Customers who bought Chevrolets at full price peeved, demand compensation

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

The only thing "American" is the name.

Not even the name is American.

"Louis Chevrolet (1878–1941) was founder of the Chevrolet car company. He was  born in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Neuchatel, Switzerland.   Louis emigrated to America in 1901. One story tells the choosing of the company's logo as a modified Swiss cross, to honor Chevrolet's homeland.

4 minutes ago, seabear said:

"Louis Chevrolet (1878–1941) was founder of the Chevrolet car company. He was  born in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Neuchatel, Switzerland.   Louis emigrated to America in 1901. One story tells the choosing of the company's logo as a modified Swiss cross, to honor Chevrolet's homeland.

https://www.equipmentworld.com/trace-the-100-year-evolution-of-chevrolets-bowtie-logo/#:~:text=The 1914 Royal Mail is,and center of both models.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They were basically giving the away for free at that price, hence the reason I said, I wouldn't buy one if they gave it to me for free.

The above said, when I went looking for a car 4 years ago, I walked into Chevrolet "twice" in two days and no one would serve me, girl behind the counter said on both occasions, salesman on telephone, waiting please, Toyota wouldn't budge on price, Ford on the other hand bent over backwards and dropped their pants, through in extra's and have been spot on with looking after the car for the 3 years servicing and after warranty care.

The Ranger has been all over Thailand, cost me nothing outside of a tyre & battery change, excluding oil changes and a recent intake hose. Still drives like new vehicle with 144,000 klicks, might upgrade when this stock market sorts itself....lol

So what you actually  mean is the  particular dealers you went into were <deleted> and one was  not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seabear said:

Thank you for that bit of history.

Seems the "Swiss Cross", has Germanic origins.

"Nevertheless, the characteristic white cross and the red background of Switzerland's flag have their origin in late middle ages. Until 1648, Switzerland was still part of the German Empire. The member states of the Old Swiss Confederacy did not try to build a nation, they just wanted to get rid of the counts of Habsburg that had tried to strengthen their influence. In the 13th century, the German emperor carried with him a flag with the cross as a holy sign, understanding himself as a protector of christianity.".

7 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Douche move by Chevy but it's a trash brand anyway sold to the ultimately gullible.

What are you talking about, had one when I lived in Thailand and I was VERY happy with the car, had a Ford and a Toyota before the Chevy and the Chevy performed better and was much nicer to drive than both of the others. 

If I still lived in Thailand, I would jump on the offer any minute of the day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Bad decision. 

Should have bought a Toyota. 

Or a Subaru. 

Subaru's Symmetrical AWD is *the* best available and great for the rainy season.

Unfortunately, General Motors (Chevrolet, Cadillac) is one of the 5 worst quality brands on the American market*

Eclipsed only by "Fix It Again Tony" ????

* Not counting the horrible quality European cars, all of which drop like a rock in value after you buy one of their "luxury" overpriced, complicated, high maintenance nightmares.

Meanwhile  back in the real world of real owner  reports we  have  JD  Powers 

Highest-Ranked Brands

Lexus ranks highest in overall vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 106 PP100. This is the eighth consecutive year Lexus ranks highest. Porsche and Toyota rank second in a tie with 108 PP100 each. Chevrolet and Buick round out the top five.

Chrysler is the most-improved brand, with a reduction of 65 PP100 since 2018. Other brands with strong gains include MINI (improvement of 34 PP100) and Subaru (improvement of 31 PP100).

General Motors Company receives five segment awards for the Buick LaCrosse, Buick Verano, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Silverado HD and Chevrolet Sonic.

4 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they stop making the ford ranger in the US about ten years ago ? Just google it and they have started making them again in 2019 after an 8 year hiatus . 

Ford also stopped production in Indonesia just  like GM

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Holden were part of the parent company, General Motors, but were not Chevs, despite some styling similarities. Holdens were designed for the Australian market and in my opinion better than the US vehicles.

Many may not know that, in the noughties, over 30,000 Holden Monaro's were made LHD, exported to the US and rebadged as Pontiac GTOs. 

I owned 4 or 5 Holdens over the years and drove them to places around Australia that many modern 4wds wouldn't venture. My only Ford purchase was <deleted> and I quickly got rid of it.

Holdens were old technology but they were reliable and solid - I owned many of them - never tried a Ford other than rentals and didnt like them - like driving a boat. My first Holden was an FC, then EH, then EK etc etc etc - the EH was my favourite - some bast**** stole it - never even found the plates.  

