BANGKOK
tomx2

Songkran 2020 in Pattaya.

Is the last day of Songkran in Pattaya April 20th & the 21st it's over?

thanks.

• Haha 1

If they start using water connected to sewage it could be a blood fest

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Surprised that it's going ahead at all. Watersupply already greatly reduced due to drought, plus COVID-19 it doesn't make sense.

Ahhh, but just think how SANOOK it is!

• Confused 1

19th is on a Sunday, so the urge to continue into Tuesday is probably not there

20th is the big day for Ban Amphur down to Sattahip, sometimes Jomtien considers itself south enough to extend the festivities into the 20th too, but having the 19 on a Sunday is probably enough for the out of towners to go home 

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

19th is on a Sunday, so the urge to continue into Tuesday is probably not there

20th is the big day for Ban Amphur down to Sattahip, sometimes Jomtien considers itself south enough to extend the festivities into the 20th too, but having the 19 on a Sunday is probably enough for the out of towners to go home 

It officially starts on Monday 13th so the urge could be to bring the start forward to the previous Saturday. I hope not.

30 minutes ago, CGW said:

It's an ancient ceremony, a holiday, its yearly, how can it not go ahead?

What would be said elsewhere if it was decided Christmas or Easter were not "going ahead"?

Historically and in the rest of Thailand it dates from the 13th to the 15th 3 days. In Pattaya it's a full week.

I can remember not many years ago in Phuket it was reduced to 2 days due to the drought. The Thai government does whatever it wants. If they want to cancel it they will do.

TiT not "elswhere".

Edited by DannyCarlton

23 minutes ago, Farang two dot zero said:

Already that the water reserve is valid until June I will be curious to know the consequences of Songkran 2020

Already seriously reduced the water pressure in Pattaya.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Historically and in the rest of Thailand it dates from the 13th to the 15th 3 days. In Pattaya it's a full week.

Just noted this is the Pattaya forum! :shock1:

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is ridiculous, the rest of the country not as intense! Pattaya made up the extra weekend in the mid nineties as a way of making money, prior to that Pattaya was the same as elsewhere, the first few years were fun, then either I got older or it just became ludicrous, the jury's out!

I'll cover any bets you want to make on it being cancelled :wink:

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Just noted this is the Pattaya forum! :shock1:

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is ridiculous, the rest of the country not as intense! Pattaya made up the extra weekend in the mid nineties as a way of making money, prior to that Pattaya was the same as elsewhere, the first few years were fun, then either I got older or it just became ludicrous, the jury's out!

I'll cover any bets you want to make on it being cancelled :wink:

Even as recently as 5-10 years ago it was never an extra weekend, but a 1-day only (per area) things that was a local secret that people outside the area aren't quite aware off and gets caught out all the time. And it used to be that it was dry even on the National Day of 13 except some hooligans around Soi 7  

Other parts of Thailand also observed 'Wan Lai' Songkran date differs from the National 13 April includes some area Samut Prakarn next to Bangkok

• Thanks 1

Pattaya 12th April to 19th for many years now. A suggestion this year to extend it to 20th but I've not heard if it's been confirmed.

Not my pic.

372143673_songkran2020.jpg.c3968b35f8eee652f39d7843e0ccc03c.jpg