Thailand reports two new virus cases, bringing total to 37

webfact

3 hours ago, AlsoJustCurious said:

What concerns me is that there's no mention of where these new cases are from. 

They probably have no clue lol. I remember some weeks ago that a Thai taxi driver in Bangkok was confirmed. If a Thai taxi driver had it in Bangkok, it should be everywhere at this point, and that was back in January if I'm not mistaken 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

+1. Whats wrong with all these extreme sarcastic and cynical ppl. It seems they are just waiting and hoping and praying for the worst for Thailand.

Until now Thailand has extreme low numbers, other WESTERN countries are having more numbers. Facts say Thailand is doing a good job in a very difficult situation.

It is time ppl who spread unfounded rumors should get a warning, temporary bann, and for all i care a home visit by Thai police.

A clear reminder that not all us Farang are smarter than average locals

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Reading this thread, I am stunned that some members here believe, with various excuses, that the Thai infection numbers are based on any sort of reality.

Thailand was, by far, the #1 vacation destination for the citizens of Wuhan, twice as popular as Japan. While other destinations took fast action to contain the spread, and banned flights from China, Thailand carried on as normal, anxious not to disrupt the peak Chinese New Year tourism season. Chinese are now using their continued access to Thailand as a backdoor into countries that have blocked flights from China. Some of those travelers passing through crowded terminals will, obviously, be infected.

The magical Thai method of preventing a rise in infections was to stop counting them. The downside of this clever hack is that you cannot contain the spread. Other countries are realizing that Thailand almost certainly has a larger outbreak than any country outside China. You will see them all starting to block flights from Thailand this week, just as the UAE has today.

Despite other excellent posts this is by far the most realistic post with best portion of common senses.

Precisely they just do not count them.

Before the criteria of being a PUI was that:

https://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-who-thailand-situation-report-17-february-2020

"• The Ministry has added to its definition of a Person Under Investigation (PUI) for COVID-19 infection, by including anybody who presents with fever and symptoms and with travel history to Japan and Singapore (in addition to mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taipei and environs) within 14 days prior to the onset of illness."

Everybody else which came in contact with tourists felled right through this screen.

The numbers declined - because travel is 80% down. No new case.

Now they changed that and the numbers of PUI rise again.

The other problem is (another poster described that phenomena precisely in many of his posts) that the testing and confirmation procedure is very slow. How many tests are pending is unknown since start of February correct me if I am wrong.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I think if one looks at other countries which have reported infections, there is an anomaly when comparing them with Thailand.

so of course there is no “evidence” of higher numbers, but common sense suggests that there is little reason for Thailand to differ from other countries in terms of infection rates. It’s hot here and cool or cold in some other countries, but as has been said in other threads, Singapore has a similar climate to Thailand.

but each is free to believe whatever they want.

Can we put this one to bed? Singapore and Hong Kong have an unhealthy (pun intended) fixation with aircon. Everywhere in HK at least is set at around 18c.

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

Reading this thread, I am stunned that some members here believe, with various excuses, that the Thai infection numbers are based on any sort of reality.

Thailand was, by far, the #1 vacation destination for the citizens of Wuhan, twice as popular as Japan.

No it isn't. HK, Macao and Taiwan are top three.

5 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

In a week's time you gonna say the same thing about the Italians?

You apparently don't have a sense of sarcasm...

The speaker's voice in my post was the Thai govt., not my personal view.

The "don't want any negative impacts" on the country remark was a paraphrase of the latest statement on CV by the PM.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The first Chinese doctor who warned of coronavirus, at the very beginning had been arrested by the Chinese police for fake news, he died of the virus since then and he became a national hero. (So China hasn't told the whole truth from the start)
I just saw on Aljazeera a deputy from an affected city in Iran who has just addressed the Iranian health minister saying that he was lying there are already at least 50 dead, the minister replied it's false if it were true I resign right away, then the city deputy gave the names of two little boys who have just died of the coronavirus and who are not named anywhere (So Iran does not say all the truth)
And with all the Chinese who have passed through Thailand since the start of the epidemic, only 37 cases in the country, but unlike the other two former, Thailand is telling the whole truth ... OK since we live here let's hope it true.

• Like 1

One patient is a female, 31, and has a family member with a history of traveling from China, Sukhum said adding that officials are investigating the rest of the family.

Quite a confusing write up. Was this women's family member who returned from China also infected beforehand, if not how did she get it from him / her? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, justin case said:

meantime in the rest of the world ... that don't get those massive chinese influx ....