4 hours ago, Pib said:

What is "old tech" about them?  They use computer/electronic devices throughout the engine/transmission/chassis just like Toyota, Honda, etc.   

Now the GM/Chevrolet has been around for a long time, but that does not mean they use old tech....just means they have a product that has sold well for many decades.   

Sometimes I kinda wish car manufacturers still used some old tech as the new technology usually requires a visit to a dealer service center which has the specialized diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot/repair the vehicle since so much of a the car's operation now depends on embedded computers/electronic devices in the vehicle.

Cant argue with that - when old tech is put together right they often tend to be much more reliable. 

3 hours ago, Polaky said:

I bought a colorado back in 2016 , it has done many k's travellin from Melb to Bris, it has not once faulted, still have it and swear by it, how can you bag a car when you know nothing about it?, ford yeah well that's a different story.

Is not that the Isuzu D-Max rebadged as Holden Colorado - maybe I am wrong.

21 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

So what you actually  mean is the  particular dealers you went into were <deleted> and one was  not.

I don't know about you, but if I walk into a franchise and do not get served or the service was bad, then that franchise has lost my business, regardless if its a car sales yard, a hotel, an airline.

Staff are trained how to attend to customers, now if the staff are lazy, then that is a reflection on management and all the way to the top.

There is competition everywhere, people need to be on their toes, I don't mean for them to bend over backwards, but to jump when they need to. I had a practise for 20 years, and my strike rate was 99% and the referrals were brilliant. I retired 4 years ago, yet people still hunt me down, whether it's through Facebook, Whatsapp, email or mobile, knowing I retired, but still want me to do their work for them, which I do of course, because if people have this kind of loyalty and have been happy with my service over the years, as opposed to going to my competitors, then why not continue to return the serve to them.

The above said, as I said before, a new customer has to be looked after straight away, as it's new business, the others will wait if they are happy with you.

I don't expect to be treated special, just served, e.g. you have a product that I might be interested in, you want to sell it, then get off of your butt, I have come into see it, keep me waiting and so long sucker ! 

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Whilst GM 100% knew it was shutting up shop many many many months ago how do you know with certainty they passed that memo along to the dealerships ?

I  don't think the dealers  knew anything and many GM press releases actually  show the opposite over the last year. 

I  bought one start of 2019  January but cleaved off 120k  off  list  for the simple reason, I  could . Now its  about 50k  lower than I paid for the top spec  Colorado ie the offer is only 200k off the Storm model 4x4 . The  main thing is they were always a minority player  here similar to Ford but more so. Nothing wrong with the Colorado and a load of BS  being talked by people who have never driven a Thai made one.

I'm quite  happy with paying the 980k that I did, its  coming to the end of its  model  life anyway and look on the bright side no "new  model" syndrome!

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't know about you, but if I walk into a franchise and do not get served or the service was bad, then that franchise has lost my business, regardless if its a car sales yard, a hotel, an airline.

Staff are trained how to attend to customers, now if the staff are lazy, then that is a reflection on management and all the way to the top.

There is competition everywhere, people need to be on their toes, I don't mean for them to bend over backwards, but to jump when they need to. I had a practise for 20 years, and my strike rate was 99% and the referrals were brilliant. I retired 4 years ago, yet people still hunt me down, whether it's through Facebook, Whatsapp, email or mobile, knowing I retired, but still want me to do their work for them, which I do of course, because if people have this kind of loyalty and have been happy with my service over the years, as opposed to going to my competitors, then why not continue to return the serve to them.

The above said, as I said before, a new customer has to be looked after straight away, as it's new business, the others will wait if they are happy with you.

I don't expect to be treated special, just served, e.g. you have a product that I might be interested in, you want to sell it, then get off of your butt, I have come into see it, keep me waiting and so long sucker ! 

Thats exactly what I  meant apart from "all the way to the  top", Ive had  terrible service at one Honda  dealer and incredible at another. same with Nissan. Thais are pretty poor  for service Ive found and I went thru numerous different brands. It doesn't however mean a particular  model is <deleted> or a particular manufacturer.  Quite often the service factor is the deal breaker for many people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

I live in America . He’s 100% right with all of that . I personally have a Toyota Tacoma and it’s the best truck I have ever owned . It’s pretty much bulletproof ! I drove the Toyota equivalent truck in Thailand and it felt like a piece of junk . Standards are different the world over .

