BANGKOK
WaveHunter

THAILAND TRAVEL BAN ISSUED BY UAE (COVID-19)

Do we really know the true picture about COVID-19 infections in Thailand?  The daily stats have been suspiciously static for over a week.  That has been making me real concerned about the official transparency. 

What does the United Arab Emirates know, that we don't?

Seriously...does anyone know the reason they are banning Thailand specifically?  I've googled and can find no explanation given by UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Please post, if you have ACTUAL details.

1666119080_snapshot_2020-02-25at6_50_49AM.jpg.0855b6753b467baa1ef25706ec257695.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

The Thai government has earned this.

I guess I have been naive but I believed Thai officials were handling this well...up until I noticed that the infection stats have suspiciously stayed static for over a week now.  And now this???

I'd really like to know the details behind the UAE banning travel to Thailand but everywhere I look I can find no details!  I think this is fairly concerning; why Thailand and not many of the other countries with published rates of infection that are far higher?

Bahrain issued this on the 21st.

IMG-20200222-WA0000.jpg

I read that they estimate that maybe 30% of the world population will get this virus but most folks wont even notice it besides just some ordinary flue symptoms.. But other ones will get severely ill or worse.. 

Now its in Italy..

28 minutes ago, donnacha said:

The Thai government has earned this.

Why?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I read that they estimate that maybe 30% of the world population will get this virus but most folks wont even notice it besides just some ordinary flue symptoms.. But other ones will get severely ill or worse.. 

Now its in Italy..

It kills also non-coronavirus patient because of lack of ICU. According to this post someone died in Korea after being refused in 7 hospitals: https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/f8y4zi/korea_noncoronavirus_patient_dies_as_7_hospitals/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Why?

My 2nd post in this thread (#9) provides further elucidation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

The first rule of lying, which most people learn around the age of six, is that you have to keep it vaguely realistic. The Thai figures were widely regarded as a joke even before they magically stalled at 35 last week. Thailand was, by far, the favorite international vacation destination for citizens of Wuhan, twice as popular as Japan or Korea.

Worse, they did nothing to stop Chinese continuing to pour into Thailand even after it became clear there was a problem, and other countries rushed to protect their citizens by blocking travel from China. Thailand is now, quite deliberately, a back door for Chinese citizens to get to other countries that have banned direct flights from China.

It is almost as if they want Thailand to become the next Hubei province, but without China's competence and brutal ability to enforce a quarantine. China can build new hospitals in less time than it would take Thailand to figure out the bribes. Roadblocks would become an interesting new way for the Thai police to collect bribes. A highly transmissible virus combined with Thainess is going to be an utter disaster.

For a country dependent on tourism, it is staggering that they have risked everything simply to avoid offending the Chinese.

As much as I hate to agree, I think you hit the nail on the head.  There's no question that tourism drives the Thai economy, and the Chinese are by far the largest demographic of tourism.  Sadly, politicians and bureaucrats (in any country) are usually the worst people to count on for "doing the right thing"

• Like 2