Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

selling off stock at 50% discount will affect later used car sales price "down the road", and resale value is a consideration when buying a car, for some people anyway.

The analogy to "buy 1 get 1" re toilet paper sounds good til you dig into it. No one buys used toilet paper. Well, I hope no one...

I buy used toilet paper all the time in Australia..RECYCLED 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So if you found yourself in the same position you’d be absolutely fine with it? Yeah, of course you would.

Nobody here would be happy in this situation. We might complain about it to our GF/wife or friends, but we would understand that something like this happens all the time (usually just not in such dimensions) and then continue with our life. We would not go public and demand our money back.

17 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Has the vehicle they were happy to pay that price for at the time in any way changed ?? 

Dont see how compensation is valid in that case at all.. Brands have done this many times. 

They were happy to pay the full price so that they could brag and have big face over the  new Car.

Well if its discounted, that equals less bragging and less face.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

What is "old tech" about them?  They use computer/electronic devices throughout the engine/transmission/chassis just like Toyota, Honda, etc.   

Now the GM/Chevrolet has been around for a long time, but that does not mean they use old tech....just means they have a product that has sold well for many decades.   

Sometimes I kinda wish car manufacturers still used some old tech as the new technology usually requires a visit to a dealer service center which has the specialized diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot/repair the vehicle since so much of a the car's operation now depends on embedded computers/electronic devices in the vehicle.

High tech in a car today is all down to ;

Gizmos ... Light / cameras / flashing this and flashing that ... 

and

Reduction in pollutants trying to make the engine burn its fuels as efficiently as possible -  Which also will maximize range ....  

The first one I can do without ... the second one .. I like that one ...

17 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Has the vehicle they were happy to pay that price for at the time in any way changed ?? 

Dont see how compensation is valid in that case at all.. Brands have done this many times. 

As anybody anywhere who has found anything bought yesterday at BOGOF the next day will agree awith you

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Nobody here would be happy in this situation. We might complain about it to our GF/wife or friends, but we would understand that something like this happens all the time (usually just not in such dimensions) and then continue with our life. We would not go public and demand our money back.

I mostly agree with you which is rare in itself, but if I thought there was even a chance of some recompense I’d go for it.

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Were they coerced ? Did the sales people and / or the dealership lie to them ?

Hold a gun to their head ?

If all answers a resounding NO ...

Put it down to the continuing cost of your education

Were they coerced ? Yes... it’s normal ????‍♂️

Did the sales people and / or the dealership lie to them? Of course......it’s normal industry practice ????

Hold a gun to their head? Yes Metaphorically in Thailand and 100% literally in USA ????????

nevertheless continued cost ones education ????????

Edited by I wonder
Correction

These guys are making the wrong argument at the wrong door too !

Chevrolet obviously knew before hand that they are going down. They should have informed consumers so that individuals could make informed decisions. Just at that, there's gross misrepresentation from the company's side. 

These guys essentially be asking for a full refund with the consumer court and consider a class action suit to get GM to even move a needle. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

I have never heard about car-prices going down almost 50%. For any reason. 

No but similar happened to big bikes.. Ducati Diavel and Multistrada 1200 were both something like 1.2 mil both went to 800k overnight. 

Fact remains, nothing has physically changed about the vehicle they purchased, the resale assumptions are not Chevs fault. 

Just a pure case of sour grapes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gtm2k said:

Most certainly yes with gross misrepresentation ! GM obviously knew and hid the fact until they really started bleeding from the ears...

Whilst GM 100% knew it was shutting up shop many many many months ago how do you know with certainty they passed that memo along to the dealerships ?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jackdd said:

US class action law firms love a situation like this.

Just now, crazygreg44 said:

that's why almost every contract holds in small print: "prices and specifications are subject to sudden changes and thus cannot be guaranteed"

It should say.."Prices cannot be guaranteed as they may fluctuate by 50%"..????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Whilst GM 100% knew it was shutting up shop many many many months ago how do you know with certainty they passed that memo along to the dealerships ?

Yep, I would imagine the dealers knew nothing about it. Morale in the dealerships would have fallen and news would have got about earlier.

Look, there apparently weren't that many purchasers of the new model before the GM announcement to pull out of TH. There could have been a chance for GM to get ahead of this whole issue with goodwill gesture here of extra servicing or whatever to the 'previous loyal customers' and helped soften the PR blow of them putting a thousands of locals out of work.

They have chosen not to get ahead and to let the bad PR they knew would happen, happen. Are class actions a common thing in Thailand?

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Yep, I would imagine the dealers knew nothing about it. Morale in the dealerships would have fallen and news would have got about earlier.

Look, there apparently weren't that many purchasers of the new model before the GM announcement to pull out of TH. There could have been a chance for GM to get ahead of this whole issue with goodwill gesture here of extra servicing or whatever to the 'previous loyal customers' and helped soften the PR blow of them putting a thousands of locals out of work.

They have chosen not to get ahead and to let the bad PR they knew would happen, happen. Are class actions a common thing in Thailand?

Americans are super cut throat in business . They have just played the Thais at their own game . 

46 minutes ago, gtm2k said:

Most certainly yes with gross misrepresentation ! GM obviously knew and hid the fact until they really started bleeding from the ears...

So if a shop intends to have a fire sale in two weeks time they should inform any potential customers to wait until then to buy?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

massively overpriced old tech american cars - amazes me that people buy these types of cars - and they do in Aust too.

Apart from the brand, the name is actually French (as @klauskunkel pointed out) and, for the record, the 'all-new' Captiva is actually a re-badged Chinese compact crossover. Not that American, I'm sure you'd agree haha...

Edited by outsider
  • Thanks 1