Scores injured after head on train collision in Ratchaburi

webfact

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Derailment in Australia few days ago, driver and pilot killed, others injured.

Yes .. gross human error in conjunction with bad tracks. Driver wanted to catch up on lost time. Speed at accident .. 40kmh ?

As bright as Thai drivers.. Must be the ASEAN driving virus ????

Edited by Elzear
correction

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Agreed. Derailments are quite common in North America.

A week or two ago there was a thread on TVF about a vehicle coming off a ferry. Many people faulted Thailand for this. I recalled it clearly when I read a story a couple days ago about a car coming off a Ro-Ro ferry in Florida ... two old gals dead.

Accidents can happen anywhere.

It is not a reasonable comparison because the amount of freight moved in North America compared to Thailand is massive. I believe it is about 2.5 billion tons vs 12 million tons. North American  freight also travels longer distances. The North American  freight trains  can be 2000m in length while a Thai freight train is much  shorter, perhaps 500 m at most. North American trains carry significantly more dangerous cargo that Thailand, and yet  North American  freight trains have  a decent safety record and one much better than Thailand's.

In respect to the private ferry incident in Florida, the  event is still under investigation. Both ladies were found in the back seat of the car, embracing, so, that aspect of the incident must be explained.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, samsensam said:

absolutely, there was a bad train crash in italy recently.

there is, however, a simple and extremely effective way to manage safety on a single line railway using a token system where the train driver has to be in possession of a token in order to enter a stretch of single track. Because there was only one unique token issued at any one time for each stretch of single track, it is impossible for more than one train to be on it at a time.

Bitcoins might work.

Years ago I caught an old rattle trap from Hua Lamphong to Surin. We clunked and creaked and banged throughout the night then stopped in the middle of nowhere. Nobody seemed to know what was going on and cared less. I finally got up and went to get off and have a look around and a train guard stopped me and said in quite good English, "sorry sir, not long. Man sleep on line and we just clean up.".  All this with a big smile as he motioned me back to my rock hard seat. A minor inconvenience apparently, going by the lack of concern by all except me.

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

Happily we don't have high speed train in Thailand.

High speed train would involve mordern signal techinique other than middle age railway equipment nowadays.

I saw a train in Hua Hin which stoped luckly to let cars pass a railway track while road tarfic bars were open.

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This is just a fluke...public transportation is safe...try it...you will see just how exciting it can be.

I have flown, taken trains and buses,  taxis and motorcycles...each ride offers unique opportunities for unexpected adventure...

????

Yeah, right! Tell me about it.

010.jpg

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

This is just a fluke...public transportation is safe...try it...you will see just how exciting it can be.

I have flown, taken trains and buses,  taxis and motorcycles...each ride offers unique opportunities for unexpected adventure...

????

and crashes 

• Haha 1

I must admit i like thai railways and use this very train often returning to PKK

However it does take some doing to crash 2 trains into each other especially when one is stopped!

Luckily it appears to have happened at low speed anything much faster would have indeed been a disaster

Edited by poohy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, blazes said:

Yet another reminder that what LoS needs is not a high-speed train but a functioning MODERN railway system.

Modern as in 20th century European.....

half the pedestrian crossing signals in CM don't work.  no surprises.  third world maintenance.  just buy more submarines.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Accidents can happen anywhere in the world

Yes but almost impossible to compare Thailand to the rest of the world especially N. America. I used the train all the time travelling from Trang to BKk and vack and I loved it as each journey was a little adventure and I felt quite safe plodding along at 50kmh in my 1st class cabin (lol) 12~14 hours, I liked the food and would bring my own drink and music just watching the world go bye. And now this..... Come on Thailand its not complicated you have one track and it's not busy or high speed. Please don't spoil this for me... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

????

True 

Who needs parasailing in Phuket. 

Take the ride of death on thai public transportation. 

• Haha 1