Thailand reports two new virus cases, bringing total to 37

webfact

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

Where are you looking? Today's figures are here. https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

52   Report on February 24, 2020 No.52

51   Report on February 23, 2020 No.51

It seems before Feb 5, they used slow, low volume nCoV testing, and supplemented this with "panel tests" to scan for all common respiratory infections, to rule out nCoV? So they reported the number waiting in que for nCoV testing and listed various non-nC0V2019 diagnoses discovered.

After Feb 5, they are using faster PRC testing so there's no cue to report and no need to screen for common respiratory infections. That's all gone from the report. At least it all makes sense.

I talked to a medical friend who works at Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital. She said all suspicious cases are first isolated and then tested. They send the tests to Thailand's main virology lab in Nonthaburi. So is it possible practical Thai style screening is working?

OTH, I'm still suspicions of just 35 confirmed cases. The problem is the report does not state who was tested, one assumes all PUI. But that is what my friend said.

If there is one good thing about Under reporting or under diagnosing and there are a lot more cases that we know or are being told,  then the mortality rate is a lot lower than reported so far. 

I will never believe the magic numbers of Thailand as they were reached quite quickly,

then stopped. then 3 more and at last 2 more. Very suspicious, and about the

transperency, I expect to see from the Thai government departments. So, No I am not a believer or

supporter of any Thai government officials.

Geezer

28 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The Spanish flu disproportionately affected young individuals with a strong immune system via a cytokine storm. So, it's not always an advantage to have a strong immune system. Fortunately it seems to be the case with SARS-CoV-2. 

and this happened only after the Spanish flu mutated on its second loop around the world. The first year was more ordinary and many were saying no big deal. For nCoV there are already occasional reports of cytokine storms in younger people, presumably what is killing some of the younger doctors.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rabas said:

They send the tests to Thailand's main virology lab in Nonthaburi. So is it possible practical Thai style screening is working?

http://nih.dmsc.moph.go.th/indexeng.html

National Institute of Health,
Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health
88/7 Tiwanon rd. aumpur mung Nontabuti 11000

That's NIH. They can send all they want, but if the lab, owned by Ministry of Public Health, whose top dog is Anutin, isn't doing the actual testing -> no confirmations. Why else would they have deleted the backlog counter from the reports.

EDIT: do they send to Chula's lab too? It takes 2 labs to verify a confirmed case.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

http://nih.dmsc.moph.go.th/indexeng.html

That's NIH. They can send all they want, but if the lab, owned by Ministry of Public Health, whose top dog is Anutin, isn't doing the actual testing -> no confirmations. Why else would they have deleted the backlog counter from the reports.

I am assuming that moving from the early 4 days per test, low volume, to high volume 6 hour PCR tests meant there was no more backlog to report. At least that makes sense.

2 hours ago, unsubscribe said:

We can pretty much guarantee that our healthcare will be overwhelmed, but if 80% of infected experience mild symptoms and recover then that's a far cry from "Game over. You'll die. Odds are against you."

Well I thought it was obvious.... those 80 % (to be confirmed) are not the point !

What matters are the 20 % who need medical treatment...

With proper care (and a lot of work).... they can be saved... but with no proper care... Ciao.

You could say of course : 20 %... what's the deal ?

But if it's a real pandemic with dozens of millions of infected worldwide or even hundreds of millions... Those 20 % would definitely... leave a trace...

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

EDIT: do they send to Chula's lab too? It takes 2 labs to verify a confirmed case.

I think the two labs to confirm was in the beginning with full genome sequencing before Feb 4. They sent it to two experts to look at the actual gene codes. PCR would not need this. But I'm doing some assuming here.

There was a video from the lab where the head lady talked about implimenting the newer 6 hour tests, but I can't find that now.

Edited by rabas

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

How do you know the numbers are higher? Do you have any evidence of higher numbers? 

He didnt say that the numbers were higher merely that experts have noted that the currently stated cases seem very low in the circumstances.

Given the reported cases in sorounding countries and the restrictions now being imposed on visits to Thailand , its clear what narrative is at work.

Either by design ( not wishing to further damage tourism ) or by virtue of simply not testing enough people , the number of victims in all probability is vastly underestimated.

If this proves to be the case , and things spiral out of control , the authorities will face a world of pain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

1) I listen to scientist. Not DannyCarlton from TVF.

