Thailand reports two new virus cases, bringing total to 37

webfact

Thailand reports two new virus cases, bringing total to 37

2020-02-03T021713Z_5_LYNXMPEG110J0_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-USA.JPG.b67cd492dfcf21cba858237cf7ec8688.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Test tube with Corona virus name label is seen in this illustration taken on January 29, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand confirmed two new cases of the coronavirus, a senior health official said, bringing the total infections in the country to 37.

Both of the new cases are Thai nationals, Sukhum Kanchanapimai, the health ministry’s permanent secretary told a news conference on Tuesday.

One patient is a female, 31, and has a family member with a history of traveling from China, Sukhum said adding that officials are investigating the rest of the family.

“The second, is a 29, male driver for Chinese tourists,” he added.

A total of 22 patients have been discharged and 15 are still being treated.

Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Shri Navaratnam

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-25
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Can you tell us where you got this "information" from? I really think that spreading rumors of this nature doesn't do anybody any good!

I do listen to international news from all around the world and read a few leading international newspapers (online), but I haven't heard or read of any authority throwing doubts on the Thai figures.

Does this help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think if one looks at other countries which have reported infections, there is an anomaly when comparing them with Thailand.

so of course there is no “evidence” of higher numbers, but common sense suggests that there is little reason for Thailand to differ from other countries in terms of infection rates. It’s hot here and cool or cold in some other countries, but as has been said in other threads, Singapore has a similar climate to Thailand.

but each is free to believe whatever they want.

I'd say there is indeed reason for the countries to differ: For example, in South Korean, a Christian cult who gather on top of each other infected each other, causing the numbers to skyrocket. In Japan, a stupid cruise ship not even really "in Japan," except legally, is responsible for the supposedly high numbers in Japan. Given Japan's larger population, the number of people infected in Japan is not much different than in Thailand, if one leaves out all the petri dish abuse victims on the stupid cruise ship, an environment which is not representative at all of reality in Japan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

What is going on in India - no mention of anything going on there and although I could be imagining there doesn't seem to be too many around Pattaya right now

India had three confirmed cases. All returnees from China.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/third-coronavirus-case-reported-from-india/articleshow/73895001.cms

They all have recovered. 

Edited by lovethai123

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“The second, is a 29, male driver for Chinese tourists,” he added.

Random Dude number 37... Oh well, next please.  Compare this with the thorough and comprehensive efforts by Singapore and even South Korea, its inconceivable to believe this isnt running rampant like crazy around here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

To be fair, it took them a week to test two people

They just wanted to be really really really sure. I'm sure the NIH clinic retested at least 100 times with fresh samples - maybe one of them would've been negative and phew, no confirmation. Alas, that was not to be.

Edited by DrTuner

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

Can you tell us where you got this "information" from? I really think that spreading rumors of this nature doesn't do anybody any good!

I do listen to international news from all around the world and read a few leading international newspapers (online), but I haven't heard or read of any authority throwing doubts on the Thai figures.

Isn't that obvious? You didn't read enough and cover all the ground. 

55 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

The "numbers" are meaningless.

What matters, as usual, are the details.

"Sukhum Kanchanapimai, permanent secretary for health, said the woman was a maid and was initially diagnosed with pneumonia of unknown cause. Later, doctors learned she had a relative who returned from China. She was now being treated at Rajavithi Hospital."

Voilà. They describe precisely... the huge scam that is going on.

"Doctor I don't feel good"

"Ok let's see... Ah  ! You have a pneumonia... of unknow cause"

"Ah really ? What does it mean ?"

"Nothing. Oh... I forgot : I'm ordered to NOT ASK you if you had any contact with China. Do you understand ? I DO NOT ASK YOU.

"Ok doctor. Then I won't answer".

????

Rince. Repeat.

No test. No case.

Again, difficult to blame Thailand... Because virtually every country in the freaking world is doing exactly the same (exception : South Korea.. and Italy to some extend).

Yeah, that's the method they use: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf

1) Patient with fever ≥37.5 °C with any of the following respiratory symptoms (cough, runny nose, sore throat, tachypnea, or shortness of breath, or difficult breathing) and within 14 days prior to symptom onset patient:

a. Has recently returned from or lived in the area affected by the outbreaks of COVID-19 (China) or;

b. Work or has occupation that close contact with tourists from the area affected by the outbreaks of COVID-19 or;

c. History of close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 infection

2) Patient with pneumonia of unknown etiology with history of close contact with a suspected case of COVID-19 infection

3) Health care personnel with pneumonia of unknown etiology

4) Patient with severe pneumonia of unknown etiology

If you just have a fever and symptoms but don't fulfill a-c, back to home with a bag of paracetamol you go.

Edited by DrTuner

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

There are also no countries saying Thailand is not a democracy.Do you believe Thailand is a democracy?The beauty  of belief is that it is not subject to truth people are free to believe what they want to believe.

Yes Thailand is a democracy .. a military one ! It has a democratically elected military government .. ????