Video: One killed, four injured as woman driver cuts across 6 wheeler carrying workers in south

webfact

I am not being sexist but all of the major problems I have ever had here on Thai roads is from female drivers who just don't seem to grasp the necessity to either look left or right or to check their side or rear view mirrors before making a significant maneuver that could cause other road users a problem. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Unfortunately cutting across lanes with no indication or looking to see if it is safe to do so is very common here, on this occasion it turned fatal ! 

Although cliches: Drive defensively and expect the unexpected is the best advice you can take here , other than staying off the roads of course !!

Yes because, unfortunately, local folks have no concept of anticipation, parents, schools, universities don't teach anticipation and most driving schools also don't teach anticipation.

Seen it many times before in my extended family, one old 'aunty' has caused several similar accidents including death and injuries, she has no remorse, her attitude is solid 'not my problem to take care of other people' and she just refuses to check her mirrors, in fact none of her mirrors are adjusted to enable checking.

RIP to the deceased and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery for the injured.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Several of Thailands driving habits in one video. Look in the mirror, indicate, stop when involved in a crash? And a open truck carrying workers because a bus with seats and belts would cost too much. He should have braked and driven straight in the back of her without swerving. How come the govt and the LTD never understood what untrained drivers could accomplish.

It's all about the Care factor, ZERO

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The footage was posted by the worker's foreman who asked: "What kind of person would drive off after doing that?"

A heartless person with little or no driving experience.. 
a case of the typical driver going along with brain dis-engaged then thinks "Ohhh there's my turn" switches lane without looking then bang!!!!
But to drive off without stopping should be instant jail time!

8 hours ago, neverere said:

Terrible driving and so sad to see that someone died needlessly. Is it just me, or does it look like the truck driver should have reduced speed when the vehicle started encroaching in the outer lane ? This accident could have easily been avoided.

its just you, the truck had the right of way since he was the first in his lane,

she has to wait for her turn to enter the lane he occupy,

but she didnt

3 hours ago, Thailand Noobie said:

Looks also that 6 wheeler drive very fast and maybe trying to bypass from left side which is illegal. 

I blame both sides 6 wheeler 40% and car 60%

you havnt made any measurement that could enable you to to assess his speed, i.e bs.

there is nothing illegal about bypassing a driver in any other of the three lanes

that goes in this direction.

you dont know traffic regulations and thus arent fit to operate

a vehicle on public roads

Edited by brokenbone

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lorry travelling at what looks like high speed and undertakes on the left. This driver isn't totally innocent. Often accidents have errors from both sides

you dont have sufficient data to state at what speed he was driving,

on a road with three lanes in one direction you can overtake as long

as you arent cutting someone else already in that lane,

the truck made no error

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

The road is not four-lane, damn!
It is a normal road with, on each side, a narrow lane for two wheels and agricultural vehicles.

The road is a dual carriageway, 3 lanes in either direction, with a central reservation. There is a hard shoulder (often used as a bike lane) at the nearside.

The white car turned left from the centre lane, but should have moved to the nearside lane prior to reaching the junction.

• Like 1

If the Jazz was gonna turn left what was it doing in the fast ( 3rd ) lane.

The truck was in the middle lane minding his own business, the Jazz turned into his lane and slowed right down to turn left , the truck tried to avoid collision and unfortunately paid the price.

How anyone can blame the truck I don’t know  !!

IMO the truck wasn’t trying to undertake the Jazz, even though he has the right to do so, the Jazz slowed when she saw her turning and foolishly tried to turn left from the right lane !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is a normal road with, on each side, a narrow lane for two wheels and agricultural vehicles.

You do realize that we are looking at one half of the Asia Highway, divided by a median onto which the truck overturned.

There are two driving lanes and a smaller single lane for vehicles stopping or motor cycle riders. The other two lanes of this four lane highway are invisible in the video. 

• Like 1

If this is the case, because we do not see the other side,

Why the truck is on the middle lane; 

its place is on the left lane 

Now, I can understand why many members say or write it's the fault of the woman who is driving the white car .

It's effectively her fault ;

When we want to turn on our left we must drive on the left lane , not on the lane in the middle .

Thank you for the remark :jap:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

How anyone can blame the truck I don’t know  !!

I just answered;  because it is not visible on the video, I did not know that it is a road with twice three lanes;
But the driver of the truck is still at fault;
he is out of place and he is driving too fast;

we can see it well before the accident, the truck is dangerously close to the white car 

7 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i bet if one stood by the entrance on sukhumvit road to TESCO LOTUS you would see this more than once a day, they come flying along 3 lanes out, then it seems their brain clicks in, *oh i must go to TESCO,* then shoot across 3 lanes, i have personally had two near misses, recently and i hardly ever do this route. 

happens all up and down sukhumvit.....same when getting near Big C and Baan beyond.....(old Homeworks)

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Unfortunately cutting across lanes with no indication or looking to see if it is safe to do so is very common here, on this occasion it turned fatal ! 

