UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, not peer reviewed and was being touted as 'evidence' in at least one UK media stream over a month ago without gaining any traction. It uses 'IATA data' as well as '5 year-old Chinese cell phone network data' from China's answer to google to come up with their magical list of predictions for the 'current' situation. I thought it strange how Singapore Changi's much higher passenger throughput than Bangkok Suvarnabhumi's didn't seem to make Singapore the more risky venue whereas actual, real-world statistics confirm that Singapore is the more hazardous location.

Well, the point is that this particular study was published at the beginning of February, well before hot spots broke out in Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, and Taiwan.  This study accurately forecasted these place as being in the Top 5 most at risk countries, and they were right!  That's pretty impressive.  I mean, a few weeks ago who would have guessed that these places would be in the situation they are in right now?

The important takeaway to me is that Thailand is ranked #1 yet would seem to be an outlier.  But perhaps that just due to ineffective screening and detection within the Kingdom; something that is being acknowledged by the Ministry of Public Health right now.

Look, I know it's just a modelling study, but I think it may have been taken seriously by a number of nations and airlines who are currently putting restrictions on travel to/from Thailand.

I don't know this for a fact, but I still have no idea why Thailand has suddenly been put in the crosshairs by nations like the UAE and many others in the last week, and why new restrictions are being announced by airlines almost on a daily basis lately.

I've been trying to figure out for days now why UAE did that, and still can find no definitive answer.  There has to be a compelling reason why these restrictions are popping up, and so far this report, and the other one released by the World Health Organization (WHO) and prepared by the Imperial College of London, are pretty compelling, whether or no they are, as of yet, peer reviewed.  I mean the authors of these studies are not exactly "tin foil hat" people, but highly respected expert scientists.

Edited by WaveHunter

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, the point is that it was published at the beginning of February, before hot spots broke out in Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, and Taiwan.  So, it forecasted these place as being in the Top 5 in their list.  That's pretty impressive.  I mean, a few weeks ago who would have guessed that these places would be in the situation they are in right now?

The important takeaway to me is that Thailand is ranked #1 yet would seem to be an outlier.  But perhaps that just due to ineffective screening and detection within the Kingdom; something that is being acknowledged by the Ministry of Public Health right now.

Look, I know it's just a modelling study, but I think it may have been taken seriously by a number of nations and airlines who are currently putting restrictions on travel to/from Thailand.

I don't know this for a fact, but I still have no idea why Thailand has suddenly been put in the crosshairs by nations like the UAE and many others in the last week, and why new restrictions are being announced by airlines almost on a daily basis lately.

I've been trying to figure out for days now why UAE did that, and still can find no definitive answer. 

I think there a quite a few countries through the world have a deep mistrust in Thailand in the past and probably can’t understand the figures being released re the Coronavirus Numbers.

UAE are probably being cautious possibly hypocritical even as they have aircrew who stay overnight in BKK, flying in and out of Thailand and other infected areas on a daily basis.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And thus you can unequivocally state that the masses of Chinese tour groups are still coming. I see.

Now what on earth would 8 Chinese group tourists be doing a Jomtien Immigration? The answer is nothing because they weren't tourists. There's quite a lot of Chinese who, like the Russians-with-money that preceded them, have been buying condos and other properties in and around Pattaya for the best part of about 5 years already. So, just like you and other farangs, they live here and they go to Jomtien for 90-day reports and extensions of stay. Chances are they, like most farangs contributing to the perpetual negative narrative here, haven't been back home for a while.

Excellant post! Reality stated without any frills - Thank you!

Some, seem to grab this opportunity to spread misinformation and continue their Thai bashing unashamedly!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think there a quite a few countries through the world have a deep mistrust in Thailand in the past and probably can’t understand the figures being released re the Coronavirus Numbers.

UAE are probably being cautious possibly hypocritical even as they have aircrew who stay overnight in BKK, flying in and out of Thailand and other infected areas on a daily basis.

I dunno.  I would not underestimate any foreign nation for not having well-informed and objective scientists that can prudently interpret real world threats.

Furthermore, when the head of the Ministry of Public Health here in Thailand acknowledges they may have messed up, and then institutes a massive revamping of their screening and detection guidelines, and then starts a second round of aggressive screening and detection efforts in 8 provinces...I think there's something to be concerned about...not frightened or panicked, but concerned.

Edited by WaveHunter

Posts containing unattributed content have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And thus you can unequivocally state that the masses of Chinese tour groups are still coming. I see.

Now what on earth would 8 Chinese group tourists be doing a Jomtien Immigration? The answer is nothing because they weren't tourists. There's quite a lot of Chinese who, like the Russians-with-money that preceded them, have been buying condos and other properties in and around Pattaya for the best part of about 5 years already. So, just like you and other farangs, they live here and they go to Jomtien for 90-day reports and extensions of stay. Chances are they, like most farangs contributing to the perpetual negative narrative here, haven't been back home for a while.

Do you live in Jomtien?  I live in Pratumnak, and I can tell you that Chinese tour groups flock to the area.  Every night outside of my condo are rows of tour buses, all containing Chinese tourists staying at the hotel next door.  Eight tour groups would not at all be out of the question...right on my street, let alone the entire area!

You walk into a 7-11 here and sometimes a group of 20 or more Chinese tourist from a tour group will all be in the store at once, so many, you can't even walk in the door.  They are tourists...here today, gone tomorrow.

My condo is a high-end high rise.  We have a fair number of Russian, European, and Australian owners; hardly any Chinese owners.

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Do you live in Jomtien?  I live in Pratumnak, and I can tell you that Chinese tour groups flock to the area.  Every night outside of my condo are rows of tour buses, all containing Chinese tourists staying at the hotel next door.  Eight tour groups would not at all be out of the question...right on my street, let alone the entire area!

