Best SIM for 6 weeks travel?

dastott

Will be traveling in the southern islands for 6 weeks soon, and need to buy my first Thai SIM. Can anyone recommend a suitable SIM package? Need a telephone number and some data for light usage (browsing but not streaming videos or music). Heard that AIS has the best coverage off the beaten track but have no preference for any network. Plan to buy in the Asoke area of Bangkok before heading south. Thanks for any help.

All networks offer unlimited data capped at 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s) for 200 baht per month, plus perhaps 50 baht for the SIM.

Truemove H and DTAC also offer unlimited calls to all networks for another 50 baht per month. Truemove H offering unlimited use of WiFi HotSpots in addition.

Go to an official service centre of your choice to avail yourself of these offers.

16 hours ago, Grusa said:

In my experience, AIS has the worst coverage out of "civilisation", DTAC has the best. Or, if your phone has an eSim, roam at will!

Others will have the opposite experience. So not helpful. Especially if you live in Sattahip and he is touring the Southern islands.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:49 AM, Eindhoven said:

All networks offer unlimited data capped at 10 Mbps(1.25 MB/s) for 200 baht per month, plus perhaps 50 baht for the SIM.

So how can I add that to an existing truemove sim ??

Do you have a short code please ??

OP here. Many thanks again. I signed up for 4 weeks unlimited data SIM with AIS in Bangkok. Working perfectly down here in the south. Can renew the 4 weeks unlimited data at an AIS center or Family Mart before the expiry date.

4 hours ago, dastott said:

OP here. Many thanks again. I signed up for 4 weeks unlimited data SIM with AIS in Bangkok. Working perfectly down here in the south. Can renew the 4 weeks unlimited data at an AIS center or Family Mart before the expiry date.

What is "4 weeks unlimited data SIM"? Any relation to the 200 baht 30 day package 10 Mbps suggested here?

On 3/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, dastott said:

Working perfectly down here in the south.

tell us what you are seeing down there. any thermal imaging check points? what was the airports like?

are you seeing large numbers of tourists? where would you say they are from?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 11:35 AM, Eindhoven said:

In that case you don't need to go anywhere to renew the package. Just make sure that you have a credit balance of 200 baht on the renewal date and the package will auto-renew. 

Sorry to trouble you again. I have topped up another 200 baht as advised to extend the monthly unlimited  200 baht internet package. Do I need to choose the same package again from the list of packages in the AIS app, or will my current package just extend for another one with no action from me? Thank you.

Edited by dastott

39 minutes ago, dastott said:

Sorry to trouble you again. I have topped up another 200 baht as advised to extend the monthly unlimited  200 baht internet package. Do I need to choose the same package again from the list of packages in the AIS app, or will my current package just extend for another one with no action from me? Thank you.

That one.

• Thanks 1