Note that some vehicles are sold in North America by one name and in other parts of the world under a different name.

When I was in Germany in the mid-80s I bought a (2nd hand) Mitsubishi Sapporo car. One day at work I had a problem as my key wouldn't unlock the door. Another guy came along and it turns out, it was his car (he'd parked beside me on purpose).
Except that his car was a Dodge Colt that he'd had shipped over from Canada (the military paid for the shipping costs if we brought a vehicle over in the first year of a posting).

We poured over both cars and the only difference we could find was one was called a Dodge Colt and the other a Mitsubishi Sapporo. They sold them as Dodges in North America and Sapporos everywhere else. Inside, outside and under the hood they were identical. (Though the North American models had different safety glass and catalytic converters, which weren't required in other countries at the time.)

My last truck was a Chevy S-10 and that thing was awesome. Club cab with the side "half door" worked great for hauling groceries, camping gear or hockey equipment. I put that thing through it's paces for the couple years I had it before I went to Afghanistan (and it basically sat in dad's yard for the next 5 years without moving). Best vehicle I ever owned.

Summer                                                                                                                                   Winter
879755094_afewdaysworthofwood.jpg.4787efdd423d97b64399d423b4d428fc.jpg  2000306211_whoneedssnowplows.jpg.5df927e76b28f408cbb3c1901f42fb63.jpg

Would love to have the equivalent vehicle over here one day, though I don't need it while I'm living in the city and I suspect I wouldn't be hauling firewood or driving in the snow (or hauling hockey gear) over here either !

At least, not yet. Maybe in a couple years when the Virus has wiped out most of the population and all that's left are me, some hot Thai girls and a whack of zombies !

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Keep in mind that even with that huge discount, Chevy is NOT losing money on this deal !

They are simply willing to take less than they'd make.

The same holds true for almost everything you buy these days. That's why businesses can offer "2 for 1" deals and seemingly heavy discounts on stuff, because almost everything is marked up by 60-70(+) % by the time you buy it !

Many years ago my friend had a toy shop. His sell price was 250% of his wholesale purchase price. Apparently that is standard practice.

I guess Chevvy are still make a hundred grand or more even at the discounted price.

Edited by emptypockets

Quote:-

"the company will not compensate customers"

My commiserations to all these customers but if NOBODY buys one of the 4,000 remaining Chevrolet's, even at a discount price, Chevrolet Thailand will be left with a large pile of scrap metal to clear!!! 

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I purchased my Ranger here in 2016, they also make them or sell them in Australia, as for rear seat belts, ours has them, wouldn't have purchase it without em as we have kids, and we wouldn't put them in the rear tray as Thai's do, hence seat belts being a MUST.

Some Thai vehicles are manufactured to meet the highest standard for the customer market, then de-optioned for the local market.

Not unusual to buy a Thai made car in Oz with 5 or 7 airbags compared to 2 in Thailand, a heater for Oz and none for Thai. And usually at a lower price in Oz, particularly the last few years of low exchange rates.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"the company will not compensate customers"

My commiserations to all these customers but if NOBODY buys one of the 4,000 remaining Chevrolet's, even at a discount price, Chevrolet Thailand will be left with a large pile of scrap metal to clear!!! 

Reduce them enough and they will go, people can't resist a bargain. Like a mate, bought a green suit because it was half price, never wore it mind, but he saved a heap.

• Haha 2

It's ridiculous that because there is a sale, previous buyers want to go back and receive the discount after purchase. Can you imagine buying a product from anyone in Thailand and then when the sales come along, going in and demanding the discount. 5555555

7 hours ago, ignis said:

Brand New Captiva from 499,000 baht, or there is a re-badge 2007 Daewoo down the road for 695,000 baht with just over 100,000 km on the clock !!

But you can't buy a new Captiva here now so it doesn't matter what the price would be!

Edited by Just Weird

23 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Reduce them enough and they will go, people can't resist a bargain. Like a mate, bought a green suit because it was half price, never wore it mind, but he saved a heap.

Absolutely, if they drop the top spec Colorado to 50% off I will buy 2 of them.

7 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I don't see how your advise will help people who are now paying insurance policies that will not cover the cost of replacement vehicle learn from a multinational pullout.

Unless you have an 'agreed value' policy (and are therefore paying an associated increased premium) no insurer guarantees a like-for-like replacement, do they?  In the event of a total loss the payout would be the insurer's estimate of the current value, surely?