U.S. Democrats want Russia sanctions over 2020 election interference

webfact

U.S. Democrats want Russia sanctions over 2020 election interference

2020-02-25T000814Z_1_LYNXNPEG1O004_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-CRISIS-CONGRESS.JPG

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) holds a news conference after the final vote on the war powers resolution regarding potential military action against Iran, at the Capitol in Washington, U.S. February 13, 2020. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senior U.S. Democrats said on Monday that President Donald Trump's administration should immediately impose sanctions on Russia after U.S. intelligence officials told members of Congress that Russia appeared to be trying to influence this year's U.S. election.

Senators Chuck Schumer, Bob Menendez and Sherrod Brown wrote to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin demanding that the administration "immediately and forcefully" put sanctions on the government in Moscow and any Russians involved in election interference.

A congressional source told Reuters on Friday that intelligence officials had told lawmakers that Russia appeared to be engaging in disinformation and propaganda campaigns to help both Democratic presidential challenger Bernie Sanders and Trump, who is seeking re-election in November.

The Kremlin on Friday denied interference.

U.S. law allows the administration to propose sanctions on Moscow in response to election interference.

Congress passed the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act, or CAATSA, in 2017 partly in response to the intelligence community's finding that Russia interfered in the 2016 election to boost Trump's chances of winning the White House. Moscow denies that allegation and Trump has repeatedly questioned the finding.

In the letter released on Monday, the three senators urged Pompeo and Mnuchin to move swiftly to impose sanctions.

"Doing anything less would be an abdication of your responsibility to protect and defend the US from this serious threat to our national security, and to the integrity of our electoral process," they wrote.

The White House, State Department and Treasury did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Schumer is the Senate Democratic leader. Menendez and Brown are the top Democrats on the Senate Foreign Relations and Banking committees, which oversee sanctions policy.

Trump replaced acting Director of National Intelligence Joseph Maguire with U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell last week. According to media reports, Trump was annoyed by the briefing to lawmakers about Russian interference.

(Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-25
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CaptRon2 said:

Please show us where in this article it says the Republicans are afraid of sanctions, but by all means just continue to make things up.

The Democrats are so screwed up they present little (if ny threat) in the 2020 elections. They have accomplished nothing in the past three years, there constant failed underhanded tactics have cost them any credibility they once had, and they don’t have a legitimate candidate. 

Whats to be afraid off? 

"They have accomplished nothing in the past three years" - neither has Trump, or his treacherous sycophants, you big talking man, you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

"They have accomplished nothing in the past three years" - neither has Trump, or his treacherous sycophants, you big talking man, you! 

To use your own words, There's none so blind that cannot see.

Open thine eyes! Having accomplishing that do a Google search on Trumps accomplishments. Try to give yourself a little extra time, it’s a lengthy read.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CaptRon2 said:

Totally malicious, untrue statement, Please provide proof of President Trump cheating in elections.

i think starting and spreading untrue rumors about a political opponent is a true example of cheating, but if your a Democrat it seems that is all you have left.

if you are going to make serious accusations, try supporting your statements with some credible references.

Ok skipper here ya go russa are you listening?how can we forget the helinskey fiasco and on and on and on the asking foreign governments for information against political rivals when someone speaks truth to power their careers are ruined ya know that kinda stuff kinda tends to get the alarm bell going wake up this isent about republican or Democrat it’s about democracy and rule of law it’s not about pushing emotional buttons and perceived wrongs

8 hours ago, meechai said:

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that ????

What the people want is for the Dem's to get a bill for every false claim fueled investigation

they cost the American Tax Payers

What I want is for trump to reimburse the government for all the golf and executive time and the use of government resources to campaign 

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Ok skipper here ya go russa are you listening?how can we forget the helinskey fiasco and on and on and on the asking foreign governments for information against political rivals when someone speaks truth to power their careers are ruined ya know that kinda stuff kinda tends to get the alarm bell going wake up this isent about republican or Democrat it’s about democracy and rule of law it’s not about pushing emotional buttons and perceived wrongs

2 hours ago, Tug said:

What I want is for trump to reimburse the government for all the golf and executive time and the use of government resources to campaign 

Blah, blah, blah.

We see you are enjoying fun times in your own personal echo chamber.  Tedious.

SIT      

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Somewhere In Time said:

Blah, blah, blah.

We see you are enjoying fun times in your own personal echo chamber.  Tedious.

SIT      

Nope I will never give up my country and btw there are lots and lots of folks that feel the way I do

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tug said:

And so on and so is not a credible reply. As far as requesting help investigating Biden, that is not cheating either. The President can request help investigation corruption wherever he pleases, and just because Biden is running for office does not shield him and his family from their illegal activities. Bragging about the incident on a TV interview probably wasn’t the brightest thing Biden ever did either, but it is typical Biden behavior.

Your accusations of cheating without providence references amount to nothing more than malicious rumors.

14 hours ago, Bundooman said:

They have accomplished nothing in the past three years" - neither has Trump, or his treacherous sycophants, you big talking man, you! 

Not according to my broker and accountant. How are your businesses going? Hows your portfolio?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tug said:

Nope I will never give up my country and btw there are lots and lots of folks that feel the way I do

Sure, you feel that you are doing good. I understand. You are patriotic and are doing for the sake of the country....

But when Pres Trump is reelected in a landslide, will you quiet down then? As a patriotic move for the benefit of the country, who clearly will have rejected your view of Presidnet Trump? Maybe work together for the benefit of all, instead of villifying your fellow citizens.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, meechai said:

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that ????

What the people want is for the Dem's to get a bill for every false claim fueled investigation

they cost the American Tax Payers

You speak for "the people" now ? 

And apparently "the Dem's" (sic) aren't people? 

Were you speaking for them when polls showed a majority of "the people" wanted an impeachment trial and witnesses? "The people" elected the democratic candidate in 2016 by popular vote too. 

Those things didn't turn out well for "the people". 

Perhaps "the people" would be better off if you stopped speaking for them?