Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

14 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

massively overpriced old tech american cars - amazes me that people buy these types of cars - and they do in Aust too.

I take it you have not ridden in aamerican car in a while. Old tech is still avaliable in any brand you want to pay less for.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tamsam6 said:

Had one for 7 years.  Only thing I changed during that time was the tires.  Solid vehicle.  Not sure what you are on about... Would take one of their diesels over any CRV/BRV

Rented Hertz Captivas in Texas no issues thought it was okay - Texas spec probably.

44 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Holden were part of the parent company, General Motors, but were not Chevs, despite some styling similarities. Holdens were designed for the Australian market and in my opinion better than the US vehicles.

Many may not know that, in the noughties, over 30,000 Holden Monaro's were made LHD, exported to the US and rebadged as Pontiac GTOs. 

I owned 4 or 5 Holdens over the years and drove them to places around Australia that many modern 4wds wouldn't venture. My only Ford purchase was <deleted> and I quickly got rid of it.

I was in Oz for about a year in 1971 , I hired a Holden Premier and was sat at the lights in Perth , one side of me was a Monaro and the other side was a Ford Super Roo ( is this right ? )  The lights changed and despite moving I thought I was standing still , burning rubber from both these 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

There are other consequences to this. It is not a case of the end user needing to learn. GM had been planning this exit for some time yet did not advise customers sooner.

Customers who paid stick price before the exit now face a vast out of pocket expense if their car is damaged or written off. This is because Insurance now value the car paid at stick price at the new fire sale price.

I'm unsure how one could be 'educated' when the GM pullout was not known at the time of these purchases.

But, I'd be grateful if you could educate me on how to avoid these unique situations in future.

I think you'll find the insurance value of the vehicle is already stated on the policy, therefore that's the payout they will receive if the car is a write off. How the valuation by their insurance company is done at policy renewal date is another matter.

It should be noted that even if the brand new car was involved in a total loss case within 5 minutes of delivery, the value shown on that insurance policy will be the same value as given on the 364th day, therefore the payout will be considerably less than the new owner just paid 5 minutes earlier at the dealership.

14 hours ago, baansgr said:

84 payments on a vehicle thats worth less than half what it was last week....oops...not a nice feeling

Possibly a few repossession cases coming up. 

Which will be interesting to say the least. 

A 1.1 million baht vehicle drops about 30% as soon as its driven out of the car yard. Dealership. 

So about 760k.

Repo value about 500k.

But GM sells brand new unused cars for 550k.. same models. 

Interesting situation...

Edited by dallen52

21 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Captiva? In Oz when they were assembled there they were named Craptiva by the production line workers. Not much of an endorsement. 

I agree. Not much of an endorsement of the line workers who call their own work such crude names.

3 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

I think you'll find the insurance value of the vehicle is already stated on the policy, therefore that's the payout they will receive if the car is a write off. How the valuation by their insurance company is done at policy renewal date is another matter.

It should be noted that even if the brand new car was involved in a total loss case within 5 minutes of delivery, the value shown on that insurance policy will be the same value as given on the 364th day, therefore the payout will be considerably less than the new owner just paid 5 minutes earlier at the dealership.

Which car salesman try charging you a fortune for ‘bridge’ insurance . 

23 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

I was talking about the American market . My first post was about different build standards in different countries .

As was I speaking about differing build standards for different markets. And specifically additions for individual markets. Which showed there is a different compliance to safety. This compliance may or may not also go into making less robust bodies or similar (less welding or differing gauge metal in non essential areas) in cars manufactured for regions with lower standards.

15 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

massively overpriced old tech american cars - amazes me that people buy these types of cars - and they do in Aust too.

Apparently not for long in Australia. I am interested to know what specific 'old tech' you are referring to. I wasn't aware they were so far behind the pack.

5 minutes ago, Derek B said:

No harm in asking especially if sales team withheld knowledge of the pending pricing drop. Customer satisfaction will not matter now to GM.

I wonder how the warranty/guarantee will be honoured on heavily discounted vehicles?

Where are you going to lodge your warranty claim or do service next year?????

16 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

You are correct. But as you stated, Insurance policies are generally 12 month contracts. What happens at next policy change over is what the customers are unhappy about based on reports I read on the matter. I thought that would have been a concept that needed no explanation but with the other comments maybe I have poor understanding.

