Back-to-back SETV in Hanoi?

Hi all, I came to Thailand at the beginning of November 2019 and on 1 January flew to Hanoi and got an SETV there (my first time there). AS I enjoyed my few days in Hanoi, I was thinking of returning there to try and get a second one at the beginning of April when this one expires. Any recent experiences of anyone trying to get two in a row from Hanoi? The first one was painless but I did see some people being turned away for not having a bank statement.

• Sad 1

You did not mention history prior to start of Nov. So your here now 4 months. Sounds like you entered on setv or VE and extended. Another setv from Hanoi with possible extension could take your stay to 7 months.

Even if you obtained setv at Hanoi, you then need to fly to Thailand. What's the plan X Hanoi to DMK? Good luck with that idea.

I think a land border country idea better.

That way if denied setv you could use visa exempt border entry.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You did not mention history prior to start of Nov. So your here now 4 months. Sounds like you entered on setv or VE and extended. Another setv from Hanoi with possible extension could take your stay to 7 months.

Even if you obtained setv at Hanoi, you then need to fly to Thailand. What's the plan X Hanoi to DMK? Good luck with that idea.

I think a land border country idea better.

That way if denied setv you could use visa exempt border entry.

hey thanks. When I flew in in early November it was my first time here in about 2 and a half years. Yep, I initially entered on VE, stayed 60 days and then when to Hanoi on New Years day and applied for the visa the following day, and the back to BKK a few days after that. I flew from Hanoi into Survarhibum when I did it, not DMK. 

3 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

hey thanks. When I flew in in early November it was my first time here in about 2 and a half years. Yep, I initially entered on VE, stayed 60 days and then when to Hanoi on New Years day and applied for the visa the following day, and the back to BKK a few days after that. I flew from Hanoi into Survarhibum when I did it, not DMK. 

Ok, info more clear. I had an eye on your post count and assumed perhaps you had been in Thailand quite a bit.

Yes Hanoi old quarter great joint. 

Ubonjoe has advised no problem. Always listen to him over other folk.

Some consulates such as PP tend to refuse second setv. Seems from ubonjoe advice that's not the case at Hanoi.

Did you consider setv from HCMC?

Again very chill consulate and city for a break. 

Airport very close to district 1. Do a Google.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Ok, info more clear. 

Yes Hanoi old quarter great joint. 

Ubonjoe has advised no problem. Always listen to him over other folk.

Some consulates such as PP tend to refuse second setv. Seems from ubonjoe advice that's not the case at Hanoi.

Did you consider setv from HCMC?

Again very chill consulate and city for a break. 

Airport very close to district 1. Do a Google.

Hey, I did actually consider HCMC but the website says they require proof of accommodation (contract etc,) for at least half of the intended stay (I wrote them to ask for confirmation and surprisingly the got back and confirmed). My landlord wont provide me with a contract (or anything for that matter) so that's why Hanoi seem the best bet. It was also the easiest Thai consulate I've ever dealt with. Hardly anyone there at the time I went. The consulate I've seen that's easier is the one in Toronto which looks like someone's living room and even has a dog. They ask for nothing there, and even offer METVs. Bit far for a visa run though!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Hey, I did actually consider HCMC but the website says they require proof of accommodation (contract etc,) for at least half of the intended stay (I wrote them to ask for confirmation and surprisingly the got back and confirmed). My landlord wont provide me with a contract (or anything for that matter) so that's why Hanoi seem the best bet. It was also the easiest Thai consulate I've ever dealt with. Hardly anyone there at the time I went. The consulate I've seen that's easier is the one in Toronto which looks like someone's living room and even has a dog. They ask for nothing there, and even offer METVs. Bit far for a visa run though!

Think you will find Saigon equally relaxed as Hanoi. Many good reviews about that joint. As for accom bookings that has not been an issue from the threads I have read and personal experience (all be it many yrs ago). In any event you can book accom that has free cancellation fee. Such as Agoda. Obtain print out of booking. Not hard.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you will find Saigon equally relaxed as Hanoi. Many good reviews about that joint. As for accom bookings that has not been an issue from the threads I have read and personal experience (all be it many yrs ago). In any event you can book accom that has free cancellation fee. Such as Agoda. Obtain print out of booking. Not hard.

Aha, there's the rub! They said they would not accept a booking, only an actual receipt showing payment. I bit crazy but some of the other SE Asia consulates now have this requirement on their website. I think KL and Penang now both ask for that. When I lived here years ago, it was never this strict. But that was pre-junta. I assume these new guidelines have been introduced since the coup. I might get the visa in Hanoi and then fly to Saigon just to check it out as it seems a shame to go the Vietnam twice and not see it. I can always then fly back to BKK from there an ditch my other return. Thanks for your replies by the way!

Edited by stephen tracy

Hey Stephen. Some folk will be along soon to advise on recent experience Saigon for setv. There are many threads/reports about that. Will be useful update if indeed Saigon requires paid receipt accom.

I have personally never read that type of report.

In any event good luck.

9 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Aha, there's the rub! They said they would not accept a booking, only an actual receipt showing payment.

Not needed in HCMC. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7442/80804-For-Non-Vietnamese-passport-holder-|-Dành-cho-ngườ.html  And no reports of it being needed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi Joe, thanks. Now I'm confused. I wrote to them to ask if this was for sure a requirement, and they wrote back saying not only was it a requirement, they wanted to see receipt of payment. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll email them again. 

49 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Hi Joe, thanks. Now I'm confused. I wrote to them to ask if this was for sure a requirement, and they wrote back saying not only was it a requirement, they wanted to see receipt of payment. Hmmmmmm. Maybe I'll email them again. 

Maybe the were giving giving you info for a citizen of Vietnam since that is required for them.

Google translate of the requirement on the page for them to apply for a tourist visa. "The hotel reservation has been paid and the dates match the trip schedule above." Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7442/80803-For-Vietnamese-passport-holder-|-Dành-cho-người-có.html

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Maybe the were giving giving you info for a citizen of Vietnam since that is required for them.

Google translate of the requirement on the page for them to apply for a tourist visa. "The hotel reservation has been paid and the dates match the trip schedule above." Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7442/80803-For-Vietnamese-passport-holder-|-Dành-cho-người-có.html

Ah ok. That makes more sense given the requirement you sent the link for before. I think I might give HCMC a go then after all. It's not for another 5 weeks but I'll post a report on my experience after I do it to confirm. Thanks again. 

• Like 1