Average pay of Bangkokians???

Jan0

2 hours ago, cooked said:

And I guess you never went to one of the poorer areas of BK, not so far off the beaten tracks but seldom seen by tourists. Plenty of people in the malls, and nobody buying as far as I can see.

So how come the malls don't go bankrupt if nobody's buying?? And why are they still building more malls then??

I live in bkk since 15 years, you live in nakhon nowhere so who 'll know BKK better you think?

17 minutes ago, Thian said:

So how come the malls don't go bankrupt if nobody's buying?? And why are they still building more malls then??

I live in bkk since 15 years, you live in nakhon nowhere so who 'll know BKK better you think?

Malls are build everywhere,

the products available are in accordance to the kind of customers shopping at that particularly place.

Products available at Emporium Khlong Toei, are different to the ones at BigC On Nut. 

47 minutes ago, Thian said:

So how come the malls don't go bankrupt if nobody's buying??

Just for one of those little glass phone stalls you pay about 60,000 per month in rent - in advance. Remember these Malls are run by the richest people in Thailand, half of the stuff they sell are made locally by their own factories at ridiculously cheap labour costs - so they don't really need to sell much at all - when I visited the new section they added to Fashion Island, premium eateries - and it's like a ghost town with an occasional visitor for a meal - yet they remain open.

I'd seriously stop trying to makes sense of this country if I were you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Just for one of those little glass phone stalls you pay about 60,000 per month in rent - in advance. Remember these Malls are run by the richest people in Thailand, half of the stuff they sell are made locally by their own factories at ridiculously cheap labour costs - so they don't really need to sell much at all - when I visited the new section they added to Fashion Island, premium eateries - and it's like a ghost town with an occasional visitor for a meal - yet they remain open.

I'd seriously stop trying to makes sense of this country if I were you.

But it makes perfect sense.  

As you say...the malls are owned by the richest people in Thailand.  That being said, the mall owners aren’t selling anything.  They are just the rent seekers in the equation.  I even have a friend who’s girlfriend leased a couple storefronts from one of those rich mall owners only to try to sublet them herself (stupid stupid stupid).  

The shops went bust within a couple months but she’s still on the hook for the rent unless she wants to walk away from a huge deposit.

33 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Mall owners are able to pass the risk along to the individual merchants.  When that merchant goes under, and can no longer afford their rent, there will always be someone else with big dreams ready to open up the next future failing business.

Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Right, have you noticed the shops from Uniqlo in every mall? Those are huge and sure not cheap....It's always very busy there, long queue's at the cashiers in the weekends....why don't the thai go to the market where it's much cheaper? And how can Tops be so busy? Or the Central department stores? Why do Nike/Adidas and the lot all have huge shops in the malls, they always take the best locations....or why are all the designer brands in every mall around Siam? That's not for show...

3 minutes ago, Airalee said:

But it makes perfect sense.  

As you say...the malls are owned by the richest people in Thailand.  That being said, the mall owners aren’t selling anything.  They are just the rent seekers in the equation.  I even have a friend who’s girlfriend leased a couple storefronts from one of those rich mall owners only to try to sublet them herself (stupid stupid stupid).  

The shops went bust within a couple months but she’s still on the hook for the rent unless she wants to walk away from a huge deposit.

So you have a friend with a stupid gf....oh well...what does that have to do with the salaries in BKK?

21 minutes ago, Thian said:

Right, have you noticed the shops from Uniqlo in every mall? Those are huge and sure not cheap....It's always very busy there, long queue's at the cashiers in the weekends....why don't the thai go to the market where it's much cheaper? And how can Tops be so busy? Or the Central department stores? Why do Nike/Adidas and the lot all have huge shops in the malls, they always take the best locations....or why are all the designer brands in every mall around Siam? That's not for show...

Uniqlo is low budget... $15 shorts, $10 T-shirts, $20 button down shirts.  It’s like a discount Gap...which in itself is a discount clothier.    Thai’s shopping there are hardly the “moneyed” class.

Central department stores...same.  Nothing special about the brands they carry.

It’s also corporate so losses can be written off quite easily.  When you are talking about worldwide corporate brands, they can run individual stores at a loss for years before they end up closing them.  They can also go through numerous financial restructurings before finally closing up shop.  

I will bet that there are far more Thais wearing fake Polo/Lacoste/Adidas/Nike etc. than the real things.

Sure, in malls such as Emporium and Emquartier, you’ll find your wealthy Thais, but I have never seen anybody in the Patek, Rolex or Omega shops.

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

People with money never brag about what they have.  It’s considered to be quite gauche.

And why would they be on Thai Visa in the first place, plenty of better things to do with your life I would imagine.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Uniqlo is low budget... $15 shorts, $10 T-shirts, $20 button down shirts.  It’s like a discount Gap...which in itself is a discount clothier.    Thai’s shopping there are hardly the “moneyed” class.

