UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

From the figures in your link and the ones you quoted  the fatality rates are China 3.37%, Sth Korea 1.0% and Italy 3.03%.I'm failing to see the high death rate compared to China as both South Korea and Italy have a lower fatality rate than China.

Indeed I stand corrected however I'm not convinced by Chinese stats currently. Thats why I'm only looking at those two countries.

53 minutes ago, Lingba said:

they are telling us 34....maybe its really another number

I think it's fair to assume that it is far, far more than the 35 currently being reported as of this morning's update.  The fact that all statistics have not changed in over a week is very suspicious in how transparent government sources are being.

Though I have no definitive proof, it seems to me that the economic interests in preserving tourism revenues by still allowing and even encouraging Chinese tourism, is more important than the safety of those living in the Kingdom.  I mean, Chinese tourism accounts for around 1/3 of the annual tourism revenue here.

The lack of transparency that seems to be occurring here is not much different then what has been occuring in China as far as I can tell.

Oh wait!!!!  New numbers just came out!  I still think they are under-reporting but here they are, as of about 5 minutes ago:

1168658219_snapshot_2020-02-25at4_32_54PM.jpg.fd3c8378df7188d5ff9b5f5fd26600a1.jpg

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nothing, they're just panicking due to the number of Chinese visitors to Thjailand.

The panic and reactions by governments are simply due to overreaction by uninformed people on social media.

So why would governments "panic" due to "overreaction by uninformed people on social media."?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Indeed I stand corrected however I'm not convinced by Chinese stats currently. Thats why I'm only looking at those two countries.

I'm also watching them along with Iran which is reported to have as many as 50 deaths from 61 reported cases,now thats a high fatality rate. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Dont worry the new smart cars will be out getting those overstayers.....

I heard BMW is now building smart cars to catch Corona virus. Head up display and fully connected to internet with 6G. Thai military start saving for that one !!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Two words

VESTED INTEREST

You must be really hurting to post such tripe

Not at all, love it without Chinese. So someone disagrees with you, and you find it necessary to start a personal attack.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

One thing with the outbreaks in both South Korea and Italy, it can now give us a benchmark on trends, mortality rates and severity. 

Currently Italy has 231 confirmed with 7 deaths.

South Korea has 893 confirmed with 9 deaths.

Thats a very high death rate compared to the statistics that came out of China and of course death is the ultimate price paid for catching coronavirus, if your one of the unfortunate ones that becomes critical then you have a long stay in hospital with intensive treatment.

I'm keeping my eye on those two countries.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That's the way I see it to.  Singapore, South Korea, and Italy are much better benchmarks of the reality of this outbreak because the governments of these countries have been highly transparent right from the start, unlike China.

If you look at the numbers in these places and compare some of the statistics to China's reporting it's very obvious even on casual glance that China has got to be vastly under-reporting their number.  Some experts believe it may be by a factor of x3 to x10.  Those are unbelievably BIG numbers if true, not just accidental errors in calculation.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So does this mean the regular Emirates and Etihad flights between LHR and BKK, via UAE are suspended?

How do you come to that? The UAE has banned their own citizens from flying to Thailand. Emirates are even still flying to China (Beijing) although I believe they've suspended their flight to Singapore and Melbourne. But these things are changing daily. I'm due to fly back to Bangkok from Dubai on Sunday and it's anyone's guess what the situation will be then. It might be that I can stretch out on the plane, or there'll be no plane at all.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How do you come to that? The UAE has banned their own citizens from flying to Thailand. Emirates are even still flying to China (Beijing) although I believe they've suspended their flight to Singapore and Melbourne. But these things are changing daily. I'm due to fly back to Bangkok from Dubai on Sunday and it's anyone's guess what the situation will be then. It might be that I can stretch out on the plane, or there'll be no plane at all.

Emirates staff are Dubai based and I would think there would also be some UAE Pilots and Cabin Crew, what happens then, only the non UAE Staff can travel ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:
13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Emirates staff are Dubai based and I would think there would also be some UAE Pilots and Cabin Crew, what happens then, only the non UAE Staff can travel ?

I think you will find that very, very few Emirates flight staff are from the UAE. A very tiny number.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Them Russians dont give a S#it so Im recommending UK to Moscow to Phuket

The cheapest flight from Dublin to BBK is Aeroflot and the duration is as good as Emirates, Qatar or Etihad... the only problem is Aeroflot ... better than they used to be but still so lacking in comfort and other areas .. Used to travel to Moscow to see family posted there and I know. Still it’s there as an option if I need a cheapie Charlie... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Its a bit hypocritical to ban their own citizens from travelling when the Crew could be bringing coronavirus to the UAE as we know aircraft use a recycling ac system.

I understand where you are coming from but - and its only a guess, I would think that staff are told to self isolate when they have a stopover in an affected country - Thailand especially.

I believe both UAE airlines - Etihad and Emirates have quite severe financial problems at the moment. There will be strong resistance to an outright ban on flights.

Edited by KhaoYai

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I would really like to know the specific reasons why the UAE issued the ban.

They have people on the ground in Bangkok, I suspect this is a 'diplomatic warning shot'.

Note that they have not restricted arrivals from people who have been in Thailand inside the last couple of weeks - and that in itself is very telling.