would you go to krabi?

watgate

I booked a flight for myself and my thai wife a couple of months ago to go to Krabi for 4 nites starting on March 3. Now I am a little concerned about this corona virus and am wondering if I maybe should reconsider my going now. What would you do?

I have also booked for a week on the Andaman coast, by the end of March, and fully intend to go there, unless tourism is suspended by the authorities...which I doubt.

With no Chinese and barely any other foreign tourists, this should be a great step back to the Thailand of the 70s.

As for the virus, there is no more or less opportunity to catch it in one place rather than in another.

The fact is that no one knows what's going on, and in Thailand it doesn't help that the authorities are not exactly efficient, and that many Thais would rather die than seeing a doctor...

39 minutes ago, rwill said:

Don't live in fear. Go enjoy life while you can. People die from influenza everyday.  Have you ever altered your lifestyle because of it? 

Just want to add that I live in Ratchaburi.  Last week I stayed in Bangkok for a few days, even some time shopping in Yaowarat.  This weekend I am going to Ayutthaya.  A couple of weeks after that spending a week in Cha-am.

I do not wear a facemask.  I liked the fact that only sick people used to wear facemasks to protect others.  I thought it was a very considerate thing to do.  But now you never know if they are sick or not.

Very we'll...... No risk, no fun ????

Travel bans and flight cancellations seem to be spreading even faster than the virus, which would make me worry: Assuming that you get to Thailand, who can guarantee that you will be able to fly back home a few weeks later?

In the OP's case, it seems to be a short and probably domestic trip. That's quite a different scenario.

I would be far more worried about dying on the way to or from the airport in a car accident than I would be concerned about a virus with just over a 2% chance of killing you, should you even contract the disease (and then only if you are already old or infirm).

Stay at home, lock all your doors, wear a mask at all times and join all the others who seem to have no ability to understand the risks they run every day and how to keep a sense of proportion in their lives.

No verified cases in Krabi to date.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

In the OP's case, it seems to be a short and probably domestic trip. That's quite a different scenario.

Same for me...domestic trip...

Anyway, there is probably much less opportunity to catch the virus on a Southern beach than in the BTS in Bangkok, or in a shopping center in Pattaya...

• Like 2

I wouldn't go to Krabi period.

I went in 2004 right before the Tsunami & it was awesome. Chased the dream & went back in 2017 & found it was a cesspit. quadrupled in price. My Beachfront property is now gone replaced with 5000-8000 baht chalets with far less room & ambiance. Best go to either Samui or Koh Phanagen. If going to Koh Phanagen stay on the west side where places are 1000 baht & up right on the beach. Trust me Krabi is now the barrio of south Thailand. Ko Phanagen on the other hand was beautiful & people were real friendly compared to having paid an arm & a leg for a bathroom that leaked & when we complained they invited us to get.That is when we went to Koh Phanagen!

As for the virus chances are as good as getting bit by a Shark or getting hit by lightning.

• Sad 1

On 2/25/2020 at 6:12 AM, ianezy0 said:

Seeing as 50,000+ die each year from the flu I do not see a huge issue.

Just take the usual precautions, wear a mask when travelling and frequently wash your hands

Then enjoy the quiet bars and beaches.

TIP: Remove mask whilst swimming!

... and when brushing teeth. :wink:

Add a nought for flu deaths.