Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Ford Rangers are made here and up until recently they didn't even have seat belts in the rear for the local models. I don't know if they do now. The moldings had the space for the rear sash seat belts but it seems local conditions don't demand it.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they stop making the ford ranger in the US about ten years ago ? Just google it and they have started making them again in 2019 after an 8 year hiatus . 

Edited by chrisandsu

13 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

massively overpriced old tech american cars - amazes me that people buy these types of cars - and they do in Aust too.

Holden were part of the parent company, General Motors, but were not Chevs, despite some styling similarities. Holdens were designed for the Australian market and in my opinion better than the US vehicles.

Many may not know that, in the noughties, over 30,000 Holden Monaro's were made LHD, exported to the US and rebadged as Pontiac GTOs. 

I owned 4 or 5 Holdens over the years and drove them to places around Australia that many modern 4wds wouldn't venture. My only Ford purchase was <deleted> and I quickly got rid of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they stop making the ford ranger in the US about ten years ago ? Just google it and they have started making them again in 2019 after an 8 year hiatus . 

I don't understand your point. Could you please elaborate on it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Susco said:

Strange that someone who would not want one for free walked into the sales room twice when they weren't even in promotion.

From the response of the staff it looks as if they know you ????

You're a bright spark aren't you. As mentioned that was 4 years ago when I was cashed up and looking to buy a new car.

Now ask yourself why I wouldn't want one for free, or is that too hard to comprehend being the bright spark that you are ?

You see, looking back, I see it this way, they did me a favor, because if that's how they serve their customers, one can only think that their mechanical service area would be like, pretty much the same, you would have to think, oi.

Think outside the square, if you were in a sales environment and were talking to someone on the phone and a "live one" as we used to call them, walked in to your showroom, wouldn't you be telling the person on the line that you will have to call them back,..........why,.........because a "live one" has entered the showroom & it's a farang, who usually has money and you would have a 90% chance of making a sale.

Now ask yourself why they are shutting down all over Thailand, no doubt you will have the answer because you appear to know everything already judging by your comments.

The fact of the matter is, when your in the sales game, you have to attend to new customers as quick as possible or you will not only lose them, you would lose their future business and most provide referrals if they are happy with the service, so to sum it all up for you bright spark, Chevy lost this customer to Ford, remember I went in twice in two days, one more than most and Ford have gone above and beyond for me, now that is how you look after a customer and they will get repeat business from me when I upgrade soon, and they have received referrals from me.

So you think the staff knew me did you, well looks like they are out of a job now and Chey is no longer here ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

20 minutes ago, new2here said:

I understand their feelings... but... unless Thai law or Chevrolet’s applicable policies in Thailand have some form of “price protection” then I don’t see a credible claim here.

in the same way if the car was sold at X price LAST week,  but then a price HIKE were to come into effect THIS, would the same argument be made for the buyers to pay up to the new price level?

again, I can empathize with their issue - and I do agree that there was a very very quick devaluation of their vehicles (if bought at pre-clearance prices) but that to me isn’t a compensable matter.  

lots of “end of the model year” sales - be that clothes, electronics, etc are sold this way and those that buy at any point in the models life cycle bear some risk as to the timing and risks associated to market cycle and pricing relative to the point in the life cycle.

It's true buyers of the new model before the pullout probably don't have any real rights. But there aren't that many of them and it would have been a quality goodwill gesture for GM to offer something.

GM would have had this pullout on the agenda for quite a while. This is not a snap decision.

But It sounds like GM believe they won't receive any worrisome flak from Left Hand drive countries based on their handling of the right hand market exit strategy. It is just risk management.

If it costs less overall to do this, do it. If the international flak will be a greater liability than the goodwill gesture to relatively few existing customers who bought the new model at full price, then they will come to the party.

And this is the heart of the story.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

15 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I purchased my Ranger here in 2016, they also make them or sell them in Australia, as for rear seat belts, ours has them, wouldn't have purchase it without em as we have kids, and we wouldn't put them in the rear tray as Thai's do, hence seat belts being a MUST.

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Were they coerced ? Did the sales people and / or the dealership lie to them ?

Hold a gun to their head ?

If all answers a resounding NO ...

Put it down to the continuing cost of your education

Any information that the decision was made months ago could influence the outcome. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I purchased my Ranger here in 2016, they also make them or sell them in Australia, as for rear seat belts, ours has them, wouldn't have purchase it without em as we have kids, and we wouldn't put them in the rear tray as Thai's do, hence seat belts being a MUST.

Good to see some Rangers have the rear seat belts. A staff member at work has one and as I mentioned, the Moldings are formed for seat belts, but there are none installed from the factory. I wasn't sure if it was all models or certain models and if the practice of no seat belts had been stopped. Thanks for clarifying.

26 minutes ago, Susco said:

Strange that someone who would not want one for free walked into the sales room twice when they weren't even in promotion.

From the response of the staff it looks as if they know you ????

image.png.9f4def099a8190e604ab5365a8e6b047.png

My experience similar but a twist, went into Chevrolet show room in Chiang Mai, 2 'pretty girls' approached, my son was looking at one of the cars and asked several relevant questions, response from pretty girls to every question " It's a very beautiful car". Son walked across to area where some actual staff (Chev. branded clothes) were chatting and asked same questions, the response "please call Bkk HO". 

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Good to see some Rangers have the rear seat belts. A staff member at work has one and as I mentioned, the Moldings are formed for seat belts, but there are none installed from the factory. I wasn't sure if it was all models or certain models and if the practice of no seat belts had been stopped. Thanks for clarifying.

My father in law has an Isuzu two door, no seat belts in the rear, no it's about 13 years old, at the time no seat belts in the rear were a requirement, so not sure if the Ford your work friend has is a two door and if the same applies so many years later, but as we see, many Thai's ride in the back tray, so if you have lax government, perhaps the manufacturers aren't required to have them in the back of two doors, as crazy as it is.

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

They stopped making them for the American market in 2011 . They started back up with the 2019 model as ford is pulling out of all small cars and only building trucks and suvs from now on (as their cars were garbage) 

Edited by chrisandsu
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I was talking about the American market . My first post was about different build standards in different countries .

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

What in the name of Satan is wrong with those people. Utterly Greed that's the problem. There are specials on in many shops every month,  they Don't complain that they paid the full price before. All those people who did buy a car agreed to the Full price ,Didn't they? what's the problem? Good luck to the people who get a Discount Special. Just grow up.  

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

I think Chevy lost customers who paid full price , they will never buy one again????

I do not think Chevy cares, as they will not be in this market here in SE Asia.  So I believe they will just take what they can for a loss on the books and walk away.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

I think Chevy lost customers who paid full price , they will never buy one again????

That Don't matter for Chev  “GM will cease sales of Chevrolet vehicles in Thailand's new car market by the end of 2020, but will continue to support existing Chevrolet ...

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Not all models. Some are very good; just consult Consumer Reports, JD Power or Edmunds. It's just that they're mostly unavailable in Asia. For a sedan I'd love to have an Impala.

Do they still make the impala ?  The name always reminds me of a girl friend in '66 who said she had a red one.