Hua Hin Scam

rikard t

2 minutes ago, rikard t said:

thank you, i understand that is the law. Posters here are doing a great job adding insult to injury as it is, i dont need to also go to jail for defamation????. Somehow i guess my best course of action is forgetting about this ordeal and keep enjoying my vacation. if someone do have any suggestion that would give me a reasonable chance of recouping the money im all ear.

Give me 20k and I will pick a horse for you. I will give you back 29k if it wins and keep the rest.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rikard t said:

no he logged in to HIS banking account and made a transfer to me. i gave him cash. in the process i needed to login to my account and copy my account details.

Did you log into your account on his device or your device?

Edited by shadowofacloud

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Definitely a scam. Would you give 29k (almost $1000) to a random stranger in your own country?

ofcourse not but would i ask strangers for 1000$ in thailand if i had my bag stolen? Truth to be told, 100$ yes thats plausible maybe even probable but i can see now that 1000$ is a bit ridicilous..

1 hour ago, rikard t said:

yes all that was asked for. i watched the bank transfer being done but maybe there is a possibility to cancel the transfer after the fact or whatever.

I'm wondering if you can help me. I had my laptop and phone stolen today and no I can't play Thai Visa Forum. If you can help me, I will be sure to post a thank you note and arrange to pay you back once I get online and can finally post again.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

What did he give you?

29k baht by SEPA transfer? but im pretty sure he either cancelled it or perhaps he made some maneouver that i missed or he cancelled after i left? Still very stupid yes and i am in no obligation to help a stranger out ..

1 minute ago, rikard t said:

29k baht by SEPA transfer? but im pretty sure he either cancelled it or perhaps he made some maneouver that i missed or he cancelled after i left? Still very stupid yes and i am in no obligation to help a stranger out ..

Hard lesson learnt mate. I hope your generosity will reward you in the future ????

3 minutes ago, jastheace said:

....and did the German recommend ThaiVisa.com as a great place to register a newbie account for news and advice? 

just wondering.

for a friend.

12 minutes ago, shadowofacloud said:

Did you log into your account on his device or your device?

I see what you are getting at. Mine, i was scammed but i dont see how my bank information is compromised. Good to think about though ill keep going through the action in my head to make sure..Thank you for your help

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rikard t said:

Well go to police. Sort it out.

31 minutes ago, rikard t said:

no he logged in to HIS banking account and made a transfer to me. i gave him cash. in the process i needed to login to my account and copy my account details.

“Hello, customer service...how may we help you?”

”Some guy held me up at knifepoint and forced me to transfer ฿29,000 into his account”

50 minutes ago, rikard t said:

I see what you are getting at. Mine, i was scammed but i dont see how my bank information is compromised. Good to think about though ill keep going through the action in my head to make sure..Thank you for your help

OK, if it was your device, I wouldn't be too worried.

37 minutes ago, Airalee said:

“Hello, customer service...how may we help you?”

”Some guy held me up at knifepoint and forced me to transfer ฿29,000 into his account”

not a good idea. could get the OP more problems. lies and defamation.

seems to be a con though yes, if his account is 29,000 b light.

as I understand it, OP gave the German cash in exchange for what he saw as a bank transfer.

trying to help a fellow westerner in a foreign land has not come out well for him.

if your account is light, then it was a scam. go to tourist police, and that's all you can do.

but thanks for the warning. not many of us would have done the same/ fallen for it .

good luck

assuming genuine post of course !

1 hour ago, rikard t said:

Posters here are doing a great job adding insult to injury as it is, 

Cut them some slack,they,'re poor pussy  whipped sad little men who have mental issues from being bullied at school and are now trying to reassert their masculinity by hiding behind a keyboard.

11 hours ago, kingdong said:

Cut them some slack,they,'re poor pussy  whipped sad little men who have mental issues from being bullied at school and are now trying to reassert their masculinity by hiding behind a keyboard.

Are you serious? These scams have been around for years.

The OP must have not done any reading. Warnings have been there for 10+ years.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My wife and I own a small guesthouse in Thailand and he had a similar scam tried on us a few months ago.

We received a phone call from a distraught customer who had recently checked out and moved on too Chiang Mai, They said they had been robbed and lost their plane ticket, credit cards and phone, which explained us not recognising the number, however they were still in possession of their passport. They wanted me to  transfer some money into an account so they could get home.

The name of the customer was correct however they could not provide the exact dates of their stay with us, this aroused my suspicions.

I suggested that they go to the police station to report the crime and was told that they had already done that, i then suggested they go to the tourist police and report the crime and we could speak to the tourist police and if it was legitimate we would help, they would not go to tourist police.

After a lot of too'ing and fro'ing we eventually hung up and i rang the tourist police in Chiang Mai and enquired about this incident.

The Tourist police informed me that it was a scam and said it had been occurring frequently.

I do not trust people over here and the scams are forever changing and getting more sophisticated.

To OP, you are a generous person  but sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

Reminds me of a similar attempted scam on me some time ago.

Just off the plane in Brussels and proceeding to the airport city rail station.

This guy came to me, said he was an Austrian businessman. 

His flight cancelled. Needed to buy asap an international train ticket to Vienna but had no cash with him and no CC.

Could I please "loan" him money.

He'd reimburse me as soon as he got back home.

Promise! I just had to give him my address. My address!!  Not his. ????

He was persistent, I was encumbered with a heavy suitcase and it took me a bit to shake him off.

The part I really like is the "You give me YOUR address".

Not the only time I've been asked for emergency $$ help by alleged stranded persons.

Best to be a cold-heart Cheap Charlie with these scammers.

This said I find the OP's account very hard to believe ... ????

On 5/1/2020 at 4:27 AM, tattoodrob said:

Rikard I sent you message, I’ve got a good idea who is your scammer.

You must be very rich man, the defamation law is very harsh in thailand!

• Confused 1

On 2/25/2020 at 5:46 PM, rikard t said:

You didn't check your balance before going him cash?