BANGKOK
MJCM

Concrete slab (supporting Water Tanks) on new landfill.

5 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

How was the pad filled.

Trucks backing over the dumped fill after tractor to level.

trucks dumping the fill, tractor leveled it, then trucks, both dump trucks and delivery trucks ran over it, many times already in those 1-1,5 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

trucks dumping the fill, tractor leveled it, then trucks, both dump trucks and delivery trucks ran over it, many times already in those 1-1,5 months.

That will have done a little but not  very much to compact the fill, what ever you do its still going to sink 200mm to 300mm over time. We had a similar amount of fill with a similar kind of traffic over it so I am talking from experience, we left ours to natural compaction for a few years and that was what happened.

So short answer, the fill can not support the water tanks, it will compress.

You can create a concrete raft either floating on the fill or supported by foundations that go down to the original surface. Probably not value for money unless combined with something else

You can also dig holes in the fill to put your tanks in, the base layer would need much less preparation.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You can also dig holes in the fill to put your tanks in, the base layer would need much less preparation.

Thx for the advice.

Dig holes to put the tanks in, is IMHO not an option because we want the tanks to be connected to each other via 2" PVC. There will be rain water flowing into 2 tanks (one on each side of the rain gutters) and all the other tanks (I estimated we need approx 10-12 tanks (maybe even more depending on the length of the dry season)) will be connected to those 2 tanks.

That water then goes through a Sediment, Carbon and Resin filter to a underground water tank (2000 Liters) to supply the house. That water is ONLY used for showers and dishes and washing).

But will give your idea some thought and discuss this with the SWMBO.

• Like 1

Discussed this with the SWMBO and she thinks it's a good idea, but will look weird as the hole will be 1.2+ deep and the tanks are approx 1.9m high so they will only show 60-70cm above ground. A good way to hide your tanks she said 5555555555

25 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Dig holes to put the tanks in, is IMHO not an option because we want the tanks to be connected to each other via 2" PVC. There will be rain water flowing into 2 tanks (one on each side of the rain gutters) and all the other tanks (I estimated we need approx 10-12 tanks (maybe even more depending on the length of the dry season)) will be connected to those 2 tanks.

There would be no problem in connecting the tanks just a little more digging, to put the connections in then 6” pipe risers to allow the stopcocks to be turned on and off

You should allow 200 litres per person per day consumption possibly a bit more for washing

Edited by sometimewoodworker

If you arrange for the water to feed from the last tanks in line you can use the first ones as settlement tanks so getting absolutely clear water from the series. 

16 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Discussed this with the SWMBO and she thinks it's a good idea, but will look weird as the hole will be 1.2+ deep and the tanks are approx 1.9m high so they will only show 60-70cm above ground. A good way to hide your tanks she said 5555555555

Probably a little better looking than 
732B0749-CA1A-4062-8D3D-21331C88F2FD.jpeg.853e0b96ba468248dab14bfd065ead65.jpeg

• Sad 1

I made this "simple" drawing.

tanks_tv2.jpg.3859687d5fccb30b51688773dec53e86.jpg

It then will go from the "connected tanks" to filters to an underground tank near the house.

The 1st holding tank is situated right at the back of the house, the connected tanks will be approx 10-20 meters away from the house and it will be then pumped from the "connected" tanks on a timer to the underground water tank which is again near the house.

The only point my wife made was will not the "hole" with the connected tanks not fill up with water when it rains heavily,

Edited by MJCM

26 minutes ago, MJCM said:

The only point my wife made was will not the "hole" with the connected tanks not fill up with water when it rains heavily,

Yes it will but since the tanks will be ⅔ in the ground and back filled (don’t forget to use sand not the  Excavated earth to backfill beside the tank) they won’t be a problem. The only thing that could fill with water would be the riser pipes that allow access to the tank isolation stopcocks but they would drain after.

0EA354CC-7338-4E6B-9774-6FF316EFB73B.jpeg.2456f75be8ae0abccfb7c2cd2aa75305.jpeg

Of course once you have put the tanks in you MUST immediately fill them up to ground level with water.

I would take the feed from the 1st holding tank from the top to allow settlement, eliminate the ballcock in the in ground tanks and instead put in an overflow pipe from the last one. Otherwise all the excess water is going to dump beside the house.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

You make some really good points, but I am thinking of leaving the tanks exposed (so no back fill) but then need to think of sufficient drainage for the "hole".

Will run pipes from almost at the bottom of the "hole" to a drainage area.

What do you think about that?

You are turning what is a simple project into a major complex problem. 

With the money you about to invest, hire a civil engineering to design a proper slab to support the tanks that's not going to settle, crack or break its back, probably an hour or so's work.

Edited by Artisi

Just now, Artisi said:

You are turning what is a simple project into a major complex problem. 

With the money you about to invest, hire a civil engineering to design a proper slab to support the tanks that's not going to settle, crack or break its back. 

IMHO what @sometimewoodworker is suggesting is not a major complex problem. His suggestion eliminates a lot of problems but I just have a big hole with tanks in it. But that big hole is not a major issue as we have 3,5 Rai to play with.

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

IMHO what @sometimewoodworker is suggesting is not a major complex problem. His suggestion eliminates a lot of problems but I just have a big hole with tanks in it. But that big hole is not a major issue as we have 3,5 Rai to play with.

Round and round in circles chasing your tail. 

Just now, Artisi said:

Round and round in circles chasing your tail. 

It could be but I can't do anything yet till end of next month. So I am just gathering suggestions/idea's/comments/remarks/criticism 😉 

• Like 1

I think the suggestion @sometimewoodworker only costs approx 1-2 day of digger hire (4k THB per day) to dig a hole approx 1,2m deep and 20meters long and then pour a slap of 1,4m width and 20 meters long and 15cm thick would cost approx 10KTHB for 5m3 of Cpac concrete. (excluding the workers and the rebar of course)

Concrete calculation from here: https://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html?slablength=20&slablengthunit=meter&slabwidth=1.4&slabwidthunit=meter&slabthick=15&slabthickunit=centimeter&slabquantity=1&slabcal=Calculate

Don't forget it's fresh land fill (and only slightly compacted 😉 )

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1