Although cliches: Drive defensively and expect the unexpected is the best advice you can take here , other than staying off the roads of course !!

Very true. I did the RoSPA Defensive Driver course many years ago. Very useful here!

This cutting across lanes without any consideration of other traffic or signalling happens all the time.

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

If this is the case, because we do not see the other side,

Now, I can understand why many members say or write it's the fault of the woman who is driving the white car .

It's effectively her fault ;

When we want to turn on our left we must drive on the left lane , not on the lane in the middle .

Thank you for the remark :jap:

In Thailand it's legal on such roads to undertake if the vehicle in the outside lane is travelling more slowly. It's also mandatory to indicate before you change lanes in Thailand and every country I've ever driven in (including France). It's also mandatory to check your mirrors before changing lane. These rules are not only mandatory but essential if you want to live when driving in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I just answered;  because it is not visible on the video, I did not know that it is a road with twice three lanes;
But the driver of the truck is still at fault;
he is out of place and he is driving too fast;

we can see it well before the accident, the truck is dangerously close to the white car 

Have to disagree ATX, although the truck is in the middle lane and not the left lane we do not know what is ahead , could be a vehicle parked ?

As for him speeding, that could possibly be true but IMO appears so because she is slowing rapidly.

Either way he still  can be in that lane but she cannot make that manoeuvre .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

First of all, I owe you an apology. The highway appears to have 3 traveling lanes on each side, plus a small lane for motorcycles and emergency stopping. You were correct, the 6 wheel truck was traveling fast in the centre lane, the white Honda moved from the right hand (passing lane) into the centre lane oblivious of the truck close behind. IMHO opinion, the Honda driver was at fault for making a dangerous move and some blame may be attached to the truck driver and his driving ability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

Not only she does not immediately stop but keeps driving and does not even bother to attend, as others are seen running over to assist . Incredible and pathetic all at the same time 

Same same everyday - just drive on, not care a hell about a fellow citizen, seen it so many times - a dead cold heart so many have here.

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

If you want to turn left, you slow down on the only lane before doing so and wait until the vehicles coming in front of you are no longer there.

I repeat and buy you glasses if you see badly, the driver of the truck is 100% at fault.
He is behind, so he must adjust his speed according to a lot of criteria including, for example, a stationary obstacle in his lane.

No, it's not. Unless we now drive on the right hand side of the road. It is multi lane.

1 hour ago, fraggleRock said:
1 hour ago, BestB said:

Not only she does not immediately stop but keeps driving and does not even bother to attend, as others are seen running over to assist . Incredible and pathetic all at the same time 

Same same everyday - just drive on, not care a hell about a fellow citizen, seen it so many times - a dead cold heart so many have here.

I'm certainly not commending the lady on any of her behavior or driving habits.  But there was little to be gained, and a lot to lose by her sticking around.  The western requirement for stopping for an accident is predicated on a culture that doesn't condone vigilante justice, with a functional police force that can be counted on to actually do their jobs. 

Had she stayed at the scene the rescue efforts would have been hampered by the need to protect her from the mob that came off the truck, and bystanders.   That's why it's common and accepted in Thailand to leave the scene and report to the police within 24 hours.  Else she may have been another victim, and the rescue operation could have turned into a circus.  If she were my loved one, I'd advise her to do exactly the same.

Edit:  Except for the part about obliviously decelerating and drifting over a lane...  But let's face it, had it not been for the CCTV, the truck driver would be getting called out for (just about) rear ending someone.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I would like you to watch the video several times, which I did; because for me the driver of the white vehicle commits no fault;

on the other hand, the driver of the truck commits several;
firstly he carries personnel in his bucket, which is prohibited
and secondly, he is traveling far too fast and therefore cannot avoid the vehicle which slows down to turn left.

reread the traffic codes of your different countries.

It does not matter whether the driver of the vehicle has set his direction indicator or not.
The driver of the truck is totally at fault;

he must, in all circumstances, be the master of his vehicle which clearly has not been the case.

heed your own advice and go back to traffic school before you show your face on a public road, its called right of way, and the truck has right of way in the lane he occupy,

she is prohibited from cutting his lane, she must wait until he passed before she can

switch lane.

secondly you have no data for your hypothesis that he was traveling too fast,

she can slow down all she want, but that doesnt somehow give her right of way to cut him off. even if she had been ar$ed with indicating her intention,

it still dont give her right of way to enter his lane before he has passed,

she has to wait, period.

what happened here is that she didnt position herself in a timely manner

to leave the highway, most likely she got a whim to leave he highway,

she got an impulse to leave the highway and followed

that impulse without checking if conditions was clear to do so

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1