2) Becuase thailand motorbike/road accident and government hospital is not same, more poor people no money to buy good medicine eg survive cancer. Thai have stronger immune system. Sure.

3) “debunked on this thread”. Which post #number this thread? Who? And same 1). 

There are no poor people in Thailand. Thailand is a very rich country. If people have no money, they are just too lazy to work. And there's enough work to be found in Thailand since 100,000s of migrant workers from both Cambodia and Burma are working in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

If Thai people have such strong immune systems as you claim, then why do they need so many pills and medicines, check into hospitals when they get the flu and start dropping like flies when the temperature drops below 15 degrees?

Below 15??
Everything above 30 is "ronn", everything below 30 is "nau".

I would like to see that little thai (?) troll trying to survive just one West European winter (there wasn't any winter so far by the way. Temps are on spring level in the double digits here). If she does it - which I doubt - lets continue the next year. With a Russian winter.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

1) How can the British scientist know about thailand?

2) eg tourist always come get sick from Thai street food. Snowflake.

3) “I never lie”. Is lie. Everyone lie sometimes.

May be because he's a scientist. And yes, science is not limited to the country the scientist lives in.

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

False narrative.

Truth....

61AAC3D2-8B14-45AD-AAAC-36DCBE4383C1.png

Wrong for 2 reasons:
1. Medication is very cheap in Thailand. Thats completely different in the countries mentioned by the OECD here.

2. Did you ever hear the term "dietary supplement"? That huge market (esp. in the US) also counts to the spendings for pharmaceutical products.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

No, just anothe pack of lies from the Thai government.

Well, you call it lies (which is 100% true). But shouldn't we call it "alternative truth", this sounds much more positive and diplomatic.

Edited by Peterbilt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The UK government has not initiated a strategy of dishonest in respect to the Covid-19 crisis. It can be accused of  being slow to respond or disorganization, as was the rest of the world, but the fact is that the UK has initiated an appropriate response now and is  putting in place its quarantine preparations and is being truthful. Quite a difference form  some other countries.

Once again you post little charts which you do not understand. Why don't you make an effort to comprehend the data first? Your ignorance is very offensive and insulting. What part of  out of date information do you not understand? 2013 is 7 years ago.  Opioids and other prescribed narcotic use has come down significantly because of new control mechanisms. More importantly, the use of opioids is a critical component of advanced surgeries. Joint replacements  are painful and require pain management. Advanced critical care of  cancer and of palliative patients use large amounts of narcotics.  Thailand lets patients suffer in pain.  How about we look at  amphetamine use, you know <deleted> like yaba? thailand rules the world with its yaba addiction crises, so please don't play the holier than thou card here, because Thailand has more yaba junkies than  just about anywhere else in the world.

You have been repeatedly told that this chart is incorrect and   not indicative of the reality, and yet you persist on posting false information. Why do you insist on trying to  mislead people? Do you want to be known as a liar?

The information you have posted is INACCURATE.  Thailand is not prepared for an epidemic. Few countries are.  Thailand is crippled because it has;

1. inufficient intellectual capital in  terms of  qualified health professionals or research facilities.

2. Few isolation rooms and relies on open wards which are not appropriate for respiratory contagious  disease

3. No capability of producing proprietary medication or vaccine and instead must rely on other countries

4. Does not have sufficient  medical and diagnostic equipment to manage an epidemic

5. Does not have consistent hygiene standards, i.e. proper basic sanitation such as soap dispensers in washrooms

Your continued spewing of misleading information is repugnant and undercuts your credibility. More specifically your claims are  absolute rubbish;

Thailand has low numbers because

1) is hot  So what? The virus thrives in humid moderate temperature, i.e. the inadequately maintained  HVAC systems of Thailand's office buildings, shopping malls, airports and hospitals.

2) thai people have strong immune system. Not same snowflake.  Seriously? This is absolute garbage.  Thailand has its own set of endemic diseases that are chronic such as foot and hand mouth outbreaks, dengue, malaria, drug resistant sexually transmitted illnesses, parasite infections (e.g. liver flukes) and recurrent mass GI outbreaks due to poor food hygiene.  Don't make such a ridiculous claim. Every population has its specific immune responses and the sad fact is that because of the terrible air quality and  higher ambient pollution index, Thailand's population is more at risk for a respiratory illness than someone living in the English countryside. The English farmer does  use toxic pesticides  in the same manner as Thailand's farmer. School children in the UK do not inhale he poisonous air that poisons much of Thailand now.  

