British man, 70, rescued by Thai navy after three days adrift off Phuket

snoop1130

British man, 70, rescued by Thai navy after three days adrift off Phuket

By The Phuket News

1582627516_1-org.jpg

The stricken yacht Pollen Path under tow back to Phuket. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET:-- A 70-year-old British man adrift on his yacht for three days was rescued by the Royal Thai Navy last night and brought safely back to Phuket, making landfall at the navy base at Cape Panwa, on Phuket’s east coast, this morning (Feb 25).

Vice Admiral Cherngchai Chomcherngpat, Commander of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command based in Phuket, told The Phuket News that the British man, Michael Turner, was alone on his sailboat “Pollen Path” when the engine failed.

Mr Turner was making his way from the west coast of Phuket to Chalong Pier when the boat suffered the mechanical failure, V/Adm Cherngchai explained.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/british-man-70-rescued-by-thai-navy-after-three-days-adrift-off-phuket-74998.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-25
  • Like 2

Oooh, "The Thai Navy (Including nice shot of flag) saves British man".......... If the silly pratt couldn't hoist sail and get back to land then they should of left him out there until he learned........  "The sea and sky don't tolerate fools"..........  Me thinks there's more to the story though, most sailors have plenty of nouse, unless he'd just wondered out of a bar and "Set sail"........or his case, "Started motor".......... This article seems to be in a similar vein as "Honest Thai taxi driver hands back millions to farang tourist"........ What would Francis Chichester say ? 

• Like 1

Can a sail be partially hoisted in stormy weather to get going again?

I ask you, because I don't know

Are 2 people required to set sail in stormy weather?

For a single operator, that may be quite a daunting task in rough weather

Edited by 9653
Additional info

1 minute ago, Docno said:

Poster on p1 has a link to the fellow's website. Seems that he's been sailing that particular boat around SE Asia since 2011. Presumably his sailing experience goes back further than that. Must be something we're missing...

I would probably think either an injury or maybe at his age a stroke or something......   Mind you i'm surprised the Thai Navy went out that far......  Brave sea dogs...... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

He really should have taken a couple of oars out with him 

At least he would have had something to do until the navy arrived 

Or learnt how to "sail" a sail boat, like mariners did before engines were invented!

25 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

I will have to agree as it seems he has had expereince sailing so would have to be more than just engine failure.  Injury , alzhimers ( forget how to navigate ) damage to compass/rudder/sails ?  Think sailing alone not a good idea at his age IMHO

I think you are right. There shall be something else other than the engine failure. 

• Like 1