Central department stores...same.  Nothing special about the brands they carry.

It’s also corporate so losses can be written off quite easily.  When you are talking about worldwide corporate brands, they can run individual stores at a loss for years before they end up closing them.  They can also go through numerous financial restructurings before finally closing up shop.  

I will bet that there are far more Thais wearing fake Polo/Lacoste/Adidas/Nike etc. than the real things.

Sure, in malls such as Emporium and Emquartier, you’ll find your wealthy Thais, but I have never seen anybody in the Patek, Rolex or Omega shops.

Sure, in malls such as Emporium and Emquartier, you’ll find your wealthy Thais, but I have never seen anybody in the Patek, Rolex or Omega shops.

How often do you carry out surveys on the above locations? Weekly, monthly, annually?

On 2/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, Airalee said:

Average income means nothing.  If 9 Thais are earning ฿9000 per month and an engineer is earning ฿119,000 the average for that group is ฿20,000

Similar to Happy Grumpy, the security guards are making about 12k/month as they get paid ฿500/day (for 12 hour shifts per day).  The housekeepers probably make a little less but supplement their income cleaning private units (small 1br) for ฿300 or so per cleaning.  The guys hanging on ropes painting our hi rise are making ฿900/day for 8 hour days.  Two people I know own restaurants.  One pays the staff ฿400/day the other ฿350.  Entry level office jobs (with university degree) start at ฿15,000.  A close friends husband who is an electrical engineer for Dtac with 15 years experience makes ฿100,000/month.  

as you can see...it’s all depends on the job.

That's why you need to take the median salary but even the Australian Prime Minister doesn't understand this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

Sure, in malls such as Emporium and Emquartier, you’ll find your wealthy Thais, but I have never seen anybody in the Patek, Rolex or Omega shops.

How often do you carry out surveys on the above locations? Weekly, monthly, annually?

No need to carry out surveys.  Did you know that you have to be “approved” to buy some Pateks?  

Just now, mngmn said:

That's why you need to take the median salary but even the Australian Prime Minister doesn't understand this.

Good luck ever finding any statistics on median salaries here.

I’m sure that the Australian Prime minister understands it quite well.   Governments (and trade organizations such as the National association of Realtors) will latch onto whichever (mean vs median) suits their purpose.

4 minutes ago, Airalee said:

No need to carry out surveys.  Did you know that you have to be “approved” to buy some Pateks?  

Yes. 99% of the time you will be approved as a first time or repeat buyer - that factor is irrelevant here, I think. Also, PP wouldnt be 'racial' in selling their product.

1 minute ago, ravip said:

Yes. 99% of the time you will be approved as a first time or repeat buyer - that factor is irrelevant here, I think. Also, PP wouldnt be 'racial' in selling their product.

I never said anything about race.  I see your google skills are good too.

• Haha 1

Gf earns circa 50k per month here in Bangkok, professional role in marketing. Still living at home so that goes a decent way, drives a car etc. 

I'm in Thong Lor at the moment and it's clear there is plenty of money around here, expat and local. Still, the cost of condos and western-style living means you need to be earning serious money to prosper imo. Paid £100 for a meal and a couple of drinks for 2 at El Gaucho (and we did not have the steaks), raised my eyebrows for sure. 

In my field of work (IT, working for a large bank)....gross UK salary & pension package without overtime is around £70k GBP. Would not be able to make near that here in an equivalent role here in BKK but my average tax & social security rate in UK comes out at around 30-35% i think. Not sure what I'd pay in tax here??

Edited by MarkyM3
  • Like 1

My wife makes 20+

She's 43. Low level manager, corporate. Huge entertainment conglomerate with their own building. It's a cake job, even fun but once a month she needs to work a 20hr shift she doubles onsite as crew and sometimes needs to translate whenwworking with international entities. Her raises are b500 a year. 3 weeks holiday. Decent medical, dental. Sick leave. Other than that one big, ugly day she prolly works about three hours a day. 10-7 an hour for lunch.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

That is the minimum wage or even less than that depending what city. I got Thai staff making over a 100K a month.

Bangkok, this is the normal wage for the working class not the exceptional top of the Market.

Edited by Thongkorn

If you're talking truly broad averages, then average would be around 25k baht.

But speaking in terms of averages is useless, you can't put a maid and a CTO in the same boat.

English speaking capability also plays a big part.

So,

Un-skilled Thai's - < 9k / month
Entry-level staff - basic college degree - no English = 9k - 15k / month

Mid-level staff - basic college degree - very basic /no English = 15k - 25k / month

Mid-level staff - basic college degree - passable/basic English - 25k - 45k / month

Mid-level-staff - overseas degree / MBA / reputed Thai degree - good English - 45k - 75k / month

Senior-level staff - great qualifications - good English - 75k / month upwards

Country manager / GM level - 120k - 150k / month upwards

C-level executives - 200k - 250k / month upwards