Weevils in my cereals

poppysdad

It’s happened a couple of times in the past and again yesterday. I had taken a couples of spoonfuls of my breakfast cereal and suddenly noticed minute creatures swimming in the milk. I threw that lot away and filled another bowl only to find the same thing. We keep the cereals in an airtight glass container and on giving it a good shake we found more climbing around the flakes. We searched the cupboard and shelves to look for any but found none.

We always on opening a new box put the contents into an airtight container which is always washed out between fillings So where are they coming from, is it remotely possible that they are there when packed in the factory and I’m quite happy to accept that despite our cleanliness they get in at our house even though no sign of them anywhere outside of the container. Is it more common than I realise.

It used to be a regular thing when I lived in NIgeria, but here in Thailand it's only happened once, when I found them in muesli that was in a sealed ziploc bag. I have an excellent pest control guy and never, ever see any bugs in the kitchen, so I assumed they must already have been in the bag of muesli when I bought it from Makro. So I think the above explanation by @britmantoo is probably right.

Similar to other pantry pests, granary and rice weevils will infest and feed on whole grains and rice as well as nuts, beans, cereals, seeds, corn, and other such foods.

But unlike beetles that live and feed on foods, these weevils actually live and feed inside the food. The female chews a hole into a seed or grain kernel and deposits an egg inside, then seals up the opening, leaving the egg behind. When the egg hatches (inside the grain/seed), the larva feeds on the meat inside until it is fully grown.

Once fully grown, the adult weevil eats its way out of the grain/seed.

Read more here.

• Like 1

The OP's post brings back happy memories of the time I lived in Livingstone, Zambia, many years ago.  My morning cereal was always something called Maltabella, which I used to enjoy.  One day, I discovered my "house boy" running the fine-grained cereal through a sieve, and asked him why. He was separating the weevils out, he told me. Finally, I found out that weevils were cooked into our bread also, and used to spend time picking them out of the slices, very fastidiously, before I ate the bread. 

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Microwave your cereal.

The creatures will still be there but you won't notice them if they're dead.

They're in factory packed eggs that come with the cereal, sometimes they hatch while still on the shop shelf.

On the positive side, at least you know your cereal isn't full of pesticide.

you still see their little black heads, especially because your eyes are scotoma'd to look out for them. 

I thought at least they'd float after the cooking... alas Not (all of them)  

15 minutes ago, Guderian said:

It used to be a regular thing when I lived in NIgeria, but here in Thailand it's only happened once, when I found them in muesli that was in a sealed ziploc bag. I have an excellent pest control guy and never, ever see any bugs in the kitchen, so I assumed they must already have been in the bag of muesli when I bought it from Makro. So I think the above explanation by @britmantoo is probably right.

they were already in the nuts etc, well before the Muesli was packaged... 

it is even worse when one opens a new pack of Sunflower Seed (still in the shell) 

these evil little geniuses

Image result for cereal moth gif 

flywire is useless to keep them out of the house, they are 'that' small

and these are what eventually crawl their way out... to start the cycle over again... image.jpeg.ffb050710fb719cab5371c8a17f59685.jpeg  

ps... the only useful thing about them, is that your Goldfish LOVE them

Edited by tifino

Is that what those things are...I bought 3 slightly out of date packs of sage & onion stuffing because they were on offer. I thought how can dust go off ????

Didn't use them for a while and actually gave one to a mate. Next day he sent me a video of these things crawling around in the sealed packet.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Microwave your cereal.

The creatures will still be there but you won't notice them if they're dead.

They're in factory packed eggs that come with the cereal, sometimes they hatch while still on the shop shelf.

On the positive side, at least you know your cereal isn't full of pesticide.

Plus you’re getting extra protein !!!

Most creals are vacuum filled and really don't have an issue until opened, unfortunately we have humidity in Thailand and cereals will in effect rot etc.

I found the best way is to double bag them and keep in the refridgerator, than never a problem...best Paul

Edited by Paul DS

37 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

They usually come into the house in rice and then spread to other cereals and noodles. Ants are equally as bad and just as small. Nothing to do other than trace the infestation throw everything out and use insecticide. Spray companies help

Or just eat it regardless. Bugs aren't going to hurt you.

My wife, the genius, does this:

Simply put the food with the insects in it, over a low heat (on a flat pan, or anything metal and flat).

The offending insects will simply crawl away to get away from the heat!

Then eat your insect-free food!

Wheevils and their larvae are actually safe to eat. If you don’t like seeing them walking or moving, microwave first as someone already said.

In the great Age of Sail and exploration, the British, French, Dutch and others used to get wheevils and other bugs in their food on ship all the time. Especially in the ship crackers. “Cracker Wheevils”. 

They simply would eat them with the food. They’re not poisonous.    Creepy but harmless. A bit of extra protein. 

4 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Take some advice from Russel Crowe in Master & Commander -. Eat the smallest one.    You should always choose the lesser of two weevils.

I remember on hunting and fishing camping trips with father and grandfather in northern Ontario, Canada as a kid and into my teens. Rifles and fishing rods.

We would catch fish out on the lakes. Clean the fish for meals and find the flesh of the fish full of tiny black wiggly worms. 

We simply fried them well done, cooked thoroughly all the way through and ate them sprinkled with lemon juice. 

Quite delicious and never got sick... never got infected. 

We always did it that way. I always went back for seconds and thirds.  

Thoroughly cooked all the way through is key. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Similar to other pantry pests, granary and rice weevils will infest and feed on whole grains and rice as well as nuts, beans, cereals, seeds, corn, and other such foods.

But unlike beetles that live and feed on foods, these weevils actually live and feed inside the food. The female chews a hole into a seed or grain kernel and deposits an egg inside, then seals up the opening, leaving the egg behind. When the egg hatches (inside the grain/seed), the larva feeds on the meat inside until it is fully grown.

Once fully grown, the adult weevil eats its way out of the grain/seed.

Read more here.

Well said. You beat me to the punch.As a pest exterminator I get a lot of calls for this problem.All you can do is throw the food out. Weevils  can also be found in flour, gravy mix  biscuits, cake mix etc.

12 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

My wife, the genius, does this:

Simply put the food with the insects in it, over a low heat (on a flat pan, or anything metal and flat).

The offending insects will simply crawl away to get away from the heat!

Then eat your insect-free food!

Or in the sunshine.