Songkran 2020 in Pattaya.

tomx2

19th is on a Sunday, so the urge to continue into Tuesday is probably not there

20th is the big day for Ban Amphur down to Sattahip, sometimes Jomtien considers itself south enough to extend the festivities into the 20th too, but having the 19 on a Sunday is probably enough for the out of towners to go home 

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

19th is on a Sunday, so the urge to continue into Tuesday is probably not there

20th is the big day for Ban Amphur down to Sattahip, sometimes Jomtien considers itself south enough to extend the festivities into the 20th too, but having the 19 on a Sunday is probably enough for the out of towners to go home 

It officially starts on Monday 13th so the urge could be to bring the start forward to the previous Saturday. I hope not.

30 minutes ago, CGW said:

It's an ancient ceremony, a holiday, its yearly, how can it not go ahead?

What would be said elsewhere if it was decided Christmas or Easter were not "going ahead"?

Historically and in the rest of Thailand it dates from the 13th to the 15th 3 days. In Pattaya it's a full week.

I can remember not many years ago in Phuket it was reduced to 2 days due to the drought. The Thai government does whatever it wants. If they want to cancel it they will do.

TiT not "elswhere".

Edited by DannyCarlton

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Historically and in the rest of Thailand it dates from the 13th to the 15th 3 days. In Pattaya it's a full week.

Just noted this is the Pattaya forum! :shock1:

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is ridiculous, the rest of the country not as intense! Pattaya made up the extra weekend in the mid nineties as a way of making money, prior to that Pattaya was the same as elsewhere, the first few years were fun, then either I got older or it just became ludicrous, the jury's out!

I'll cover any bets you want to make on it being cancelled :wink:

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is ridiculous, the rest of the country not as intense! Pattaya made up the extra weekend in the mid nineties as a way of making money, prior to that Pattaya was the same as elsewhere, the first few years were fun, then either I got older or it just became ludicrous, the jury's out!

I'll cover any bets you want to make on it being cancelled :wink:

Even as recently as 5-10 years ago it was never an extra weekend, but a 1-day only (per area) things that was a local secret that people outside the area aren't quite aware off and gets caught out all the time. And it used to be that it was dry even on the National Day of 13 except some hooligans around Soi 7  

Other parts of Thailand also observed 'Wan Lai' Songkran date differs from the National 13 April includes some area Samut Prakarn next to Bangkok

• Thanks 1

Don't forget the Tourism Minister said everything will be fine by Songkran as the (Covid) virus "doesn't like hot weather" !
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1149863-thailands-tourism-minister-everything-will-be-fine-after-songkran-the-hot-weather-will-blow-the-virus-away/

They also announced previously that they were thinking of extending Songkran this year to make up for the revenue lost so far.

Of course they've also said that they expect the number of arrivals to double in the last half of the year (above normal) so that by the end of the year everything will be just as though the virus never happened !

• Like 2

No way no how I will be here.

Was headed to Angeles City as previous years.  AC however is full of Koreans. My friend who lives there said there are rumors of numerous virus victims, although nothing has been confirmed by the government.

So, maybe another plan just not here.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No way no how I will be here.

Was headed to Angeles City as previous years.  AC however is full of Koreans. My friend who lives there said there are rumors of numerous virus victims, although nothing has been confirmed by the government.

So, maybe another plan just not here.

I've previously stayed in a couple of villages in Issan and it's still celebrated as described bu Khun Benq in post #10. Quite an uplifting spiritual experience, nothing like Songkran in the tourist centres.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CGW said:

It's an ancient ceremony, a holiday, its yearly, how can it not go ahead?

What would be said elsewhere if it was decided Christmas or Easter were not "going ahead"?

I think that the reasons for cancelling Christmas or Easter fall into a different category. For a start people don’t throw ice cold water over each other in a time when there is a major outbreak of a virus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think that the reasons for cancelling Christmas or Easter fall into a different category. For a start people don’t throw ice cold water over each other in a time when there is a major outbreak of a virus.

Thanks for the explanation ???? 

Do they throw ice cold water everywhere in Thailand or just in tourist areas where less than 8% of the population live?

PS I made up the 8% as don't have a clue of the real numbers ????

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

Thanks for the explanation ???? 

Do they throw ice cold water everywhere in Thailand or just in tourist areas where less than 8% of the population live?

PS I made up the 8% as don't have a clue of the real numbers ????

It doesn’t matter if ice cold water or not but throwing any form of liquid about when there is a virus must heighten the risks of passing infections Coronavirus or other

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 7:39 AM, DannyCarlton said:

Surprised that it's going ahead at all. Watersupply already greatly reduced due to drought, plus COVID-19 it doesn't make sense. As for the proposal of 2 added days, crazy.

To the OP last day is usually the 19th.

The water amount of water thrown at Songkhran is miniscule compared to the amount used to irrigate and flood the rice fields.  

18 hours ago, CGW said:

Yes, Songkran in Pattaya is ridiculous, the rest of the country not as intense! 

Try coming to Chiang Mai for the festival to soo how 'intense' it is here.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

It doesn’t matter if ice cold water or not but throwing any form of liquid about when there is a virus must heighten the risks of passing infections Coronavirus or other

In all honesty, I would have thought that there is a higher chance of catching some horrible disease from the possibly dirty water than spreading the "virus"

14 hours ago, treetops said:

Pattaya 12th April to 19th for many years now. A suggestion this year to extend it to 20th but I've not heard if it's been confirmed.

Not my pic.

PM Prayut have said no to extend of Songkran. Sorry to say, but first time I have heard him make the right decision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

In all honesty, I would have thought that there is a higher chance of catching some horrible disease from the possibly dirty water than spreading the "virus"

You seem a bit paranoid. Have you ever heard about people being sick during/after Songkran because of "dirty" water? 

Just now, Max69xl said:

I haven't noticed any reduced water pressure where I'm staying. 

Well if the place your staying in has a large storage tank and the water is pumped from there, you won't. Neighbour next door ran out of water the other day when his tank emptied as it was filling so slowly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Well if the place your staying in has a large storage tank and the water is pumped from there, you won't. Neighbour next door ran out of water the other day when his tank emptied as it was filling so slowly.

Same here I live between 3rd Road and Soi Arunotai, water some times completely stops then runs very slowly into the tank.

• Like 1