. Plus manufacturing companies and who they supply to will be hit.

It’s like the markey suddenly realised something was wrong and ....whammy...sell, sell, sell.

Worse than a virus in a computer!

• Like 1

There was and still is some good buying on the larger exchanges today. A few tech stocks made all their losses on the AU exchange as did some miners. Might be a few more drops like this, short term though. Gold is still on the rise.

FTSE is due to open and there might be some good buying with the banks that have already been way oversold since this Brexit thing has been happening.

But for many it might be time to take off the trousers and put your 'shorts' on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

I'm always suspicious when the markets take huge falls based on rumors or dire predictions.

The Covid-19 virus is not a rumor or you are Iranian :neus:

All major stock markets plunged several percent yesterday ( except the Japanese Nikkei who limited the damage, losing only 0.4%. )
And at the same time gold is at an all-time high.
Gold hasn't stopped rising for several months; it is therefore not because of Covid-19, but because of this virus, its value has continued to rise very quickly for several weeks.

The price of oil collapses; this is normal given the considerable number of overhead lines which are suspended or simply canceled.
With that, the second world economy, China, is almost at a standstill.

There is a fear of a shortage of drugs: normal, China produces three quarters of the principles that compose them. Sterile masks are starting to run out: most are made in China, requisitioned by the authorities. Stores are finding it difficult to source textiles, shoes. Numerous French and European assembly lines are slowing down the pace in the automobile, mechanics, electronics: many parts and components, made in China, are becoming scarce.

I have the idea that the clear-sighted bosses of many companies will soon think of repatriating to their countries of origin the productions which they had relocated

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:
12 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

The Covid-19 virus is not a rumor or you are Iranian :neus:

The Covid-19 virus predictions actually are pretty dire at this point so it appears you don't understand the true meaning of the word "or".

It's possible that English is not your first language . I always get this impression when I read your posts.  Next time try to read the context of the entire post to get the full meaning of why it was written.  Iranian ????  You really got me scratching my head on that one.  It makes it appear as if you had no clue about what I was referring to in response to the post by @seasia    that I quoted..   My personal opinion was reflected regarding  sudden market changes. Your personal opinions are based on your own observations.  I have a more than a few million reasons to trust my own judgement and intuition. 

To each his own ......