UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

If Kuwait have suspended only a matter of hours before Qatar Oman Etihad Gulf Emirates follow suit

This could be fun lol

Due to fly back to UK on Sunday via Gulf Air. Not looking good....hope I can get away. 

When I arrived on 9th Feb,  only me and 3 others in the business class cabin from Bahrain to BKK. London to Bahrain was at least 2/3 full.

Due back here in May on EVA Air LHR-BKK. Already booked ????

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Maverell said:

So what do these countries know, that we don't, if they are banning travel to Thailand?

they are forgeting that about 14 have been discharged after treatment and are now negative so there must already be a cure but media does not want it known as they are enjoying the news that makes them money 

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So far nearly exclusively the cases are directly related to China, where it is dying down.

The only thing dying down is the acceleration rate of new infections,they are still getting new infections,but the numbers of new infections are just not accelerating as much.

9 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Well, I just got back from Chaeng Wattana immigration today to extend my 30 days. Thought it would be deserted with the dearth of tourists. Instead it was the most packed and busiest I ever saw it. I got there at 10:15AM and was number 244 with 147 people wait. Could not believe it, and when I got to section K, I saw why-probably 80% of the extenders were mainland Chinese (probably cornonavirus refugees). There were so many people there they had extra rows of plastic chairs for seating, they had more staff to handle Chinese language translation, and a pre-check table to look over the documents to handle the heavy work load. I got out at 2PM, plenty of time for infection to take place. If I contracted it today, I wouldn't be surprised.

The only health check they had was four staff checking for fevers in the entrance to the immigration section. Thankfully almost all the Chinese had masks on, and since they were extending, they have probably been asymptomatic for 30 days, so they are probably not infected. I imagine it must be like that every day there now since they have new measures in place there now to deal with it. If it is easy to spread in this climate, with the huge number of people working and passing through that giant building, building B is an epidemic waiting to happen.

Having not expected this, I had not mask or any kind of plan in place for it. I did leave and go downstairs for most of my wait. I recommend bringing a good mask (although it may do nothing in terms of protection from contracting it) if going into immigration for any business now and copious hand washing. Will be interesting when I fly out at the end of the March. Unless they clean them after every usage, that fingerprint scanner will be a petri dish.

Why didn't they offer you a mask? And was there any handgel available?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

it's humidity that keeps the virus alive.  Don't get confident because places like the  humid and warm BKK airport  are an ideal place for a respiratory virus.

not according to this pathology professor

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/coronavirus-expert-says-the-virus-will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

One thing with the outbreaks in both South Korea and Italy, it can now give us a benchmark on trends, mortality rates and severity. 

Currently Italy has 231 confirmed with 7 deaths.

South Korea has 893 confirmed with 9 deaths.

Thats a very high death rate compared to the statistics that came out of China and of course death is the ultimate price paid for catching coronavirus, if your one of the unfortunate ones that becomes critical then you have a long stay in hospital with intensive treatment.

You have to check the statistics from Italy in more detail:

for example: "At least three of the deceased had other serious health problems, and most were over 75"
https://www.thelocal.it/20200224/latest-deaths-coronavirus-italy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pchan25 said:

You have to check the statistics from Italy in more detail:

for example: "At least three of the deceased had other serious health problems, and most were over 75"
https://www.thelocal.it/20200224/latest-deaths-coronavirus-italy

Sure but that does not help the victims they still died and would not have done if they had not caught the virus. People over the age of 75 still have a life to live.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

One thing with the outbreaks in both South Korea and Italy, it can now give us a benchmark on trends, mortality rates and severity. 

Currently Italy has 231 confirmed with 7 deaths.

South Korea has 893 confirmed with 9 deaths.

Thats a very high death rate compared to the statistics that came out of China and of course death is the ultimate price paid for catching coronavirus, if your one of the unfortunate ones that becomes critical then you have a long stay in hospital with intensive treatment.

I'm keeping my eye on those two countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

From the figures in your link and the ones you quoted  the fatality rates are China 3.37%, Sth Korea 1.0% and Italy 3.03%.I'm failing to see the high death rate compared to China as both South Korea and Italy have a lower fatality rate than China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Sure but that does not help the victims they still died and would not have done if they had not caught the virus. People over the age of 75 still have a life to live.

Doubtful, they are even stating they contracted it but did not die from it.

• Haha 1

If I have read and listened to the news right. The vaccine is being worked on, but there

is not a cure out yet. The virus is still being assessed about how different it is from

what the initial estimates were. It is being spread in a few ways, it survives longer

than first estimates, unlike regular flus that you can get a shot to try prevent, the

Corona virus has no shot for, is everyone understanding this? I still see people comparing this new

virus to the other flus and viruses, wake up! This virus may not be as deadly as Ebola, but

it is still killing people, including doctors and nurses.

Geezer

• Like 2

Just now, Stargrazer9889 said:

If I have read and listened to the news right. The vaccine is being worked on, but there

is not a cure out yet. The virus is still being assessed about how different it is from

what the initial estimates were. It is being spread in a few ways, it survives longer

than first estimates, unlike regular flus that you can get a shot to try prevent, the

Corona virus has no shot for, is everyone understanding this? I still see people comparing this new

virus to the other flus and viruses, wake up! This virus may not be as deadly as Ebola, but

it is still killing people, including doctors and nurses.

Geezer

There are no cures for any viruses, a vaccination can prevent it or lessen the effects like the flu jab.

• Like 1