Deposit

splodger

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Make a complaint with the police. You should have recorded her stating that she didn't have money, as when the police get involved she will change the story to your having damaged the property.

It's a civil matter, police won't get involved.. The joys of renting in Thailand 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, madmen said:

It's a civil matter, police won't get involved.. The joys of renting in Thailand 

That is correct. There is absolutely nothing that can be done if they refuse to pay it. I have a 60,000 baht deposit, which is typical of rental contracts done through real estate agents.

The rental deposit is easy money for unscrupulous landlords. It's like taking candy from a baby. Usually when people leave, they have flights to catch and can't hang around waiting for money to be returned. If the landlord claims "no money", that's it. Walk away and save yourself a lot of frustration trying to get it back. Any legal proceedings would take months and cost at least 5x the deposit money (in the OPs case).

It's so bad in Thailand that its best to consider the deposit as an extra charge for renting. Think of it as key money. A senior judge at the Pattaya Provincial Court actually told me this. He had presided over my court case mediation session and I bumped into him at Big C a few days later and had a chat with him. He also told me never to trust lawyers. LOL. A judge telling me never to trust lawyers. Coincidentally I had just been screwed by a lawyer a few weeks earlier.

I've been lucky with deposits so far as my landlords were foreigners with whom I had a good relationship. Currently I rent through a reputable real estate agent and I'm pretty sure I will get it back. I won't rent from Thai people.

Edited by tropo