Seven killed, 150 injured in riots in Indian capital

snoop1130

Seven killed, 150 injured in riots in Indian capital

By Devjyot Ghoshal, Manoj Kumar

rgtr.PNG

People supporting the new citizenship law beat a Muslim man during a clash with those opposing the law in New Delhi, India, February 24, 2020. REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - At least seven people were killed and around 150 were injured in clashes between opposing groups in the Indian capital, a police official told Reuters on Tuesday, the deadliest riots in the city since protests against a new citizenship law began over two months ago.

“Seven persons, including one head constable of Delhi police, have died,” said Anil Mittal, a police officer, adding around 150 persons were injured in the violence on Monday.

The clashes erupted in a northeastern district of the city between thousands of people demonstrating for and against the new citizenship law. Police used tear gas and smoke grenades, but struggled to disperse the stone-throwing crowds that tore down metal barricades and set vehicles and a petrol pump alight.

“Some of the people brought in had gunshot wounds,” said Dr Rajesh Kalra, additional medical superintendent at the Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital in New Delhi.

Tensions in parts of the city remained high on Tuesday with schools remaining shut in some areas amid news reports of fresh clashes. At least five metro stations in the city were closed.

A fire department official told Reuters that its teams were responding to reports of at least eight separate cases of arson on Tuesday, linked to fresh protests in the city. One department vehicle was also torched by protesters on Monday, and a small number of firemen were injured in the violence, he added.

The violence on Monday began just as U.S. President Donald Trump began his maiden visit to India. Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi are set to meet for talks on Tuesday at a venue located a few miles away from where the clashes occurred.

At a press conference early on Tuesday, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal appealed for people to maintain peace, “Whatever problems people have can be resolved peacefully,” he said. “Violence will not help find a solution.”

India’s Home Minister Amit Shah is expected to meet Kejriwal and police officials on Tuesday afternoon to discuss the situation.

India’s capital has been a hotbed of protests against the new Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA), which eases the path of non-Muslims from three neighbouring Muslim-dominated countries to gain Indian citizenship.

This has led to accusations that Modi and his Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are undermining India’s secular traditions. The BJP denies any bias against India’s more than 180 million-strong Muslim minority, but objectors have been holding protests and camping out in parts of New Delhi for two months.

The violence erupted even as Trump was praising India as being a tolerant country.

“India is a country that proudly embraces freedom, liberty, individual rights, the rule of law, and the dignity of every human being,” Trump said while addressing a rally of more than 100,000 people in Modi’s home state of Gujarat. “Your unity is an inspiration to the world.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Its a bit Similar when Britain left India, they Killed each other by the millions. What did Britain ever do for India , letters on a postcard too.

Railways, legal system, education, sanitation, law and order ending sutee no discrimination on the basis of religion in the army and bureaucracy, and giving them a world language? we also gave them tea from China

Edited by Orton Rd

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Destroyed India’s textile industry, created a number of famines, stripped vast sums of money from India..... where do you want your post cards sent?

The history of colonialism is a mixed bag for sure with benefits and injustices a plenty. In the end, Cultures best to be left to their owned determined devises unless critical happenings threaten greater humanity. It gets sticky ...

• Like 2

Nationalism is on the rise everywhere these days and it doesn't bode well really. The Indians are pretty nationalistic and the BJP is Hindu nationalism's poster-boy organisation. Conflict between India and it's neighbours is never far away and when it comes to Pakistan then it's little more than a blood feud really. Religion always seems to get in the way as it's used to control the masses and keep them in line. I guess that the Hindus feel threatened by the spread of Islam within it's borders as it's a path to power for Muslims which seems to be being replicated all over the world. Mass free movement of people is a mistake really, with hindsight ...professionals or those with something to offer is OK but this endless acceptance of the wrong type of immigration will be the downfall of many places and we are seeing a push back already in many places (like here in Thailand). Time will bare this out and we are already seeing the first signs of a dystopian future arising in places that have current laws that fit ideals that belong in the 70s/80s and are hopelessly outdated for the present. That's why you are seeing uncompromising leaders being elected all over the world ...lefty liberalism is coming to an end and you won't see the La La Land political parties get elected much longer. Apart from trade/tourism you are going to start seeing countries shutting up shop on pretty much everything else as the pee has been taken for too long.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Its a bit Similar when Britain left India, they Killed each other by the millions. What did Britain ever do for India , letters on a postcard too.

I were just having a Dig, Regardless of right or wrong Some people only see the negative side of things, There were 43 diffrent dialects in India now they can speak to each other through English,

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

You do understand the photo you refer to is Hindus cowardly beating a defenceless Muslim. Modi is a right Wing Hindu Nationalist who is driving a political wedge between Hindus and Muslims. No wonder trump & Modi allegedly get on well - birds of a feather flock together. I say 'allegedly' as I seriously doubt Modi was impressed by trump's terrible mispronunciation of the names of revered Hindus such as Swami Vivekananda.

Selected for a nice bit of Muslims are the eternal victims propaganda. They also make large about a Mosque being torched, news agencies don't seem keen on ever mentioning the many Churches attacked by Muslims all over the world though, when they are allowed to be there at all of course. Partition happened because Muslims wanted their own country of Pakistan, that is where they should be, not in India.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

The history of colonialism is a mixed bag for sure with benefits and injustices a plenty. In the end, Cultures best to be left to their owned determined devises unless critical happenings threaten greater humanity. It gets sticky ...

Immigration in small numbers is no problem ,the problems arise when too many people with different religions,ways and practices descend on other countrys ,just like what is happening to the west at the moment ,

now i just know who is going to say i am wrong or put up sad faces.lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

You do understand the photo you refer to is Hindus cowardly beating a defenceless Muslim. Modi is a right Wing Hindu Nationalist who is driving a political wedge between Hindus and Muslims. No wonder trump & Modi allegedly get on well - birds of a feather flock together. I say 'allegedly' as I seriously doubt Modi was impressed by trump's terrible mispronunciation of the names of revered Hindus such as Swami Vivekananda.

And of course Cricket players

https://youtu.be/NHoYIpRcqBU

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Immigration in small numbers is no problem ,the problems arise when too many people with different religions,ways and practices descend on other countrys ,just like what is happening to the west at the moment ,

now i just know who is going to say i am wrong or put up sad faces.lol

Hmmm, my comment was a Direct response to colonialism rather than today’s immigration issues.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Apart from building their the railways, while we were there we stopped them killing each other by the millions.  As you say, it happened after we left.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Hmmm, my comment was a Direct response to colonialism rather than today’s immigration issues.

Ok ,but what i said still stands,i was making a point ,but of course some on here thing mass immigration ,especially of one faith is a wonderful thing . Q the sad faces 

26 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Ok ,but what i said still stands,i was making a point ,but of course some on here thing mass immigration ,especially of one faith is a wonderful thing . Q the sad faces 

I didnt know there was mass immigration of muslims to india. Have they caused trouble or is it the hindus.

19 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I didnt know there was mass immigration of muslims to india. Have they caused trouble or is it the hindus.

Ive gone off track ,i was talking about mass immigration on the whole ,As for India ,the muslims made Bangladesh and Pakistan,their home ,the trouble in India now is About the muslims ,