Health minister Anutin urges stricter DUI penalties starting at Songkran

webfact

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Answer : STOP the Police collecting Money, opver the limilt, back to the station mfor a second check if still over on a properly maintained machine, then the next day COURT who issue the fine and or disqualification . Police responsible for safety of vehicle after the event . Do away with the POLICE collecting money ..problem solved the BIG problem in Thailand is the POLICE !

That's the idea, now why haven't they taken that on board? ???? Mmmmmm!

56 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I'm ure the ratio of police to citizen's is much higher in Australia than Thailand. Having said that, police are much more active in pursuing drunk drivers and other offenders. I may have been stopped 2-3 times in 20 years in Thailand - hardly ever see police, and never breathalised. 

I personally believe the cops are lazy here, real cops care, these guys don't, simple maths to me, that is the way I see it, I mean how can you let people go for an offence, fine them, jail them, reduce the deaths, injuries, sufferings to others, the victims, real cops care as I said above.

4 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Only

No , they get breathalysed after an accident.

Yes, by accident.  What percentage will be caught then do you think?  25 years to thirty percent of people don’t have driving licenses, and that number stays consistent.  Without an active police force, it will matter very little 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Drivers like cabbies already face very strict regulations dealt with by the DLT, he said. Licences are suspended on a first offence and on a second transgression they are taken away entirely.

So they can drink & drive but are not dealt with by the police or courts...  only by their employer, very bizarre indeed!

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I think this is the most intelligent comment he has ever made,

Yes,Thailand needs to take a much tougher stance on DUI,its

the only way to try and curb the numbers of drivers who think

its OK to drink and drive.

regards Worgeordie

Just means BIB will be able to put more in their pockets. This will not change the mentality of Thais.

Edited by dinsdale

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For the life of me I cannot understand why at these roadblocks, road side checks they only look at registration labels and wave you on.

They rarely check if you have a licence, let alone look inside to see who is driving.

I have been coming to Thailand since 2005 and have NEVER had a breathalyzer carried out on me and I am on the road daily and have driven all over Thailand.

Back in Sydney, same day I arrived, had a breathalyzer carried out on me, in the 11 days I was there recently, I was breathalyzed 3 times, morning, midday and evening, different days of course, just goes to show who is serious and who is not, who have a real police force and who doesn't.

Same time every year another brainstorm suggestion by a minister with no balls to justify he is considering doing something, but nothing comes of it because the guys down below aren't interested and don't fear the boys up top.

Totally agree, if Thailand police policed roads like Aussie police, think half drivers here be off road.

In South Australia many POLICE PATROLS out day and night.

Police are always seen on road, here never see police cars stopping drivers.

Get a real traffic police force and decent laws and things might change. Impound cars or unlicensed, due drivers  and unregistered cars, 500 baht a day impound fees.

Things change quickly once news spreads.

Any way pigs will fly.

????????????

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, 4MyEgo said:

For the life of me I cannot understand why at these roadblocks, road side checks they only look at registration labels and wave you on.

They rarely check if you have a licence, let alone look inside to see who is driving.

I have been coming to Thailand since 2005 and have NEVER had a breathalyzer carried out on me and I am on the road daily and have driven all over Thailand.

Back in Sydney, same day I arrived, had a breathalyzer carried out on me, in the 11 days I was there recently, I was breathalyzed 3 times, morning, midday and evening, different days of course, just goes to show who is serious and who is not, who have a real police force and who doesn't.

Same time every year another brainstorm suggestion by a minister with no balls to justify he is considering doing something, but nothing comes of it because the guys down below aren't interested and don't fear the boys up top.

stopped for sobriety test four times in 11 days!??!! What reasons were given for you being stopped? What probable cause? Your PAPERS please!?

sure thailand has an issue with drunk driving but just how to legitimately justify four stops in 11 days in a 1st world nanny state? oops did I say nanny state?

21 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I personally believe the cops are lazy here, real cops care, these guys don't, simple maths to me, that is the way I see it, I mean how can you let people go for an offence, fine them, jail them, reduce the deaths, injuries, sufferings to others, the victims, real cops care as I said above.

At the heart of the problem is the culture, and at the heart of the problem in culture is Buddhsim. There's a reason why Buddhism is protected in Thailand, and that has a lot to do with how Buddhism was marketed - over centuries. The same as all religions and all countries. It's a fake, a placebo.

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

stopped for sobriety test four times in 11 days!??!! What reasons were given for you being stopped? What probable cause? Your PAPERS please!?

sure thailand has an issue with drunk driving but just how to legitimately justify four stops in 11 days in a 1st world nanny state? oops did I say nanny state?

Yes you did, as do many expats who know better that the countries they flee from.

It's a problem of being in touch with the population as a whole and not just oneself..

1 hour ago, glennb6 said:

I wouldn't mind getting stopped "daily" if need be, it would show that they are out and doing their job, catching DUI drivers, and potentially saving lives.