British man, 70, rescued by Thai navy after three days adrift off Phuket

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

surely there is a tender attached to boat with oars, unless the "survival" craft is an inflatable one.

Impossible to row from the deck that high up though,so no use in this situation.

You can get some oars that reach really low levels and they can row, even if the deck is elevated

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 9653 said:

Can a sail be partially hoisted in stormy weather to get going again?

I ask you, because I don't know

Are 2 people required to set sail in stormy weather?

For a single operator, that may be quite a daunting task in rough weather

What about the round the world solo sailors ???...they are on their own....

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

My thoughts, even in a strong wind use less sail, 3 days, something missing there, did he use radio for assistance from other yatchies?

Probably used the Radio, but nobody on the receiving end could speak a single word of English.

• Haha 2

Break failure if you ask me .....

Or he knows that the mast and / or its support has some serious structural issues ...  Hence did not want to set sails in case he would have series structural failure ...

Or maybe he had no sails on the boat ...

Edited by rvaviator
error ...

1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

What about the round the world solo sailors ???...they are on their own....

They are young, sea-hardened, experienced circum- navigators, ready to take on the world, literally.

not 70 year old inexperienced fat bellied idiots

17 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Wonder if Thai Navy claims salvage rights ????

I read somewhere a rule of the sea, if a ship offer the tow rope to you, they can not, but if you offer the rope to them they can.  well i think it was that way round but grey matter is eroding LOL 

I also compliment the Thai Navy for recueing him. It would have been a welcome change to their normal routine and a good training exercise.

Just a few things spring to mind (although I was an aviator not a  seaman)....

Having got the location from the cargo ship why didn't they go straight to those coordinates ((allowing a little for known drift etc....sea.and winds) rather than rendezvous with the ship first, then go looking for the yacht?

Also surely the navy had nautical radar to aid in spotting the yacht?

And not forgetting the emergency locator beacon which surely the Brit had activated?

This is picked up by both other shipping AND over overflying aircraft !

Just a few thoughts.

27 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I also compliment the Thai Navy for recueing him. It would have been a welcome change to their normal routine and a good training exercise.

Just a few things spring to mind (although I was an aviator not a  seaman)....

Having got the location from the cargo ship why didn't they go straight to those coordinates ((allowing a little for known drift etc....sea.and winds) rather than rendezvous with the ship first, then go looking for the yacht?

Also surely the navy had nautical radar to aid in spotting the yacht?

And not forgetting the emergency locator beacon which surely the Brit had activated?

This is picked up by both other shipping AND over overflying aircraft !

Just a few thoughts.

A friend did an exercise once with a largish State Emergency Services motor boat....about 35 foot aluminium hull. He set out to sea for some miles and activated the EPIRB. The spotter aircraft took off in the general direction but it took a very long time to find the boat. That was in calm seas. Seems it's not as easy to do as we see in the movies. Just a tiny blob in a vast area of sea. Might be a similar situation with the Navy's radar trying to locate him.

Edited by emptypockets

Three days adrift and at least two sunsets and sunrises giving you East and West, considering he was off Phuket the worst he could do with three days drift is either hit Bangladesh or Singapore.....  Nah the old bloke was incapacitated, couldn't set sail, wind's with him as well..... West to east..... Should of done a Slocum and gone down with his vessel.......I'd love to hear the full story though....

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Three days adrift. He appears to be an experienced yachtsman, so, as such why did he not employ one of the first rules of solo navigation which is to inform someone your departure time, from where you are leaving, your intended route, and destination, and estimated arrival time. That way, if he did not turn up then the alarm is raised.

It often happens when people are very experienced they get very careless. I always remembered a teacher of mine who used to climb and mountaineer he had decades of experience on Scottish mountains. One day he decided to go and do a munro conditions were OK however there was snow on the mountain. He slipped and fell to his death. They found all his gear in the boot (trunk) of his car: ice axes, crampons etc. Just to confident. Very sad think he was 50. Back then I thought that was old.... Lol

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Perhaps a 70 year old man should not be out on the high seas!!??

Just a thought!

The oldest successful solo round world sailor was 81

Perhaps he  did not want to be found??Sailing to oblivion??

6 hours ago, 9653 said:

Can a sail be partially hoisted in stormy weather to get going again?

I ask you, because I don't know

Are 2 people required to set sail in stormy weather?

For a single operator, that may be quite a daunting task in rough weather

The "storm" didn't come within a minute. 

Any somehow experienced sailor would have prepared his boat before.

And..... the strong wind didn't last for 3 days. 

Maybe he was drunk at that time. Who knows? ????

37 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

The "storm" didn't come within a minute. 

Any somehow experienced sailor would have prepared his boat before.

And..... the strong wind didn't last for 3 days. 

Maybe he was drunk at that time. Who knows? ????

Yes, one ever gets to know, what was going on in the cabin down below ( for 3 days ) ...