Your out of the loop at present there is no massive chinese influx. A few around CM but defiantly no a massive influx

I now know why they keep saying  “ Amazing Thailand “ how many of us are Amazed that a country that has so many Chinese tourists has only 37 cases of which 15 have already been given a clean bill of health . The Chinese visitors in the villa next to mine and came for the New Year Celebrations are still here I have to conclude that they cannot get a flight back to their homeland .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rhyddid said:

Flu paranoia.

Expat solutions ?

Relocate to a country with low influx of Chinese, so you will feel safe, meantime we stay here and enjoy Thailand ???? !

Dont like it here get the fffff out of here and take your whining attitude with you. Go to Cambodia, lol. We STAY and ENJOY Thailand. ????

2 hours ago, rhyddid said:

Relocate to a country with low influx of Chinese, so you will feel safe, meantime we stay here and enjoy Thailand ???? !

Mmmm not that easy, but: https://www.sciencealert.com/if-an-extreme-global-pandemic-hits-these-are-the-safest-places-you-can-be

"The island nations of Australia (0.71) followed by New Zealand (0.68) and Iceland (0.64), appear most likely to have the features required to act as an effective refuge in the face of a catastrophic global pandemic, from which large-scale technological society can be successfully rebuilt," the authors write in their paper.

Aside from those three, all the other hypothetical island refuges in the top 20 scored less than 0.50, making Japan, Barbados, Cuba, Fiji, and Jamaica and many others ultimately less suitable for securing humanity's survival.

Barbados and Fiji sound alright though.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

No it isn't. HK, Macao and Taiwan are top three.

No. You did not take the time to read what I wrote before rushing to correct me. I said Wuhan.

You are referencing some list of top international destinations for China as a whole. China is a large country. Wuhan, the epicenter of this epidemic, is just one city, roughly in the center of the country (which, again, is large).

Whatever list you quickly googled, and which you did not bother to cite, would include the massive amount of traffic between to Hong Kong and Macao from the massive adjacent Guangdong province, and the other southern provinces, much of it by car, coach and train.

I am talking about the roughly 24m passengers out of Wuhan Tianhe Airport each year. From Wuhan, Thailand was the #1 destination, twice as popular as #2 Japan.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

Do not waste your time with "numbers".

Everything is fake. Biased. Truncated. Massaged. Smoked. Drugged.

There is only one real indicator. Impossible to fake.

-is your healthcare system coping or not ? Are your hospitals overflowing or not ?

That's the key point with this vicious and treacherous virus.

-if your healthcare system is holding : you are infected, they can treat you with proper equipment and staff ? They will save you (excepted old people with many pre conditions. No big deal)

-your hospitals are overwhelmed by cases ? So they put you inside a "triage location" : AKA a "converted stadium", or you must stay in your small appartment (compulsory quarantine) ? 

You are Fxxxx up. Game over. You'll die. Odds are against you.

This is what we saw in Wuhan.

Voilà. Plain and simple.

And it's easy to judge. Impossible to lie.

Meanwhile, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Edited by christophe75
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, robsamui said:

On 4th February all Thai hospitals were ordered to not update or continue reporting. This is an out of date screenshot from the Health Authority - the website and link are now inaccessible (which by itself is very suspicious . . . )

I have seen a figure of 1000 under investigation recently, probably the most relevant figure not being given out. Sadly it doesn't seem to get updated so we've no idea is falling (investigations completed) rising (new suspected cases) or how many have been/are being tested. I suspect very few wheras in other countries they do seem to be able to keep on top of the requirement for testing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Keep the Chinese coming!  Gotta have their cash... Don't want any "negative" impacts on the country....

Was always good at maths at school ... Thailand leaves open borders and takes largest amount of Chinese tourists ... Thailand’s registered contaminated the lowest globally ... chinese(x) + visits(v )= Contaminated (c)

7 minutes ago, Millcx said:

Was always good at maths at school ... Thailand leaves open borders and takes largest amount of Chinese tourists ... Thailand’s registered contaminated the lowest globally ... chinese(x) + visits(v )= Contaminated (c)

Cambodia has had one confirmed, one cured. I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw far more Chinese tourists than I'm currently seeing in Thailand. Going by your formula (which I agree with other than it should be x times v not x+v) Hun Sen is working a far more outrageous con than even Prayut.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1