Average pay of Bangkokians???

Jan0

I have visited Thailand once for a short period because it was my first time travelling to asia....

I have a friend in Bangkok who admitted receiving a monthly salary of 12000 baht

What would be the average monthly salary they receive in Bangkok?

Is it possible they could be earning much less???

What would be the living condition they encounter???

What is considered as normal standard living for them???

Just curious as I have visited Asia only once for a short time

Edited by Jan0

Possibly on ฿8000 a month + overtime.

Possibly living in a cold water 3 metres x 6 metres concrete room with three - four others. I know a few like that. 

They wouldn't understand what a 'normal standard of living' means. Often straight off the farm, no schooling to speak of - a dog's life.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

Average Bangkok salary 25,000.

Average Thai salary 14,000.

In the village I live in we have family's living on 50,000 a year, but in a rural area frogs/rats/fish/chickens/snakes/road kill are free.

Would you have a idea of 7-11 workers??? 

Edited by Jan0

High school graduate 9k/month, University graduate 14k/month

Street food seller = less, Member of Parliament = more.

Is the average salary in a town relevant to anything?

I was one of the highest paid guys in my field working in London, I couldn't make the average wage.

Mainly because the stockbrokers, day traders, bankers and other fat cats made millions.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

as you can see...it’s all depends on the job.

Exactly, I worked for a "Multi-national" company in Bangkok, salaries were comparable throughout to what the company paid in other areas of the world, if you were to take the Thai "average" they were very well paid, but on "par" for the job they were doing compared to anywhere else in the world where the company had operations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Exactly, I worked for a "Multi-national" company in Bangkok, salaries were comparable throughout to what the company paid in other areas of the world, if you were to take the Thai "average" they were very well paid, but on "par" for the job they were doing compared to anywhere else in the world where the company had operations.

Yup...it’s like the old “Bill Gates walks into a bar...” 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ravip said:

you did your in-depth research on Thai life and got out of the country pretty fast, never to sight it again?

Hopefully! 

The average bkk salary is around 25k as already stated. The median Thai income will be a bit higher than 12k, due to that many people have hidden incomes.

The ones you see in the villages you think are living only on the farm, mostly do a lot of work on the side.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Possibly living in a cold water 3 metres x 6 metres concrete room with three - four others. I know a few like that. 

They wouldn't understand what a 'normal standard of living' means. Often straight off the farm, no schooling to speak of - a dog's life.

Yes I agree with you, In Australia the legal minimum hourly rate is $20. That means if your earning 12000Baht that is 12000/30 = 400 Baht a day. In au $20 = 400Baht so our minimum hourly wage is worth one day of their pay. Their may be some Thai's earning good money but their is also westerners who earns good money as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they earn less then 12000 and live  "dog's life"

I think they are blessed through the tourism industry as a very large portion of GDP comes from tourism....

Edited by Jan0

4 hours ago, cooked said:

minimum wage in Bangkok is about Bt.9200 a month.

9 hours ago, Jan0 said:

Yes I agree with you, In Australia the legal minimum hourly rate is $20. That means if your earning 12000Baht that is 12000/30 = 400 Baht a day. In au $20 = 400Baht so our minimum hourly wage is worth one day of their pay. Their may be some Thai's earning good money but their is also westerners who earns good money as well.

I think they are blessed through the tourism industry as a very large portion of GDP comes from tourism....

The Bang kok Po st once did an educated guess,  about the average hourly wage in Bangkok.  About 12 years ago. They guessed 250 baht,  that's more than 500 today. 

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, cooked said:

<deleted> are you talking about? This is the way many many Thais live. I have been down to BK and Chonburi many times visiting family, bringing them rice and other stuff from the farm, and seen the way they live. Yes, I consider that to be 'in depth', I have even slept in these hutches, seen them come home after double shifts with no one at home to cook for them or keep things clean.

The fact that you haven't noticed is possibly beside the point. Or maybe you haven't noticed that there are other people than Farangs living here?

Maybe this is the way the Thais that you know live. Many many other Thais don’t live like that. Not the ones I know anyway. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cooked said:

<deleted> are you talking about? This is the way many many Thais live. I have been down to BK and Chonburi many times visiting family, bringing them rice and other stuff from the farm, and seen the way they live. Yes, I consider that to be 'in depth', I have even slept in these hutches, seen them come home after double shifts with no one at home to cook for them or keep things clean.

The fact that you haven't noticed is possibly beside the point. Or maybe you haven't noticed that there are other people than Farangs living here?

You are quite entitled to your own opinions. I have nothing to argue about it. But, most people with a balanced view point know the real situation.

The Rich, average and the poor exists in every country AFAIK.

14 hours ago, Jan0 said:

You can never split an AUS salary in 30 days, due to that most are free two days a week. In thailand people are usually free one day per week, which also makes you calulation fall.

• Like 2

From a financial research company. Average salaries so means nothing.

Wages in Thailand decreased to 14238.13 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2019 from 14334.21 THB/Month in the third quarter of 2019. Thailand Average Monthly Wages - data, historical chart, and calendar of releases - was last updated on February of 2020 from its official source.

Don’t forget they all peddle and hustle. All the gf’s I’ve had and their pals all flog some <deleted> or another. Mostly beauty <deleted> , insurance, food etc. constant hustle, even at dinner gatherings. My current gf is on 27,000 a month. Works as a govt official . From what I can see, it’s clerical duties. Plus all the hustling money.

one scary thing I noticed. They are drowning in debt! 

• Sad 1

Depends on the type of work and their qualifications/skills. Uni grads seem to get 18-25k, going up to 40k after 5 years or so. Assist Managers/Managers go higher than this up to ~70k in my experience. Director positions 120k+. VPs 150-300k depending on company. 

So the average really depends on who they are or what they do.

• Like 2

We employ a few Thais.  
The ones I manage are very cool guys.  All English speaking as I don't speak any Thai.

Graphic designer / video editor - 45,000 THB per month.
Junior graphics guy - 20,000
2 online marketing guys - 30,000 each

I'm looking for a front end coder to join our team and budget is about 25-30,000 per month.

I know neighbors gardener earns 7000 a month. Has two kids and a car, so not much and still they have money to let the oldest go the university. Some times the men’s parents give little extra, but overall it’s not much.

The soldiers and policeman are paid around 18000, and I wonder how much a colonel has!