Why is return ticket required for work visa?

That was not a requirement when I worked in Thailand many years ago.

But there was another problem: towards the end of my time, I found that the last working day is the last day I'm permitted to stay. So I would finish work 5 pm and have to leave the country by midnight. I took the last day off so I could get out without rush.

As you are applying for a Work Permit, you are still under you current 90 day business visa. Therefore, you need a return ticket under that current visa.

Once you get work permit, no return ticket needed you can cancel and get a refund. 

At end of your Work Permit you have 7-days from date Work Permit is cancelled to leave or change to a different visa. Have done twice in last 20 years. No problems.

7 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

As you are applying for a Work Permit, you are still under you current 90 day business visa. Therefore, you need a return ticket under that current visa.

He still waiting in his home country for the non-b visa to be issued.

A work permit has nothing to do with needing a flight out of the country.

You are getting confused about a B class visa, which is issued normally in you home country for 

3 months for entry into Thailand. Then you or your employer start the extension & WP process.

Nobody has ever had to leave the country that day after their B class extension is cancelled.

You get 7 days

6 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

At end of your Work Permit you have 7-days from date Work Permit is cancelled to leave or change to a different visa. Have done twice in last 20 years. No problems.

I thought it was 7 days for BOI companies and 24hours for Non Boi companies ?

ChristianPFC should have used that last day off work to go and get a 7 day extension to give himself some breathing room to leave.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

I thought it was 7 days for BOI companies and 24hours for Non Boi companies ?

The one stop center will give 7 days to leave the country.

For others it is midnight on the day the extension is canceled or apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The one stop center will give 7 days to leave the country.

For others it is midnight on the day the extension is canceled or apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country after it is denied.

Thanks, I was sorta almost on the right track. Always handy to be set straight for future reference.

Had the same experience. The embassy's (Washington) website listed return ticket under the B visa requirements. As we had plenty of time, I showed up as soon as they opened and was prepared (if necessary) to buy a cheap ticket online and come back later.

I had everything else in order and walked them through all my materials (which included an employment contract) while noting that I didn't have a return ticket for the same reasons you don't want/need one. They said I was fine without a return ticket.

So it seems they're pretty careless when it comes to these embassy/consulate websites. Then again, I have to complete a government form that asks for me "assress," so...it's to be expected. I'm perfectly willing to point out how things can be better with the bureaucracy here, but I've largely had good experiences. Even when things are confusing, most Thai functionaries are willing to work with you or be understanding of some technical shortcomings. When they haven't been, they've been patient with me.

For example, I didn't have a photo glued to some extension form. It's such a stupid rule. They take your photo there, anyway. They have copies galore of my photo. It's 2020...so aren't they paperless? And so on...

While waiting in the queue, I tried to jury-rig a solution. I had an extra photocopy (black and white) of my passport. I "cut" (folded and ripped as neatly as possible) the photo out and glue-stuck it onto the form, hoping they wouldn't notice. The female IO noticed and gave me a combination of scorn and "this is funny" as I tried to play dumb and tell her that it said "passport" so I thought they wanted a copy of my passport photo. She laughed, told me there was a photobooth outside, and went through everything else before sending me on my way. It took about 15 minutes to get the photo, and when I came back she handed me back the passport with everything stamped and approved before I even handed her the photos. No back of the queue for me.

A good attitude and a reasonable effort to comply goes a long way, even if you make a mistake.

That said, they should have clearer rules, less idiotic paperwork, and more consistent enforcement. I get that other people have bad experiences from unreasonable IOs who either make up requirements or are completely unforgiving of even the slightest noncompliance. So I won't go all Salty Squad and say "their country, their rules" and forgive Thai authorities' transgressions. But I think it's important to balance complaints with a recognition that folks of good will can usually find a way to make things work.

Edited by scottiddled
clarity
  • Thanks 2