Video: One killed, four injured as woman driver cuts across 6 wheeler carrying workers in south

webfact

Should have rammed straight through her simple as. 

Hopefully an extensive stretch will give her something to think about. In 42 years of driving I've never seen a female that can drive properly anywhere

Edited by Chivas

4 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

according to international traffic laws, she is not at fault.

it is the truck driver's fault. it is allways the responsibility of the driver

who drived behind to keep a safe distance. safe distance means a distance

that will allow stopping the car without any notice from the driver ahead, in

case she had to stop suddenly.

but in thailand the laws are being implemented according to the "mood" around

the case.

that only apply in the same lane, this was not the same lane,

its a separate lane and she has no business in his lane until

its clear to enter

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Does it matter ?

Using your indicator is only giving others warning of your intention.

It doesn’t give you the right to go ahead because you have your indicator on, although many driving here believe that to be the case !!

( to the person I quoted: I know you might not have meant that I just wanted to get that rant off my chest ????).

you are in any case entirely correct in your observations

21 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I would like you to watch the video several times, which I did; because for me the driver of the white vehicle commits no fault;

on the other hand, the driver of the truck commits several;
firstly he carries personnel in his bucket, which is prohibited
and secondly, he is traveling far too fast and therefore cannot avoid the vehicle which slows down to turn left.

reread the traffic codes of your different countries.

It does not matter whether the driver of the vehicle has set his direction indicator or not.
The driver of the truck is totally at fault;

he must, in all circumstances, be the master of his vehicle which clearly has not been the case.

Quote: The driver of the truck is totally at fault.

I have to disagree with your statement. You have to read the Land Traffic Act B.E. 2522 again. 

Under section 33 - 36 you will find what the driver of the white car has made wrong. 

Under section 45-B you will find that the lorry driver was in the right to undertake on the left-hand side.

The traffic rules of Thailand may differentiate from your home country but it makes these rules not wrong. You have to adopt to it.

I'll agree with your statement about the control of the vehicle. Situations like these you will see many times here, they all try to swerve to avoid an accident. With his lorry I would have T-boned her and the rest would be a case for the insurance. 

inbound543472788863538708.pdf

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

“Pol Lt-Col Suthep Chunpradap charged her with negligent driving causing death and damage, fleeing the scene of an accident and not offering help and assistance. 

She denies all this and intends to fight the case in court. “

Don’t think she has a chance personally, blatantly in the wrong !!

Depends on who she is or whom she knows or how much she can put in a brown envelope

On 2/25/2020 at 3:33 PM, scorecard said:

Yes because, unfortunately, local folks have no concept of anticipation, parents, schools, universities don't teach anticipation and most driving schools also don't teach anticipation.

Seen it many times before in my extended family, one old 'aunty' has caused several similar accidents including death and injuries, she has no remorse, her attitude is solid 'not my problem to take care of other people' and she just refuses to check her mirrors, in fact none of her mirrors are adjusted to enable checking.

RIP to the deceased and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery for the injured.

Ah yes; the sick Auntie !

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Does it matter ?

Using your indicator is only giving others warning of your intention.

It doesn’t give you the right to go ahead because you have your indicator on, although many driving here believe that to be the case !!

( to the person I quoted: I know you might not have meant that I just wanted to get that rant off my chest ????).

It matters because if the truck driver were alert he could have avoided the situation.  I never said signalling gives a person the right.  Here in the USA every day when I drive, I see people signalling as they turn which all that does is tell me what they are doing, not what they might be doing.  The accident reminds me of the "hit the deer" lecture we would get when we went to one of the more remote Air Force Bases.  The roads are winding, or in some cases straight but with some sheer very steep drop offs on the side.  So if you see a deer suddenly in the road, just apply the brakes and prepare for impact.  Do not try to swerve wildly to the left or the right.  All that panic move may do is drive you over a cliff or onto the other lane and oncoming traffic.  Had the truck just slowed it would have been a fairly benign accident

10 hours ago, smedly said:

I stand corrected reading the traffic act it does seem to have that clause in there - how crazy is that

All it does is add to the careless carnage on the roads

but makes no difference to the current discussion 

In fact, it is quite legal in many countries. Not just Thailand. The USA for one. It is completely legal and normal in all 50 states.  If you can't handle traffic passing you on both sides on a multilane highway, please just don't drive here.  You are a danger to yourself and others. As a driver, you are always responsible to clear the lane on either side that you are moving into before changing. Believing that someone on your left is required to be going slower than you is dangerous and stupid. It is neither the law here in Thailand nor in many developed countries. If it is a rule where you come from, good for you, but leave that belief in your home country where it belongs.

That said, the Jazz owner clearly failed to clear the lane she was moving into before beginning her maneuver. It was 100% entirely her fault. Beyond that, you are not allowed to turn left from any lane other than the leftmost lane unless otherwise indicated, and that generally means you have to be in the left lane for around 100 meters before turning. Strike 2. Finally, she failed to stop after causing an accident. Strike 3.

I can't imagine what her lawyer is going to say other than "apologize and pay up quickly".

Edit:  Actually I am wrong. It is not legal in all 50 states. There are some that are more restrictive and don't allow it. A good resource here:  http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Edited by Monomial

6 hours ago, Monomial said:

If you can't handle traffic passing you on both sides on a multilane highway, please just don't drive here.  You are a danger to yourself and others

been driving here 15 years travelled almost 100,000km in Thailand and surrounding countries - in my home country I am a qualified driving instructor - never had an accident on a public road all my life and have done some motor sport in my time

This undertaking law in Thailand is very key to the carnage and mayhem seen on Thai roads - do I undertake ? yes - but I do it safely on a vehicle that allows me to own the road, some of the cam video I have seen and also what I have witnessed myself during my travels - the driving is quite horrendous, no surprise when Thailand is probably the worst in the world for road accidents and deaths - part of the problem is complete lack of law enforcement 

yearly deaths on the roads in the UK are about 1800 and in Thailand it is almost twice that per month

Bus accidents in the UK maybe two a year worth reporting - Thailand - almost daily and those are the ones reported 

Run along and lecture someone else - with all due respect

Edited by smedly

On 2/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, Dmaxdan said:
On 2/25/2020 at 9:17 AM, webfact said:

She is called Angkhana. No charges have yet been made after she called for her lawyer before giving evidence.

Pathetic! A real person would view the footage, know they were at fault and then admit full responsibility. 

Don't insurance companies tell policy-holders never to admit responsibility?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:09 PM, brokenbone said:

you havnt made any measurement that could enable you to to assess his speed, i.e bs.

there is nothing illegal about bypassing a driver in any other of the three lanes

that goes in this direction.

you dont know traffic regulations and thus arent fit to operate

a vehicle on public roads

Yep, you know everything and you're my hero

• Like 1