3)...(below). More prepared than high corona countrys Iran, Italy, Japan, South Korea

If you want to believe that lie, go right ahead. it obviously gives you comfort since it appears you are in denial. Thailand is an intellectual super power according to you and its people a nation of super immune people. Meanwhile the public health officials of the countries best able to withstand a serious infectious disease admit that they  cannot because they have inadequate respurces to  cope if 5-10% of their population contracts the infection. Yet here you are, the woman with advanced knowledge of publci health and health crisis management to reassure us that Thailand alone is best able to manage this crisis. 

I do recognize that thailand's government is managing the crisis, appropriately for Thailand. It knows it really cannot do much but  hope for help from other countries, so it  does not say anything. The Thai people after so many generations of being taught and trained to obey and not to ask questions obey. If they are not aware of a crisis, they need not worry and life can continue for now. As much as we foreigners  would like Thailand to do more, it most likely cannot and the current response keeps the population from panicking. Thais won't know what hists them until people start dying, much as occurred during the AIDS crisis of the 1980's. Thailand is gambling it will get the expertise,  treatments and vaccines from  the USA, EU, Canada Japan and Australia as it has for every other significant illness. Time will tell if the  Thai reliance on the  farangs for salvation  will work this time.

I think you misunderstand. 

He talk about medicine drug, not about illegal drug (Yaba).

And Thai die from corona= 0

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

OK, I found another video about Chula's lab testing the first 20+ cases with full genome sequencing, and talking about developing a Thai vaccine? This is not the PCR video.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

+1. Whats wrong with all these extreme sarcastic and cynical ppl. It seems they are just waiting and hoping and praying for the worst for Thailand.

Until now Thailand has extreme low numbers, other WESTERN countries are having more numbers. Facts say Thailand is doing a good job in a very difficult situation.

It is time ppl who spread unfounded rumors should get a warning, temporary bann, and for all i care a home visit by Thai police.

Yes a police visit similar to the doctor in Wuhan ( now deceased ) who tried to warn about the virus ?

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Thailand has low numbers because

1) is hot

2) thai people have strong immune system. Not same snowflake.

3)...(below). More prepared than high corona countrys Iran, Italy, Japan, South Korea778B7CDF-9455-4418-9700-ED27166C80CC.jpeg.be3b96aac5c0bc75c21617dc0ae44565.jpeg

Do you seriously believe the nonsense you have just written lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rabas said:

I am assuming that moving from the early 4 days per test, low volume, to high volume 6 hour PCR tests meant there was no more backlog to report. At least that makes sense.

Well ... NIH (the clue is in the URL, nat-inst-health) had the RT-PCR instructions on 23rd of January already: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/conventional-rt-pcr-followed-by-sequencing-for-detection-of-ncov-rirl-nat-inst-health-t.pdf?sfvrsn=42271c6d_4 . Would be surprised if they didn't use their own instructions.

• Thanks 1

You really need to read more international news, or listen to more news stories, only early last week (think it was a Scandinavian Country) accused Thailand of hiding the real infected numbers, also the DPM had a rant at this Scandinavian Country saying they don't know how Thailand works so don't coment on it, also a few days later, the PM gave a speach saying that he believed the number of infected people to be correct, 

11 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Can you tell us where you got this "information" from? I really think that spreading rumors of this nature doesn't do anybody any good!

I do listen to international news from all around the world and read a few leading international newspapers (online), but I haven't heard or read of any authority throwing doubts on the Thai figures.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

If there is one good thing about Under reporting or under diagnosing and there are a lot more cases that we know or are being told,  then the mortality rate is a lot lower than reported so far. 

I'm hoping this is true as well. Advanced countries with aggressive testing (South Korea, Italy, Singapore) should provide a much clearer picture in the coming days/weeks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, unsubscribe said:

I'm hoping this is true as well. Advanced countries with aggressive testing (South Korea, Italy, Singapore) should provide a much clearer picture in the coming days/weeks.

in the next few weeks we will have a much cleared picture, Let's keep our fingers crossed. 

• Like 1