UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Your understanding is based on what?

Singapore Changi airport is around 8 x the transit hub that Suvarnabhumi. Keep in mind that most of them have never stayed in Singapore either.

But Singapore has been totally transparent about their cases and VERY detailed on contact mapping, PLUS has very stringent controls in place for quarantine. Thailand has ministers of Health and Tourism who, with out wishing to be disrespectful, have acted like 6 year olds. 

so one is a totally known quantity with clear and effective controls, the other is murky and wish washy to an extreme.

as an aside, kudos to the Thai Education minister, he at least announced some kind of controls over teachers parents and kids, even though anyone else is not subject to self quarantine 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

This could well be the reason that Kuwait has stopped flights to Thailand, they've just announced another case yesterday although not saying where its from https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200224-sitrep-35-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=1ac4218d_2

So they don't say where it is from but you presume Thailand.

So far nearly exclusively the cases are directly related to China, where it is dying down. On top of it, the virus is having less impact than a common flu, and the people dying from it are having other issues and in nearly all cases 75+ years old. This will be over before you know it.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

We've checked in successfully at the moment.....

I just tried to check in online for my trip tomorrow to Europe via Dubai and was able to complete the check in only for the Dubai-Europe leg. For the BKK-DXB leg I was told to contact the check-in counter.

Maybe nothing but.....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Another reason to never go to these ghastly countries in the middle east. And come what may to never use their airlines.

Rooster

I have a couple of associates traveling today on Emirates from west Africa through to Malaysia and Singapore. Their online check-in indicated 20% pax load for the hop to Dubai and maybe only 45% for the onward flights to the fare east. No need to try and get an upgrade!

I am headed from the same point of origin on TAP to Amsterdam via Lisbon and Coach is full so I was upgraded to Business.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So does this mean the regular Emirates and Etihad flights between LHR and BKK, via UAE are suspended?

Emirates is still flying to Beijing and passengers who use Dubai as a transit are not checked at all.

They also have restrictions on Singapore now.

Qatar air has restrictions on flights from S-Korea and Iran.

IT's starting to get complicated. Why don't those united arab countries use the same restrictions?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Just checked google flights and you can still book on either.

I think they will cancel pretty quickly and will affect a LOT of people

They won`t cancel their services to Thailand 99,9% until there would be an explosion in infection cases like South Korea/ Italy. Kuwait Airways (and also Saudia) are extremely conservative compared to Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air. 

In any case it will be even worse to Thailand and especially BKK, as it`s also a famous destination for Arabs. I usually fly Qatar, but during my 2 times with Kuwait in Business Class all I can tell is, that it was filled up with Kuwaitis. And those people spend a lot of money when visiting Thailand.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So they don't say where it is from but you presume Thailand.

So far nearly exclusively the cases are directly related to China, where it is dying down. On top of it, the virus is having less impact than a common flu, and the people dying from it are having other issues and in nearly all cases 75+ years old. This will be over before you know it.

Many Arab flight companies are blocking destinations untill the end of April...so this isn't over before you know it....soon the European countries will start banning destinations i guess, so it's just started.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Another reason to never go to these ghastly countries in the middle east. And come what may to never use their airlines.

Rooster

I have always had good service on Emirates Airlines.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hobobo said:

For starters, they know that Thailand still welcomes the Chinese, from anywhere, with open arms...

Chinese tourism accounted for a third of Thailand's annual tourism revenue up until the baht started getting very strong, so they were already jittery about loosing Chinese visitors before the outbreak.

Now, that confirmed cases are here, Thailand has neither restricted Chinese tourists from entering the kingdom nor dropped its visa-on-arrival fee waiver, implemented to attract Chinese, and Thailand hasn’t imposed any bans on tourists or travellers since the outbreak of the virus...unless something has changed and I am missing something.

Something smells very bad about this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickymouse1 said:

Israel issued and enforced a total travel ban on Thailand. It is a well known fact the the MOSAD has a very strong link to their Thai counterparts and am certain there is a hidden truth that made Israel issue the ban.

This ^^

A number of the GCC countries are in full-on panic mode. Apart from Thailand there are bans on flights to Iran (apart from Tehran) and to Italy. Some are introducing quarantine for all returning from the Far East. Latest is that Bahrain stopped flights to Dubai!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Meanwhile; Thai officials let all Chinese tourist enter Thailand with open arms...

And where do you read this bit of information from? Thai & Chinese have been related in many ways long before tourists came along. Please post your open arms stories. 

• Thanks 1

One thing with the outbreaks in both South Korea and Italy, it can now give us a benchmark on trends, mortality rates and severity. 

Currently Italy has 231 confirmed with 7 deaths.

South Korea has 893 confirmed with 9 deaths.

Thats a very high death rate compared to the statistics that came out of China and of course death is the ultimate price paid for catching coronavirus, if your one of the unfortunate ones that becomes critical then you have a long stay in hospital with intensive treatment.

I'm keeping my eye on those two countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by Bkk Brian

What you sow you reap

This is really going to annoy the big boy  but had he closed the borders with & stopped any direct flights from & to  China for 6 weeks this would not have happened.

Many more countries will follow as the place still has many Chinese tourists flitting around.

(Not that they spend anything anyway)

• Like 1