You walk into a 7-11 here and sometimes a group of 20 or more Chinese tourist from a tour group will all be in the store at once, so many, you can't even walk in the door.  They are tourists...here today, gone tomorrow.

My condo is a high-end high rise.  We have a fair number of Russian, European, and Australian owners; hardly any Chinese owners.

I thought China had banned Tour Groups, is this now or before the outbreak ?

14 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I thought China had banned Tour Groups, is this now or before the outbreak ?

Yes you are correct; I think the ban went into effect earlier this month or end of last month, I'm not sure.  I meant that Jomtien / Pratumnak is normally a haven for Chinese tourists, and it's not just a haven but a mad house.  I know they were there the last time I was there in mid-January, and what I described was going on then.  I have been up in Chiang Mai for the last couple of months.  Sorry, I should have made that clear.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the clarification and, falling short of a retraction, that superb bit of back pedaling.

Yeah. This is the feller that's posted page after page after page of accusations saying the Thai government puts out misinformation.  The cheek of it.

40,000 recovered now. Not a word about them. Claims he's well informed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

the Ministry for acknowledging that they may have messed up on original efforts at screening and detection,

Messed up? What was actually said was:

“Right now, we have reached a point where we are not certain if there are any new patients with COVID-19 or if we are simply unable to find them,” Department of Disease Control deputy director-general Dr Thanarak Plipat told media yesterday (Feb 21).

“So we have to work in a more aggressive way to identify possible infections as soon as possible,” he added.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/govt-steps-up-virus-testing-74949.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkyFax said:

Messed up? What was actually said was:

“Right now, we have reached a point where we are not certain if there are any new patients with COVID-19 or if we are simply unable to find them,” Department of Disease Control deputy director-general Dr Thanarak Plipat told media yesterday (Feb 21).

“So we have to work in a more aggressive way to identify possible infections as soon as possible,” he added.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/govt-steps-up-virus-testing-74949.php

The Ministry of Public Health also completely re-wrote their guidelines for screening and detection, in response to their concerns that the number of cases has remained unchanged for a couple of weeks

They've also now tightened screening criteria in 8 provinces popular with Chinese tourists, acknowledging that previous screening efforts may not have been effective.

And, they are in a second round of detection efforts in those provinces now.

You don't try to fix something that's not broken.  Yes, they messed up; there's no shame in that if they're making efforts to fix the problem, and there's nothing inappropriate about me putting it that way.

Too bad you didn't acknowledge those facts from your hasty googling intended only to prove me wrong.  And you have the nerve to accuse me of selective omissions LOL?  That's pretty funny...sad, but still funny!

Seriously, why don't you try to find something that is a meaningful and helpful contribution to this thread instead of this unhealthy desire just to prove me wrong with everything I say?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Sad 1

I posted a few pages back about the situation with Bahrain and gulf air for people travelling from Thailand. 

After the latest updated information on the Gulf website I went back to my local office in Saudi to check in person. 

We went through the information but again he told me that so long as my family had been in Thailand for longer than 14 days, subject to a medical check at Bangkok they were okay for travel, and would not be denied into Bahrain. 

I asked him if he was certain about this and he told me that there had been meetings with management about this. 

I have also been trying to phone the airline but it's impossible to get through. Then started contacting them on messenger which I recommend. They're quick to respond. 

This is what they said after I gave them the ticket information:

Please note that hotel accommodation request has been confirmed and it will be provided once you arrive at Bahrain International Airport.
You may proceed to Transfer Desk at the airport and Gulf Air staff will guide you. This will include visa for the stay (non- extendable), hotel accommodation, and transportation from and to the airport.
Thank You,

I then replied:

So can you confirm that as things stand regarding COVID 19, there will be no problem for entry into Bahrain?
On the Gulf air website there is a link to the IATA site covering immigration restrictions entering Bahrain that states;  any visitors from or nationals of Thailand, who have spent time there in the past 14 days will be denied entry into Bahrain.

They then replied:

Hello, 

At BAH international airport you will have to go for medical check which is held by ministry of health and according to the result our team will assist you with your transit details. 

regards

So I'm presuming that subject to a medical check on arrival in Bahrain they will be okay for entry, or the airline just doesn't want to admit that they're going to be stuck in transit for 11 hours. 

Don't see what else I can do now. Just have to wait and see what happens on the day I guess. 

7 hours ago, docspinoff said:

can see where you coming from .. but all the case;s you say could be avoided by looking left and look be fore you leap . dont put your self in harm's way ... i could go on but  you do have a choice > But how do you stop getting the virus ??  you could catch it by just having a cup a tea anywhere .. you have no control ... even if you dont go out and lock yourself in room , you could get it from your food cart man or lady or water delivery .. or so .  

Do you look left and right when you are sitting in a restaurant? Yes, many Thai drivers smashed many shop fronts, houses and people walking on pavements.

accident = an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally.

If you can move a car, you can get a Thai driving licence. The test is done in a compound. The result is that many idiots are on Thai roads.

Of course, you have choices in avoiding virus; 1) Make sure your immune system is in good order. 2) Avoid crowded places. 3) Cook your own food or eat from shops that cook your food hot as you order, and not from those that leave everything on display all day as many Thai restaurants do. 4) wash your hands after touching public objects, and before touching your mouth, nose, eyes, ears. 5) Avoid shaking hands if it is possible. You don't know how clean their hands are.

Are people fearful of catching the Corona virus or of death?

The death rate from Corona virus is very low. especially in comparison to the flu. Are you fearful of the flu? It kills more people than Corona virus.

Catching the Corona virus is possible but do you worry about catching other diseases?

The media is having a great time with the situation.