UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

25 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Just checked google flights and you can still book on either.

I think they will cancel pretty quickly and will affect a LOT of people

The knock on effect of that happening OMB right down to the cleaners and then the som tam queen loses also

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It's already been happening we have had guest here wanting to stay longer because their flights were re arranged the longest we had was a 4 day delay

I know some people who were supposed to travel back to China, could not since they could not go home and their school and all restaurants were closed, so went to Hong Kong. After a week there they're back in Phuket now, due to leave in a few days since at home schools are starting again and restaurants etc are opening again.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Especially if you are going to Manchester, or anywhere north of London really.

This is significant to say the least.

The fallout will be biblical

I have an Emirates flight booked in to Manchester in May. Keeping my fingers crossed.  Also another flight from BKK to Budapest in the same month. 

• Confused 2

27 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I would really like to know the specific reasons why the UAE issued the ban.  I can't find anything by Googling, and that includes the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website.  I'd really like to see their reasons in black & white

I think it might be the fact that Thailand is allowing flights from China

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Before last week I naively believed Thailand officials were being fairly transparent and taking prudent measure but I now have serious doubts on both counts.

The COVID-19 stats have been pretty much static for the last week.  Something does not add up there at all.  Something is definitely up...especially when foreign governments start putting travel bans on the Kingdom.

I would really like to know the specific reasons why the UAE issued the ban.  I can't find anything by Googling, and that includes the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website.  I'd really like to see their reasons in black & white.

Official statements from Thai officials and bureaucrats are now sounding more and more like the "happy face" propaganda come from the CCP in China.

Like most politicians and bureaucrats the world over, money and power are more important than people's safety to them.  Thailand's economic survival depends on tourism and Chinese tourists are by far the largest demographic of tourism here, so I guess their attitude is to be expected.

Unfortunately, it's the Thai people and all of us expats who live here that will pay the ultimate price if things get out of control, and that seems to be happening in more and more places around the world in the last week or so.

Just thinking back a week or two ago when everybody here was pretending like this was no big deal...well, things seem to be changing very quickly now, and none of it sounds so good.  Not a real happy time, I guess you could say.

If you want the answers then you need to look to Israel and their travel ban. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ParkerN said:

Time to wheel out the minister again, to tell everyone that it'll be alright after Songkran because the heat'll blow the virus away.

I don't think Kuwait got the memo...

Perhaps he's planning to load everyone's Songkran water guns with disinfectant and wash the virus away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Talking with my wife after work yesterday, after they referred a Chinese woman with CV19 symptoms to another hospital.  She had a meeting/conference about the s_it show that transpired, and lack of/ no masks and hand sanitizer in hospitals.  I asked: don't hospitals keep a basic inventory (30 day and a contract) of basic consumables in the hospitals (eg. masks, hand santizer, alcohol... etc)?  Answer: No.  The price is too high.  Me: What are they doing about it darling?  Answer: They are working on it....

Thanks for the insight into the medical workflow conditions; it verified my decision was a good one

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Talking with my wife after work yesterday, after they referred a Chinese woman with CV19 symptoms to another hospital.  She had a meeting/conference about the s_it show that transpired, and lack of/ no masks and hand sanitizer in hospitals.  I asked: don't hospitals keep a basic inventory (30 day and a contract) of basic consumables in the hospitals (eg. masks, hand santizer, alcohol... etc)?  Answer: No.  The price is too high.  Me: What are they doing about it darling?  Answer: They are working on it....

In Thailand, they are always "working on it"  It might never actually get done but you can always be assured that they are working on it

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Hmm, that doesn't really sound like a very reliable story IMHO.  I mean, a doctor tells his staff to go home and wash???  That would not be the protocol in any hospital I've ever heard of any where in the world, including Thailand.

While I don't have the highest respect for politicians and bureaucrats in Thailand or anywhere else, I do respect doctors and hospital administrators associated with the Thai hospitals I've been to, and just can't imagine the scenario you described.

Besides, while I appreciate your taking the time to reply, how does that answer my question about documentation of the reasons for the UAE banning travel to Thailand?

Nonetheless, Thanks for posting ????

Perhaps they have heard sane kind of stories ?

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Hi, what about the thousands of tourists already in Thailand and due to go home ? Should they call their airline , example Emirates, to confirm ? Thousands travel with Emirates every day from Europe. 

We've checked in successfully at the moment.....

• Like 1

Two new cases of #COVID2019 have been reported in Thailand on Tuesday. Both of them are Thai nationals. One is a housewife who has no recent history of travel abroad. The other is a driver for foreign tourists.

Edited by Canuck1966
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

If Kuwait have suspended only a matter of hours before Qatar Oman Etihad Gulf Emirates follow suit

This could be fun lol

No it won't. I'm booked for April.????

Strangely, I just tried to book a golf buggy via BFS to take me through immigration but the service isn't available due to Covid-2019

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Haha 2