The laugh emoji - confused poster

Nigel Garvie

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

I don't ever recall seeing it & I've used this site since 2005.

IIRC 2005 was about the time that the "dislike" button was removed. I think it was the result of a suggestion/poll/campaign by jingthing.

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I think there should only be the "Like" reaction. all the others diminish the function of this forum.

Also, IIRC, there was just a "like" button for a while. The new set of 4 options came later.

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's a quite simple concept to grasp once one looks at the overall score or reputation someone has. If you give a laugh they get plus one on their reputation count, same as a like or a thanks. Confused and sad do NOT give an addition to their reputation and hence, credibility.

I see a lot of far right and far left posters making outrageous claims and being laughed at, which gives them a positive score, when one of the negative ones might have been more appropriate.

Most people from the tone of their post know if someone is laughing with them, or at them, and the other emojis are even simpler.

I never  knew that re. the laugh emoji.

I use it mostly if I find something funny, there are some posters on here with sharp wits.

Confess I have used it on a few occasions when I feel a post is outlandish.

Anyway gave you a Thanks as at least I learned  something albeit far more important things in life than emojis and their useage.

The laugh emoji is not complicated for me. I use it if I am laughing with you or at you. Context generally makes the case obvious. I could care less if they get a rep point for it. I haven't managed to leverage any of mine into cash yet, I don't they can either.

Now, the confused emoji is a different subject. i refrain form using it. When I see someone use it, I take it as them saying that they are stupid.

The sad emoji, I don't really know what to do with that either. I have used it, but I don't know how it is interpreted.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 2

I detest those 555s...

The emojis seem okay to me.

1.Confused-I think you are going nuts.

2.Sad-existing beyond the event horizon.

3.like-let us be nuts together..

4.Thank you for confirming the fact that I am young,rich,hansum and velly velly clever..(which is why I spend all of my time on ThaiVisa)

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes.

If you post 1st page will always get high sticker amount. Sure. 

But if same Yinn and Danny, we always fighting each other page 20+. Not care the sticker, care the topic.

Also a thaibash post on first page always = many like sticker.

Three member, D, C and K always like to post the first page. Like to be first post, no time to read the link. Say anything.  I think because they want “like”. Important for them reputation score. I not care score, I care the true story= not popular.

Before the POTY game I not give much sticker. But when play the game, I joke “vote buy” strategy, give so many “like and thankyou” sticker every post, everybody. 

I do for joke, but NOBODY understand/see my joke. 

Also so I use the bikini model for “like” sticker. 555555 so easy.

December 2020 cannot get here quick enough.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Yinn said:

Amazing a forum with man, average age 65, think seriously about send each other “sticker”!

A Thai lady of indeterminate age, but presumably under 65, stuck for something useful to fill her day (?), finds it necessary to contribute to a thread she derides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Now, the confused emoji is a different subject. i refrain form using it. When I see someone use it, I take it as them saying that they are stupid.

I agree, why not ask for a clarification if you are confused? Or is that too confusing! Is it beyond your intellect?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PatOngo said:

People who send the confused emoji amuse me, I think they are not bright enough to work out what the actual post is about or they are just plain stupid! 

There's lots of posters in that category, I mean like zillions.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2020 at 7:01 PM, sirineou said:

I think there should only be the "Like" reaction. all the others diminish the function of this forum.

If someone thinks a post is funny they should say so. If they are "Confused' they should say why so that the poster explains him/her self and such confusion is removed, If a poster is "Sad" they should express their sadness in song or poetry LOL . All of the above suggestions would bring forum participation up, the current system only server those with nothing to say, to pretend that they do but are to superior to waste their time.

I wonder how many "Sad" reactions I will get for this post and sad to say no poetry and not even a song. 

Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
    Weep, and you weep alone;
For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
    But has trouble enough of its own.
Sing, and the hills will answer;
    Sigh, it is lost on the air;
The echoes bound to a joyful sound,
    But shrink from voicing care.

• Like 1

Some members that leave a confused emoji cannot believe you have the audacity to have a different opinion to them, and after a while they start to resent you for writing something they don't want to read. So they are not confused, they just think that by leaving a confused emoji it will belittle the post, it doesn't, IMO it just makes them look childish.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Some members that leave a confused emoji cannot believe you have the audacity to have a different opinion to them, and after a while they start to resent you for writing something they don't want to read. So they are not confused, they just think that by leaving a confused emoji it will belittle the post, it doesn't, IMO it just makes them look childish.

There should be a a direct down vote. You reach a negative score and get consigned to a sub-forum. Joe Rogan had a board like that you could get demoted. It kept the site active as far as numbers and the most offensive trolls and idiots were quarantined.

You could also begin to post worthwhile content and be reinstated. It was a clever set up. Then the world became woke and Rogan pulled the plug. The internet is serious stuff these days.

On 2/25/2020 at 7:28 PM, Yinn said:

Amazing a forum with man, average age 65, think seriously about send each other “sticker”!

I'm late to the show here, as I just discover this thread.

Strange enough I didn't even have to check who gave you a SAD emoji , as it was so predictable which poster with sour grapes that was.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Susco said:

I'm late to the show here, as I just discover this thread.

Strange enough I didn't even have to check who gave you a SAD emoji , as it was so predictable which poster with sour grapes that was.

Yes, like read all my post. My follower. Look my profile everyday.

5 hours ago, Susco said:

I think that is easily fixable.

When I look at the reputation history of some poster, I will notice that more than half of the emoji's they handed out are sad ones, and I'm talking about members with a large history.

I hear even noises that if they receive a sad for their post, they will go cry with a mod or send pm's to the member who gave them the sad.

Really not difficult to see what those people have in mind, and could be fixed quickly

Correct. The guy who give all the sad sticker always report

Snitch.

I think funny 75+ guy have personality style like this.

IMO all emojis are counterproductive. This is a forum, a place where people exchange ideas and opinions, God gave as words for that.

Emojis is mental laziness, they detract from the function of a forum. A confused emoji tells me nothing other than that Maybe. Maybe you are confused . 

I don't care that you are  confused, all I want to know is why you are confused so that I might have a conversation with you , which is the reason why I am here.

I am here to have a conversation. I am not here to find out your emotional state,

Talk to your therapist about that, don't tell me. I can't help you.   

Two emojis are enough IMO  "Like:, and "Don't like" , everything else can be expressed with words. 

Oh wait ... Bah humbug !!!

Edited by sirineou

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Yes, like read all my post. My follower. Look my profile everyday.

But you collect photos of me, don't you....?

Hmmmmmm, now that is a bit strange, although flattering...................????

On 2/25/2020 at 7:48 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Does anyone take any notice of the reputation score?

I don't, anyway the posters who come on first will get the best chance of upping their reputation score for obvious reasons, I don't usually come on till later as I am used to getting the Newsletter after many other posters, sometimes you will see my username come up about three or more times together after the newsletter has been running a few hours.