I am not greatly aware of insurance policy in TH, but I assume some of the bigger players would have "new for old" policies on offer. I may well be wrong on that.

As someone else mentioned there might be a few people just walking away from their loans which is a terrible situation in itself. Better to just drive the vehicle until it is no longer worth repairing.

Edited by Farangwithaplan

OK I bought one in November 2019, why..not old tech, This Trailblazer has lane drift warning, blind spot warning, collision warning, remote start, independent tire pressure monitor.... and a bunch of other little things that make it nice to drive. I looked at Isuzu, Toyota and Honda and they did not offer these bells and whistles. Got friends here who have driven Chevy's for years and never had any issues. 400K on clock.. Will grant you one thing they were not made in USA, thats for sure, quality of the vehicle seems superior to one from US. So shoulda woulda coulda, sorry about that... I like the motor, gets good mileage and unless we crash it will be the last one we ever own I suspect..we ain't spring chickens..

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

I bought a colorado back in 2016 , it has done many k's travellin from Melb to Bris, it has not once faulted, still have it and swear by it, how can you bag a car when you know nothing about it?, ford yeah well that's a different story.

• Like 2

499k seems like the fair price for a 2019 Chevrolet Captiva LS Turbo aka MG Hector aka Baojun 530. paying 999k for it just smells of lack of research.

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

I think Chevy lost customers who paid full price , they will never buy one again????

they only need to own and maintain one for 5 years, and they will never buy one again. EVER!

45 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What in the name of Satan is wrong with those people. Utterly Greed that's the problem. There are specials on in many shops every month,  they Don't complain that they paid the full price before. All those people who did buy a car agreed to the Full price ,Didn't they? what's the problem? Good luck to the people who get a Discount Special. Just grow up.  

So if you found yourself in the same position you’d be absolutely fine with it? Yeah, of course you would.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yankyoakum said:

OK I bought one in November 2019, why..not old tech, This Trailblazer has lane drift warning, blind spot warning, collision warning, remote start, independent tire pressure monitor.... and a bunch of other little things that make it nice to drive. I looked at Isuzu, Toyota and Honda and they did not offer these bells and whistles. Got friends here who have driven Chevy's for years and never had any issues. 400K on clock.. Will grant you one thing they were not made in USA, thats for sure, quality of the vehicle seems superior to one from US. So shoulda woulda coulda, sorry about that... I like the motor, gets good mileage and unless we crash it will be the last one we ever own I suspect..we ain't spring chickens..

Do folk really need all those bells and whistles....?

I am quite happy just driving a ride, I have survived over half a century doing so without the bells and whistles that will probably go wrong anyhooo. ????

I wonder if any of your bells and whistles have failed causing an accident. There was a Mazda ad on the tele, had a bird doing her makeup in the rearview mirror, the cars braking gizmo stopped the car from crashing, now if that gizmo failed, the bird would have needed some serious makeup...????......Really daft ad though..

• Like 1

"Mai mee guaranteee ..." 

These complainants would have heard or even said this dozens of times in the course of their lives in Thailand.

Nobody here wants to ever return money or take the product back.

Most infuriating , but thats how it is.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Has the vehicle they were happy to pay that price for at the time in any way changed ?? 

Dont see how compensation is valid in that case at all.. Brands have done this many times. 

I have never heard about car-prices going down almost 50%. For any reason. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

Last week i bought toilet paper at Big C, this week they are selling it as "buy one get one free" - I want my money back!

I guess their main concern is that the neighbours will think that they bought a car for 500k instead of one million, massive loss of face to buy such a cheap car.

Indeed. The issue is the potential massive loss of face. So important to be seen in something big, new and shiny with a hefty price tag. Me? I couldn't care less. My Thai father in-law revels still in the car I paid for, new, 7 years ago now. No way was a second hand car an option, then or now!! . Still lovingly washes and polishes it inside and out, which is great for me! And it still looks good as new, barring the inevitable  sscratches  picked in tight car parks.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Chevrolet Thailand has no policy on compensation in this case since the price-cut promotion took effect from February 18 and was in accordance with the law,” the company announced.

Cut-off dates are a bitch sometimes.. tough luck if you bought one the day before!